PDA

View Full Version : Barb 3 / Moon Druid X

furby076
2020-06-25, 10:34 PM
Hey All,

My group is creating some side adventure characters (to use when half the group can't attend). I was thinking of half orc barbarian (totem) and then was wondering if i should do Bugbear instead (group consists of half elf drow, firbolg, triton, genasi - so i won't be odd man here).

So half orc or bugbear

Straight Barb or Barb bear 3 / moon druid x and wild shape a lot.

I guess the goal is to survive a lot (barb) and do some wicked damage. The bugbear can help with it's reach and grapple.

Or should i stick straight barb, great axe

Keravath
2020-06-26, 02:39 PM
The biggest issue is that all the moon druid features scale with moon druid level.
1) CR 2 forms and magical damage is 6th level druid
2) CR 3 forms is level 9
3) Elemental forms is level 10

The barbarian dip adds an alternate formula for AC calculations which helps most beast forms by 0-3 points in AC .. it also adds damage resistance while raging. Three levels of barbarian offers an extra rage/day, reckless attack, and the barbarian totem. However, is that worth the delay in moon druid forms?

Level 5 character will be CR 1 forms (level 8 is still CR1 forms), level 9 will be CR 2, level 12 is CR3, Level 13 is Elemental forms. Three levels of barbarian really slows down the moon druid forms and the druid spell progression and adds resistance to more damage types and 1 rage/day. I'm not sure it is worth more than one level of barbarian to start with and perhaps consider more much later on (maybe after level 11?).

P.S. Some of the most "wicked" damage I have seen is from a GWM barbarian in tier 3 - add PAM for the bonus action extra attack and the opportunity attack when an opponent moves into range. Be sure to take resilient wisdom since that is usually one of the weakest points for most barbarians.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-26, 03:05 PM
Three levels of barbarian really slows down the moon druid forms and the druid spell progression and adds resistance to more damage types and 1 rage/day. I'm not sure it is worth more than one level of barbarian to start with and perhaps consider more much later on (maybe after level 11?).

Small correction, Barbarians start with 2/day.

I do agree with delaying some of the Barbarian levels. You don't need resistance to non-physical damage until you start getting into mid-tier stuff, so there's no point in delaying spellcasting and wildshape forms until it's worth it, and a single level of Barbarian goes a long ways for a Moon Druid.

Keravath
2020-06-26, 04:39 PM
Small correction, Barbarians start with 2/day.

I do agree with delaying some of the Barbarian levels. You don't need resistance to non-physical damage until you start getting into mid-tier stuff, so there's no point in delaying spellcasting and wildshape forms until it's worth it, and a single level of Barbarian goes a long ways for a Moon Druid.

Yep. But three levels of barbarian vs one level only adds one additional rage/day going from 2 to 3. I was trying to look at the incremental benefits of barb 3 vs barb 1 and pointing out that they really aren't worthwhile at lower levels. (at least before 1 barb/6 druid and I'd probably wait until at least 1 barb/10 druid).

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-26, 04:46 PM
Yep. But three levels of barbarian vs one level only adds one additional rage/day going from 2 to 3. I was trying to look at the incremental benefits of barb 3 vs barb 1 and pointing out that they really aren't worthwhile at lower levels. (at least before 1 barb/6 druid and I'd probably wait until at least 1 barb/10 druid).

Ah, my bad, misunderstood.

furby076
2020-07-01, 09:46 PM
Barb 1, moon druid x...half orc. sounds like it can possibly work. the rage DR to weapons will help a lot

BenTheJester
2020-07-01, 10:53 PM
If you are playing to high levels, and especially if you are starting L13+, you might want to consider going Berserker instead of Bear Druid.

Elementals are immuned to Exhaustion, so you can go Berserk and get an extra attack with no downside (except going Barb 3)