PDA

View Full Version : Venomverse and the MCU

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-06-25, 07:19 PM
Sony and Marvel have flip-flopped over whether or not Venom takes place in the MCU, but with the Morbius trailer it seems to be edging towards ‘it is’ so if we assume that to be the case, when in the MCU timeline does Venom happen?

An Enemy Spy
2020-06-26, 12:45 AM
I feel like Sony is desperately trying to make you think their stuff is MCU adjacent while Disney is like "As long as we get Spider-Man you can pretend whatever you want, Sony."

Psyren
2020-06-26, 02:11 AM
IIRC, Venom takes place in San Francisco, so there's not a lot of reason for it to have overlapped with any of the other MCU goings-on. In short it could have taken place anytime.

The only other Cali MCU property I can think of is Runaways, and that's set in LA.

Precure
2020-06-26, 05:45 AM
Runaways is part of MCU?

Aresneo
2020-06-26, 07:48 AM
IIRC, Venom takes place in San Francisco, so there's not a lot of reason for it to have overlapped with any of the other MCU goings-on. In short it could have taken place anytime.

The only other Cali MCU property I can think of is Runaways, and that's set in LA.

The Ant-man movies are set in San Francisco except for the one sequence at the Avengers compound.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-06-26, 08:03 AM
I feel like Sony is desperately trying to make you think their stuff is MCU adjacent while Disney is like "As long as we get Spider-Man you can pretend whatever you want, Sony."

I’m inclined to agree. I really doubt we’ll ever see, for example, Venom in Captain Marvel or vice-versa. And I can’t really blame Marvel/Disney, because all other things aside the MCU is already spiraling out of control size-wise and they don’t really need help there.

But I’d love to see Tom Holland and Tom Hardy as their respective super-people in the same movie, and after Far From Home it is now at least plausible that nice guy Eddie would travel across country to bite the head off nice kid Peter Parker...

...so I’m willing to pretend along with Sony at least until the movies come out and blow that fantasy out of the water. :smallsmile:

In short it could have taken place anytime.

I think at the least it would have to be pre-Snap (too much disruption to day-to-day life otherwise) but that doesn’t narrow things down much.

Psyren
2020-06-26, 08:56 AM
The Ant-man movies are set in San Francisco except for the one sequence at the Avengers compound.

Fair point - though that doesn't create any timeline issues either, Ant-Man's scope was pretty small in terms of impact on the local area.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-06-26, 11:42 AM
Sony fought very hard to keep everything Spidey away from the MCU except Peter himself. Venom is not part of the MCU, however much Sony tries to not-quite-hint otherwise.

Given how Sony's movies do (high costs, not reliably recovered at the box office), I figure they'll be obliged to sell the IP back to Marvel-Disney in a few years.