PDA

View Full Version : Lost and Overgrown Path - Game Thread

Tibbius
2020-06-26, 08:45 AM
This thread is a duet among roryb and tibbius, open to others joining if requested by PM. Rules and an Oracle are used to keep us guessing what comes next.

The duet is set in Middle Earth, after the death of Smaug but before the birth of Frodo Baggins. It is a bit different than the canon of LotR. Gandalf is a mortal man, a wizard like plenty of others, who knows the right words of power. Bilbo's ring is just a magic ring that makes him invisible, not a Dread Instrument of World Domination. There are others like it, and with other purposes. The elves are clever and songful and mischievous, but not weighed down by the burdens of an Eternal Fight Against Darkness.

Really OOC stuff will be italicized and right justified, like this paragraph. Broad narration and scene setting will be quote-blocked, like the preceding paragraph. Character text and dialogue, die rolls, will be left justified plain text, like the following paragraph. Anything that doesn't fit in those categories will be spoilered.

Tarabim, the King's bard, stretched his legs and wiggled a bit in his chair. "So," he said to Orin, the dwarven tinkerer lately of the Lonely Mountain, "I thank you for your offer to guide me north. The rumors say that what I seek lies there. But please tell me, how did you come here?"

King's Bard of Gondor
Rhyming = singing, story-telling
Riddling = outwitting people
Toughness 5, Fate 5

Ray Otus' There and Back Again (https://rayotus.itch.io/taba).

You are an adventurer in the world of The Hobbit. Specifically the world as it appeared in the 1937 edition of that book. Anyone can be a wizard with the right knowledge, trolls turn to stone in the sunlight, animals or magical objects can speak, elves aren't always nice, and the wild is full of terrible creatures like goblins, giant spiders, and even dragons!

Spending Fate.
Fate can be spent to add dice after the results of a roll are known.
Success Counting.
Blunder (no, and...)
0 Successes (no...)
1 Success (yes... or yes, but... in exchange for 1 Fate)
2+ Successes (yes, and...)
Magic (incoming hostile).Test the Magic trait, or the relevant magic skill if you have it. Failure means you suffer the effects of the magic; Blunder means you also suffer one wound. The effect of hostile damaging magic generally is limited to one wound, but magic can also do many things other than directly injure you.
Minions.Sometimes you will have assistance in combat from minions. This could be tricky to represent using TABA's single roll mechanic. The solution is that you gain an advantage to your combat roll if you and your minions outnumber the opponents, or a disadvantage if your side is outnumbered. Remember advantages or disadvantages do not stack beyond 3d6 or 1d6, and any number of advantages will cancel any number of disadvantages. On your single roll, success means that you and your minions inflict on the opponents a total number of wounds equal to the smaller number of combatants; failure means that the opponents inflict on you and your minions a total number of wounds equal to the smaller number of combatants (so if you're outnumbered, you and each minion could suffer one wound); a Blunder means that you and your minions suffer a total number of wounds equal to the larger number of combatants; a critical success means that you inflict a number of wounds equal to the larger number of combatants (so if you're outnumbered, each of the opponents could suffer one wound). You decide where the wounds are allocated ("meat shields" is an appropriate phrase).
Missiles (incoming).In a turn that you are subject to incoming missiles, test hiding or Sneaking to avoid the danger. On a failure you lose one Toughness, on a Blunder you lose Toughness equal to the number of shooters.

And the "Mad" variant of the Recluse oracle (https://gravenutterance.com/2019/03/24/recluse-solo-engine/)
You can produce a Mad Recluse oracle with the following modification to Recluse: when you get doubles on a equal-weight roll, a random event occurs. Let's try doubles on any roll for now to keep things popping?

doubles: random event
1: new NPC
2: environmental change
3: discovery
4: loss
5: rumor or memory
6: old NPC

Then ask the oracle whether the event is beneficial or baneful.

roryb
2020-06-26, 12:38 PM
Orin stroked his rounded chin curtain as he eyed another oat cake. It would be his third. He snatched it and began speaking with his mouth full.

“It is my great pleasure, my good lord,” he said. The southern kingdom’s customs were still new to him. “Although I have taken great delight in lending what craft I have to your wonderful builders and smiths, my true love is of toys.”

