PDA

View Full Version : What build would be good for all these requirements?

Rfkannen
2020-06-25, 11:13 PM
I was thinking about what I would want out of my next Adventurer's league character, and I was wondering if yall could help me figure out a character that would fit all of these.

This would probably be for Icewind dale: Rime of the frost maiden. So it would go to level 12.

I was in a descent into avernus game, and I am still kind of bummed that none of the cool magic item's went to my character (a life cleric). I want to play a character who can make good use of most magic weapons. (I was originally going to play a barbarian, but realized a lot of magic weapons cast spells, so that probably wouldn't work.)

During the time of this campaign, I will be playing a crossbow fighter in one campaign, and a necromancer wizard in another (Both campaigns once a month). so I don't want to play a fighter or a wizard in this campaign.

I extremely rarely multiclass, so some multiclassing could be fun!

When I am playing in the frozen north, I feel like playing someone brawny and survivable. So no fully ranged or dex based characters.

I am leaning against playing someone resistant to cold. I think it would be more fun to be in danger of the frozen environment.

My last AL character was a lawful good goody two shoes, so I think it might be fun to join either the lord's alliance or the zhentarum and play an evil character.So probably not a paladin or a cleric.

Any ideas?

gloryblaze
2020-06-25, 11:18 PM
Hexblade warlock can attune items that require "Attunement by a spellcaster" and can make good use of any magic weapon by making it a pact weapon that uses Cha (so you don't have to worry if, say, you built Str and only bows and crossbows drop, or if you build Dex and only mauls and longswords drop). If you want to multiclass, Padlock or Sorlock are both notoriously powerful, but warlock plays well with other classes in general and you only really need 3 levels of it.

Rfkannen
2020-06-25, 11:33 PM
Hexblade warlock can attune items that require "Attunement by a spellcaster" and can make good use of any magic weapon by making it a pact weapon that uses Cha (so you don't have to worry if, say, you built Str and only bows and crossbows drop, or if you build Dex and only mauls and longswords drop). If you want to multiclass, Padlock or Sorlock are both notoriously powerful, but warlock plays well with other classes in general and you only really need 3 levels of it.

I normally don't think about hexblade, it has kind of a reputation around it, but It would fit the ideas perfectly! definitely a good option!

Good chance I will probablh wind up playing that, thank you for the recommendation!

Quietus
2020-06-26, 01:07 AM
Barbarian based grapple mix.

Barbarian/Rogue. Expertise and rage for extreme advantage in a grapple. Dual wield short swords, and when a good grappling situation comes up, go for the grab 'n stab. May want a 1 level dip into Fighter for two weapon fighting style. Alternatively, go variant human, and take Prodigy to get your expertise. Lean into the Barbarian/Fighter side in this case.

Ancestral Guardian Barbarian/Lore bard. You are a skald. You're a fur wearing hulk of a man, fierce in battle, a leader of men and a teller of tales. This one wants 6 Barbarian (4 rage/day, reaction while raging to prevent 2d6 damage to an ally) and the rest into Bard. Bard 3 gets you expertise, Lore bard specifically gets you extra skills and the ability to spend bardic inspiration dice to reduce an opponent's ability check as a reaction; this does compete with ancestral guardian abilities while you're raging, but it also gives you an option for grappling outside of rage. While raging, you have expertise and advantage to Athletics checks, and if your opponent does beat you, you have a pocket 1d6-1d8 you can use to reduce their check. Use Bardic spells known for situational things and rituals. I might even use regular human on this setup, to really push those multiclass hungry stats and keep everything in the positives. You'll have proficiency in 8 skills (2 class, 2 background, 1 multiclassing bard, 3 lore bard) plus an instrument, and half proficiency on everything else.

Eldariel
2020-06-26, 01:48 AM
I know you said "No Dex" but how about Swords Bard/Blade? A natural frontliner with spells, able to use just about anything, overall a very solid chassis with just a lot of stuff going on for it. Plays perfectly into the Skald mythology and just does everything.

Waazraath
2020-06-26, 03:19 AM
So... no clerics, pally's, wizards, fighters, no dex based (so no rogue and monk), brawny and survivable, for a frozen wasteland, and able to use lots of different items... I'd say Str Ranger. Fits most of it, and and use all the shiny magic swords as well as items that have a 'caster' prereq.

If you want to multiclass, I'd say something like Ranger 5 (for extra attack, but maybe a few levels extra - especially the Gloom Stalker has nice bonus spells and proficiency in wis saves at 7, and another ASI at 8 is then nice as well, and just maybe lvl 9 for 3rd level spells). Additional classes: the combo with War Cleric works really nice in my experience (4 attacks with 2 handend str weapon the 1st round), and there should be non-good war clerics, but if that's not an option, a few levels of fighter are nice (battle master 3 for maneuvers and action surge and a fighting style) - oh wait that was on the no-go list as well. Eh, if the no-go list also includes dips... I don't know if multi-classing is really worth it. Maybe druid 2 for the utility of wildshape?

Alucard89
2020-06-26, 06:01 AM
This campaign only goes to level 12 so I would go for 1 Hexblade/11 Paladin, Vengeance, Devotion or Ancients depending if you want to be boss killer/DPS, all-arounder or more of tank-support.

You will get Improved Divine Smite for the End of campaign, you will be SAD CHA, you will have Aura etc.

For 1 Hex/Vengeance I would go Half-Elf, Elven Accuracy +1 CHA at level 5, then go War Caster at level 9.

This way you are not tied to any particular weapons and if you find any magical 1-handed weapons- you can use all of them. You also get Haste here, which combined with VoE and Curse will make you boss melter.

Alternative is 6 Hexblade/6 Paladin (or 3/9) so you can also use two-handed Weapons with CHA too and that way you can utilize any weapon you find, be it two or one-handed. You can devil's sight + darkness combo for advantage on mooks with VoE on backup for bosses, you still get Aura etc.

That's how I plan to roll that campaign anyway.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-26, 08:34 AM
I'll agree with Hexblade/Paladin, but go Tiefling and take Infernal Constitution. Go with either a 1/11 mix or 2/10 for agonizing blast and either repelling blast or grasp of hadar.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-26, 08:34 AM
I'm thinking Oath of Conquest Dragonborn.

You can use pretty much any magical item well.
You are easily evil, or at the very least "morally ambiguous".
You are Strength-based.
Dragonborn can get a bunch of fear-based effects as racial feats, great synergy with Conquest Paladin.
Conquest Paladin multiclasses well with any Charisma-based caster, as all you'd need to justify it is more Fear or defense oriented casting.

Another option that seemed good for what you're describing is the War Cleric, maybe one who serves a god that seeks unnecessary violence. Or a classic Moon Druid/Barbarian build.