PDA

View Full Version : Tauric on two legs and lycanthropy

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 08:42 AM
Simple request, looking for a way to pick up the tauric template and then make the resulting creature stand on two legs without losing the benefits of tauric.

liquidformat
2020-06-26, 09:17 AM
Simple request, looking for a way to pick up the tauric template and then make the resulting creature stand on two legs without losing the benefits of tauric.

how about you make the base a dire ape it technically meets the prerequisites as it often does walk on four legs. You would be something like a Girallon except your second set of arms is coming out of your hips...

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 09:53 AM
how about you make the base a dire ape it technically meets the prerequisites as it often does walk on four legs. You would be something like a Girallon except your second set of arms is coming out of your hips...

While technically effective, I was hoping for something not dependent on the creature type

liquidformat
2020-06-26, 10:35 AM
While technically effective, I was hoping for something not dependent on the creature type

why do you need to be standing on 2 legs?

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 11:23 AM
Purely for aesthetic reasons? Tauric is necessary to the build, but I dont want to have the lower body of a tiger for it.

Ruethgar
2020-06-26, 11:32 AM
Well, you could try to get d20 mutations allowed? I think there was one for losing a leg? It’s been a while but that was my go to for easy limb manipulation.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-26, 11:35 AM
The body needs to have 2 legs used for locomotion, so ostrich? Raptor? Monkey? Kangaroo?

liquidformat
2020-06-26, 11:52 AM
The body needs to have 2 legs used for locomotion, so ostrich? Raptor? Monkey? Kangaroo?

Tauric specifically requires the base creature to have four or more legs so none of these work.

Purely for aesthetic reasons? Tauric is necessary to the build, but I dont want to have the lower body of a tiger for it.

If the aesthetics is offensive enough for you to be hopping around looking for a loophole maybe you should go with a different build... I think doing something like ape or dire ape is probably your best bet...

Thurbane
2020-06-26, 06:34 PM
Is amputation an option? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?570555-3-5-Losing-a-Limb)

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 09:05 PM
If the aesthetics is offensive enough for you to be hopping around looking for a loophole maybe you should go with a different build... I think doing something like ape or dire ape is probably your best bet...

Unfortunately, lycanthropy sucks, and tauric was how I was getting full BAB.

The blood ape idea might be worth it for a different character though

ShurikVch
2020-06-27, 11:06 AM
Despoiler of Flesh - major artifact from the Book of Vile Darkness:

The artifact allows the wielder to reshape the flesh of any creature, as with a polymorph other spell except that any shape that the wielder can imagine can be bestowed, whether a creature actually exists in that form or not. If a form is bestowed that is unwieldy or untenable, or that was created without careful forethought, the creature simply dies. For example, the wielder could change the form of a wolf into that of a human known to him. He could then (using the Despoiler of Flesh again) give that human purplish black skin and tentacles for arms. If he attempted to also give the victim six spider legs and batlike wings large enough to carry him aloft, the form would simply collapse under its own weight into a pile of fleshy goo.

Also: what's the Tauric Creature you're trying to make? (If it's not a secret)

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 11:23 AM
Despoiler of Flesh - major artifact from the Book of Vile Darkness:

Also: what's the Tauric Creature you're trying to make? (If it's not a secret)

To make a long convoluted build simple, I was going to use a Low HD lower half to gain full BAB and get around the medium BAB from lycanthrope.

I have this concept for a character I want to convert from another game for a 3.5 campaign, but the mechanics are just not quite lining up.

Current stub is something like tauric-phynxkin-human, weretiger 8/maho-bujin 1, dervish 10.

Which SORT of comes close. But is missing a lot of the more fun things about the character. And ends up aesthetically, or mechanically improper

ShurikVch
2020-06-27, 12:04 PM
To make a long convoluted build simple, I was going to use a Low HD lower half to gain full BAB and get around the medium BAB from lycanthrope.

I have this concept for a character I want to convert from another game for a 3.5 campaign, but the mechanics are just not quite lining up.

Current stub is something like tauric-phynxkin-human, weretiger 8/maho-bujin 1, dervish 10.

Which SORT of comes close. But is missing a lot of the more fun things about the character. And ends up aesthetically, or mechanically improper
Question: wouldn't you be better with just Anthropomorphic Tiger (Savage Species)?
I mean - you will get Pounce, Improved Grab, Rake, +4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Wis
And all this for just 2 racial HD (which are Monstrous Humanoid HD - thus, full BAB) and +1 LA

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 12:23 PM
Yes. It would in theory be better to go anthro. But the character is specifically a WERE-tiger.

ShurikVch
2020-06-27, 12:51 PM
What, exactly, you're trying to get from those templates (both mechanical- and flavor- wise)?

Because I seen two big problems from the very start:

1. Lycanthropic shapeshifting happens via the Alternate Form (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)
And there we have a problem:

A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template.
In such situation, DM may rule you're unable to use your Alternate Form at all...
(Let alone the fact Tauric Creatures are Monstrous Humanoids - thus, illegal for Lycanthropy in the first place)

2. Effective Character Level (ECL) = racial HD + class levels + level adjustment (LA)
1 (Humanoid) + 1 (Phynxkin) + 3 (Tauric Creature's LA) + 6 (Tiger) + 2 (Afflicted Lycanthropy's LA; for Natural Lycanthropy it would be +3) = 13
You would take your first class level when party's mages would already throw around 7th-level spells...