Orin was never far from a worn roughspun sack. He reached within and began to produce one after another. Soldier figurines soon lined the board bearing likenesses of ugly goblins, unapproachable elves, stout men, and of course glorious dwarves. When he ordered them to march by reciting the word in their respective tongues, the figures moved to his demands. Orin beamed immensely with pride.

He explained that the Lonely Mountain sought trade in more lands, and none had yet ventured so far to the southern kingdoms. The leagues between were vast and wild. So it seemed unlikely that a lone dwarf would have made the journey unharried or unscathed. Orin elaborated little upon these suspicions, as he nervously sought a fourth cake.

“And, begging your forgiveness, my lord,” Orin asked, “what is it you seek to the north if you don’t mind my question?”

Leaving some of that open because I don't yet know what happened to him...and it might be fun to let some of it out as events unfold, perhaps to interpret future complications.

Orin, Tinkerer from the Lonely Mountain
enterprising dwarf toymaker
Toughness 4
Fate 7
Crafting: building, appraising
Carousing: haggling

Tibbius
2020-06-26, 04:36 PM
Tarabim lifted his eyes away from the crumb-bearded dwarf (are all that people so gluttonous? wondered the bard) and studied the richly embroidered scenes of ancient battles on the ornate tapestries that hung about the high-ceilinged, marble-walled room where they sat. The room was not large by the standards of the royal palace, only about twenty feet on a side, and the slightly domed marble ceiling two thirds as high.

"Your toys are impressive, master craft," he allowed as he returned his gaze to the figures stomping around the table. "I am impressed that you brought them, and I wonder whether you've had any success in vending them here? It seems they would be loved by all the children of nobility, and perhaps some of the nobility themselves. Of course I include also those of great wealth, even if not noble-born."

He left aside entirely the question of what he sought.

"What road do you propose to follow back to Erebor?" he asked instead. "I think we might do well to bring a doughty comrade. Surely there are dangers that our wits alone cannot efface."

roryb
2020-06-27, 01:30 AM
“These are just a sample,” said Orin, who then replaced the toys into his bag. “I am confident that I’ll be invited by the King to return with an even greater number!” he added enthusiastically.

“A capable man at arms is not a bad idea,” he agreed. “As for the route, north runs the mighty Anduin. She shall be our guide for the first leg. It is a difficult way, with both marshland and difficult hills to greet us. Following the Anduin north toward its source, the valley is flanked to the east by the great Mirkwood. It was held by the Beornings but grows wild once again with goblins beginning to emerge from their mountain fastness, and there is no telling that the elf road through the wood is open — such is the capriciousness of elves!”

The dwarf perspired in his excitement.

“Therefore we shall leave the river before it climbs into the valley to put the Mirkwood rather to our west. True! The land there is wild and unknown, but a lost and overgrown path lays there awaiting those who know its hidden markers. We shall fare better and safer this way despite its uncertain reputation.”

By the time Orin finished, so too had the cakes. “The journey is long! We will need a good store of supplies, and perhaps a mule!”

Just a little intrigue...Tarabim would probably know through his lore and contacts that these days, the Anduin vale and forest road would be the safer known way in light of the events and alliances after TBoFA. Orin is seeing first to self-interests hoping to blaze a new passage for the sake of future trade. It also gives us the benefit that we can have new lands and populate with brand new perils. The areas east of Mirkwood and south of Esgaroth look empty on the map, but only, I think because they weren’t featured in any writings. I’m sure it’s quite featured despite its seemingly bleak topography. We certainly don’t have to go that way if you prefer to revisit more familiar lands.

Tibbius
2020-06-27, 11:52 AM
"As yet, we know little of the Northern lands," responded Tarabim. "I will trust your guidance going toward the mountain whence you hail. As far as a mule, I believe it will be easy to acquire one with king's writ. A man at arms, or even a ranger, perhaps no harder.

"However, you still have not spoken of the road that brought you here. As King's Bard, I always am eager to hear new tales, however tall or short! I beg of you, enlighten me as to the days and nights you journeyed. Your story will be famous according to its merit."

