PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find Belt of Wizardry?

aglondier
2020-06-25, 08:06 AM
Many years ago, while playing 3.0 - 3.5, I came across a really nifty belt for wizards/sorcerors. It had component pouches that allowed you to cast without actually fishing out the components, it had a couple of wand sheaths that let you activate the wands without drawing them, and it had a sheath for a staff or rod that did the same. I think it may have also had a pouch for your familiar to hide in with an extra-dimensional habitat.

If anyone else can recall this wondrous device and its reference, I would much appreciate it.

Caelestion
2020-06-25, 09:13 AM
The closest thing I know to that is the Belt of Many Pockets from Tome & Blood.

Duke of Urrel
2020-06-25, 09:41 AM
The closest thing that I can find to the familiar storage device you describe is the Familiar Pocket spell, a second-level sorcerer-wizard spell of the Universal school. It appears on page 106 of COMPLETE ARCANE.

If the item that you're looking for still exists under 3.5 rules, you probably need the Familiar Pocket spell to create it.

Palanan
2020-06-25, 10:54 AM
Could this be something from the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide? That had a lot of odd little things like this.

Thurbane
2020-06-25, 05:38 PM
Checked A&EG, no matches I could see. Also did a quick search through online WotC articles, with no luck.

The closest match I could find in my searching was the Belt of Many Pockets that Caelestion already mentioned (reprinted in Complete Arcane, I believe). There's also the Belt of Hidden Pouches in MIC/RotW, but that is less of a match.

If this isn't home-brew, I think it's likely to be in a FR splat book, or maybe an issue of Dragon or Dungeon...but by all indicators I would say it was a DM modified version of the Belt of Many Pockets.

The closest thing that I can find to the familiar storage device you describe is the Familiar Pocket spell, a second-level sorcerer-wizard spell of the Universal school. It appears on page 106 of COMPLETE ARCANE.

If the item that you're looking for still exists under 3.5 rules, you probably need the Familiar Pocket spell to create it.

The Belt of Many Pockets does indeed require the Familiar Pocket spell in its creation.

On a side note, I did discover a few items during my search that I never knew existed before now:

Belt of the Camel (Dragon Compendium p.132): continuous Endure Elements plus you don't require water.
Belt of Mighty Prowess (S&F p.77): +6 Str and +6 Con.
Gorothir's Girdle (Und p.134): +5 deflection bonus to AC, and a bunch of evil SLAs.

Mordaedil
2020-06-26, 02:35 AM
Do DM's generally require you to spend an action to draw material components?

Duke of Urrel
2020-06-26, 09:59 AM
Do DM's generally require you to spend an action to draw material components?

They should. Drawing a spell's material component from a spell component pouch is a free action. This means that drawing a material component to cast a spell doesn't take any time if you do it during your turn. But you can't instantly draw a material component outside of your turn as a reaction to something that happens to you outside of your turn, such as being grappled. (And once you have been grappled, drawing a material component becomes a full-round action.)

I am skeptical that any magic item exists that accomplishes all the things that the OP mentioned. Or if it ever existed, it probably was not updated for 3.5 rules.

aglondier
2020-06-26, 10:02 AM
Generally not. But which material components you pull out makes identifying the spell you are casting much easier... while not doing so makes it much harder.