PDA

View Full Version : How many Disciplines??

DnDuagar
2020-06-25, 09:38 PM
I'm trying to create a Warblade. I look at the "stances" which I think are maneuvers but they work differently and I can't find the part that states how many Disciplines they get to choose and what decides that. Can I get some help??

Evoker
2020-06-25, 09:42 PM
Warblades have access to Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw and White Raven. This can be seen under their "Maneuvers" class feature, page 21 of the Book of Nine Swords. They can pick any Maneuver or Stance from any of these schools, provided they meet any other prerequisites for those maneuvers and stances. They gain Maneuvers and Stances as specified in their Maneuvers Known and Stances Known entry in their table, also on page 21.

el minster
2020-06-26, 12:01 AM
A level one maneuver has no prerequisites but at least some stances do. A stance counts as a maneuver but is active whenever you are conscious and gives a lesser benifit.

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-26, 01:07 AM
A stance counts as a maneuver but is active whenever you are conscious and gives a lesser benifit.

A stance is only considered as maneuver for meeting prerequisites for other maneuvers/stances. Otherwise you could pick stances as maneuvers if they would count fully as maneuver, but that ain't the chase.

el minster
2020-06-26, 10:32 AM
A stance is only considered as maneuver for meeting prerequisites for other maneuvers/stances. Otherwise you could pick stances as maneuvers if they would count fully as maneuver, but that ain't the chase.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying for the OP

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-06-26, 11:29 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but tripped me up when learning Tome of Battle:

The levels of the maneuvers/stances. That's not the class level you can get them; the progression is like spellcasting levels, from 1-9. At 1st level you can grab 1st level maneuvers, at 3rd level 2nd level maneuvers, at 5th level 3rd level maneuvers, etc.. (Side Note: a cool perk of the system is that your other base classes also count 50% towards this progression, but you don't have to care about that if you don't want to. So a Warblade 2/Fighter 2 would still qualify for 2nd level manuevers).

Endarire
2020-06-26, 11:59 PM
Wolf Fang Strike is a level 1 Tiger Claw maneuver with a maneuver prerequisite.

el minster
2020-06-27, 11:25 PM
really, I didn't know that