[roll0]; [roll1] [roll2]

It seems some complication arises in the effort to get a mule: Tarabim discovers something. Would you mind rolling to find out whether that's beneficial (I'd say yyn 3d6?) and then figuring out what he discovers? This may not immediately arise as we're still in the midst of dialogue, I was doing this more as a test run of the Oracle (Let's try doubles on any roll for now to keep things popping?).

roryb
2020-06-28, 12:35 AM
I’ll post tomorrow. I’m a little stymied by what to say...partially because I want to be surprised myself about what they’ll encounter along the way. So far I’m thinking Orin will have come originally via the safer known route and (1) will either invent what he knows about the other way, coming up with a fanciful fairy tale of easy going to convince his traveling partner to agree to take that way, or (2) will admit the route he came from but give another lie to reinforce why they should take the eastern route to bypass the wood. Leaning toward #1. More tomorrow...

roryb
2020-06-28, 04:23 PM
“The pleasant breeze, and wide rolling plains!” Orin began. “Only herds rule this wide land east of the wood where once folk dwelt. Few markers remain of those that once peopled this wide grassy steppe. But opportunity there is for a great expansion and good earth for tilling!”

Orin went on at some length enumerating the unusual birds and flora of empty Rhovanion, a place of unsung vastness. Some of these were far different than Tarabim had ever heard or imagined. Giant black ravens and ponderous horned giants that flattened the earth with their insatiable appetites for vegetation.

Here goes! I’m using Orokos:
Random event (d6); YYN — beneficial? (https://orokos.com/roll/819631): 1d6 1 3#1d6 4 5 6
A new NPC, and it’s not good!
YYN — A nefarious caretaker insists on tagging along? (https://orokos.com/roll/819632): 3#1d6 6 1 1
Yes, and some other random. Maybe doubles comes up too often when rolling more than 2? Perhaps the doubles are only involved if it matches the actual result die?

Tibbius
2020-06-28, 07:37 PM
Maybe doubles comes up too often when rolling more than 2? Perhaps the doubles are only involved if it matches the actual result die?

I think you're right. Random only if the highest two dice are doubles.

Tarabim, laughed, clapped his hands, shook his head in wonder, a broad grin breaking the golden curls of his beard. "It sounds splendid!" he exclaimed. "So many things to write songs about. How tall are those horned beasts and are they anything like the southern Oliphants? Have you heard of those? There's a song about them that I heard from a Harad trader ... I would have to find my notes."

He sprang to his feet. "Come," he said, "I promised to introduce you to the King. He'll be glad to see your work and hear your tales, and even gladder when I tell him that you've agreed to guide me northward. You seem clever, I'm sure you'll impress him. He may be busy with something now, but he's always glad to see me. And being the Bard, you see, gives me certain privileges."

Tarabim led Orin through a narrow double door of pale white wood at the back of the sitting room, carefully closing the door behind them, and led onward along a dim and narrow corridor with dark-tiled flooring and pastel yellow plaster walls. The corridor turned twice to the left as if it went around the outside of a large room - possibly the great Hall beside which the sitting room was disposed. It ended at another door in the left wall. Tarabim opened this, revealing dimness and the loose threads at the backside of a mighty tapestry that dangled to the floor from well above their heads, stretching many yards to either side.

"The great Hall of Kings," Tarabim whispered to Orin, "living kings that is. The others are up the hill. Now follow behind the curtain, we'll come round to the back of the dais and come up to the king without going through the line." Word to deed, they went along around the hall behind the tapestry until they reached an opening where the bright lanterns shone from the ceiling onto the wall directly behind the throne. Here they stepped out and Tarabim walked swiftly to the side of the throne, outpacing Orin.

"My liege!" exclaimed the Bard. "I beg your pardon. I bring entertaining news, and other news, for your ears and pleasure." Glancing at the quarrelsome noble supplicants whose land dispute he had disturbed, he added, "I will await your interest, master. Surely these men need your attention."

