PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Non-combat encounter in a forest

MicHag
2020-06-25, 01:14 PM
My party will travel through a forest, on the outskirts of civilized lands.

Story-wise there can't be a large civilization there (no huge elven city for example), since that would have been known. What is there is a refugee Goliath camp they have fled from their homes over the mountains on the far side of the forest, because there is a threat there.

Besides a combat encounter (like a few Dire Wolves) i was thinking of also giving them one or two non-combat encounters.

I have four different encounters, but this community have in the past provided me with information and add-ons that improve the encounters.
What i have so far:

Druid
The party notices a couple of growling wolfs further ahead. Should they observe well, they notice they are "guarding" some kind of make-shift hut. Should they approach it, they find out a friendly druid lives there. He might give them some knowledge, but also home-brew potions they can have, for their mission is worthy to the druid. Should they be interested in more potions, they can try to gather a certain kind of flower and come back to the druid so he can create some more healing potions.
He also is able to create a Beget Bogun for them and if one of them manages a decent Handle Animal, one of the wolves would like to join them, since the old druid doesn't travel much anymore, and the wolf loves an adventure.

Statue
They find a statue, in the middle of nowhere. Should they somehow be able to bring the statue along, or come back at some other point and cast Stone to Flesh on the statue they find out this was a Ranger, who was stoned for centuries. He was among a group of hunters that were tracking a band of evil Snake-people, coming from the desert much further away. He was stoned by a medusa among the band. With nothing left for him in this time and place, he is set to travel to those deserts and take revenge.

Dwarfs
They stumble upon a horrible scene of slain Dwarfs, some skinned, some partly eaten. When they go through their stuff they find a journal that explains they come from the nearby mountains, were a Troll has slain Dwarven Women and Children from their camp. They were tracking him to get revenge, but ended up....like this....

Magic Pond
In the middle of the forest they find a pond, and with a good listen check they notice music, flutes and panpipes, but see nothing. Looking in the water they see reflections of their true selves (all of them are in a different body, long story).
Should they stay until evening, thos playing the music become visible. They are fey that want to party with them, but actually are trying to pickpocket them for gold or items.

Any help is appreciated. I know the information provided is limited, but writing every detail would make this a whole book. I hope what i wrote suffices.

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-25, 02:20 PM
I can toss a few more ideas out there, if you want.

Other encounters for deep forest could be a charcoal camp, logging camp or old hunting lodge. Offer the party a bed and hot meal for some gossip and work. Maybe throw in a side quest to deliver some letters for the workers, or let the party do some gambling (a logging camp would be an interesting place to run into an above average axe of some sort that they could win)

You could toss in an herbalist that is looking for rare plants, or a hive of giant bees (or a giant hive of bees. Either could be fun!). Honey is rather valuable after all.

A dryad wants the party to take a cutting from her tree, and splice it onto another tree someplace else so she can travel between them.

An old (air? pirate? Space?) ship stuck up in the canopy. Could be people inside. Could be ghosts. Could just be a pack of raccoons. Either way, with the storm on the horizon, it would be a great place to hold up for a night or two.

TiaC
2020-06-25, 09:58 PM
A unicorn giving birth, and having a hard time. They can help with the birth, but her mate will return soon and will be aggressive.

A dryad arguing with a family of pixies that want to live in the branches of her tree, but she thinks they're too loud and is worried they'll damage her tree.

A single ancient oak that was awakened centuries ago. It is suspicious of humanoids and will ask them to argue their case or turn back.

Palanan
2020-06-25, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by TiaC
A unicorn giving birth, and having a hard time. They can help with the birth, but her mate will return soon and will be aggressive.

Just to riff on this, instead of a mate, the unicorn is the companion of a Beloved of Valarian, who misinterprets the party's help as an attempt to steal the foal.

Psyren
2020-06-26, 01:55 AM
For your wolf idea, I suggest not having them growl unless the PCs do something overtly threatening. Wolves are a common forest enemy, and you don't want your players to attack before they realize it's not a fight.

I love the fey crooks idea, just make sure your players have a chance (even a slim one) to notice what they're doing.