King Lomilorn turned in his seat to confront his Bard. Catching sight of the dwarven tinkerer who followed up, he cracked a smile. "A dwarf with a sack," he chuckled, "I hope not come to bring away our naughtiest children? Tarabim, bide a moment only." Turning back to the supplicants, the king said sternly "He has a certified map from the royal records. There is no question that he owns from the bend of the river to the oak tree on the hill, everything west. Cease your quarreling or I'll take a bordering easement from your lands so that there's no more fence to dispute."

"But my liege!" exclaimed the aggrieved landowner. "The river's changed its course at least five times in the past two decades, and someone chopped the oak tree six years past."

"The stump's still there," insisted the other landowner, "and my father placed a stone pillar at the river bend before it shifted course. Stop trying to encroach."

"I've said my word," the king replied sternly. "From the stump to the pillar, then. No more dispute. You, sir dwarf - I merely joked about the children. What is in your sack?"

roryb
2020-06-29, 01:05 PM
Orin bowed low to the ground, brushing his whiskers against the floor. “A great honor to meet Your Majesty!” he said enthusiastically.

Orin held up his sack. “Before I get to my crafts, my lord, allow me to offer you something by way of solution to such problems as the two landowners have. A mighty kingdom such as this would benefit from works of enduring stone! Allow me to explain…

“Rivers change courses if allowed to bend what way they will. But a mighty channel bends only to your desires! Such construction not only lends permanence to your water courses, but grants both protection and beauty. My kin are masters of such a trade and can volunteer their ingenuity and skill to your pleasure. Once a strong new road leads between our kingdoms, I see the promise of great trade!”

Orin then showed his designs as he had shown Tarabim. However, he left the greatest for the last — a toy the bard had not yet seen. It was a replica of Smaug himself. A snaking dragon that puffed smoke from his nostrils. By this time, a great number from the court had gathered more closely to marvel at the dwarf’s figures.

I know we’re not in any sort of tricky situation, but I have the urge to roll some skill rolls to see if the King is impressed enough to lend some future aid and agree to provisioning them. Rolling with advantage: roll with advantage (https://orokos.com/roll/819823): 3#1d6 2 1 4. No! Have to run here, otherwise I’d follow up with what this means.

Tibbius
2020-06-30, 06:39 PM
"I'll give you dozens of golden coins for that dwarven miner with the swinging pick!" exclaimed one of the court.

"A gem - no, gems, for the Dragon," said another confidently.

The hubbub rose around them and the King frowned wearily. It was not the first time he had seen his courtiers in a tizzy.

"What about this, my liege?" asked Tarabim quietly, near his majesty's ear. "A contest with the winners each getting one of the toys for their children or grandkids. Of course your majesty first would need to purchase the goods, but I think the good crafter would part with them for his choice of equippage and provisions as he returns to his workshop." He sucked a quick breath as he drew back; the King's patience sometimes wore thin, even with his favorite performer.

Chance smiled on Tarabim's effort.trying to outwit the king / courtiers, 3d6t5: 3 [3d6t5=6, 6, 6] (https://orokos.com/roll/820188#) "Ah," said the King with a broad smile, "what a clever idea! Gentlemen, ladies, quiet! List to what my Bard proposes."

Tarabim now had to think quickly, it had to be a contest that he would not have to judge, the King wanted him out on the trail soonest. So ... not a matter of wits ... not singing or rhyming or stories ... ah! Swords? No - that would leave the ladies cold. Most of them. Unless they could choose champions? So many men at arms could use the work. Yes! "A combat of champions!" he exclaimed. The effect still would be that the richest won the toys, for the most part, but this way the advantages were removed a layer. "To be held one week from tonight, by lantern light in the outer bailey. Your majesty - would you condescend to judge?"

The King shook his head. "No," he answered, "that is a job best done by the Master of Arms and two others whom he shall select. No judge may be a champion!" added his majesty. Turning to Tarabim, he added, "Well done. By my word, take what you need for your journey, and a small prize for yourself and another for the dwarf."

"My liege," said Tarabim, and bowed and kissed his master's wrinkled hand. Then gesturing to Orin, he led out of the hall by the front way.

"Orin: we have the royal command to equip ourselves - and to take 'small' prizes for our effort. Let's not be greedy, but no harm in sprinkling ourselves with negotiables."

roryb
2020-07-02, 12:54 AM
Flurry of activity these days. If I can't get to it tonight, I'll get a post in tomorrow. I'll be focusing on that mule owner and what is going on there. :smalleek:

Tibbius
2020-07-02, 09:44 AM
Ok, take your time. Given our history this isn't a game I will drop based on post rate, even if posting gets slow for a while we can always come back to it.

roryb
2020-07-03, 02:55 AM
Thanks! I’ll get to it one of these times. This is temporary craziness. Should level off after tomorrow.

roryb
2020-07-07, 02:01 AM
The day was gray and forlorn, and an adventure to a far away strange land that was certain to be uncomfortable seemed unwelcome. The offerings and pleasures of the court were by far more comfortable and welcome, but the time to head off north had come. Indeed, it had come and days began to fade with the promise of the approaching fall, and the King had other pressing matters that demanded his ear and wisdom, not the least withstanding was a delegation of very outlandish and fierce men from lands even further south.

The two companions had agreed to meet just beyond the walls of the great city of Gondor. The tight areas between the ramparts and tiered gates were filled with unceasing bustle and noise. Where the road led from the mighty eastward gate and wound through the downs to the river, a lone grassy mount was surmounted by a single oak of impressive age seemingly left alone to wrinkle its thick bark and grow gnarled.

For his part, Orin had concluded his business quickly. He had few wants other than a new cloak against the wind, and the sundry supplies needed for their mundane needs and equipage. He had put it upon himself to hire a mule or two to bear their burdens with the writ the king had so generously bestowed upon him. However, he hadn’t expected that the mule’s caretaker — a very unpleasant curmudgeon of a man named Arabor (more commonly known as Erk) — demanded to join their expedition.

“No one handles Eleanor but me!” he had said.

Orin only smiled and agreed. Apparently no other beast handlers had animals suitable for such a lengthy journey except old Erk. Orin wasn’t sure the old man was up to the task even if his mule was. The dwarf surmised that the old man had recently been widowed and had not the heart to deprive him of his fee nor part him from the only remaining object of his affection. The nagging voice of his uncle twice removed, Thorin (may he rest under the mountain until the end of the world) telling him little good would come of the arrangement. Orin realized the man was not really a constant complainer. Rather that was his particularly grating tone, though there was no bottom to the negative reflections and remorse with which he held all things in regard.

Orin remembered with some bitterness himself, as Erk continued his river of brackishness, how he had handled the meeting with the King so poorly. He had still managed a handsome contract that promised greater dividends upon his next return. However, the encounter with this king among men had not gone as well as he had hoped. There was much to learn.

“I see,” Orin chimed in when there was a lull in Erk’s gravelly recitation. He nodded, hoping that Tarabim would not long delay his appearance. Suddenly the many leagues seemed all that much more daunting.

We have our first NPC! Thrilling, isn’t he? I didn’t pick skills for him because I don’t have the rules right with me, but animal husbandry should be among them. Is that a Craft?

Tibbius
2020-07-07, 07:17 AM
Intriguingly, "animal kinship" is a Magic.

I'll post i/c after taking some time for thought. You've advanced the narrative nicely.

Tibbius
2020-07-15, 10:50 AM
After an undue amount of waiting, Tarabim ascended the hill toward Orin. He wore freshly-tailored traveling garments and a long-bladed sword with pearls set in its silver pommel. His beard was freshly trimmed and oiled and a small shield thumped lightly on his back as he strode firmly up the slope.

"Well, masters," he said to the dwarven craftsman and the muleteer, "it is time to go. Let's put our best feet forward. I'm glad to see you have our packs well loaded, Arabor."

The sun already showed as a brighter grey patch halfway up the overcast sky, and though it cast no shadows it gave some welcome warmth. They set out northward along the provincial road, which roughly paralleled the river where Osgiliath sprawled like a shining gem.

Just for the heck of it, no invasion and pillaging of Osgiliath. Surprisingly, and not like I had thought, "Gondor" is a kingdom but not a city.

do they meet anyone? (Mad Recluse - likely: yyn) (https://orokos.com/roll/826286): 3d6 8 [3d6=2, 4, 2]
do they meet a traveller from the North? (Mad Recluse - unlikely: ynn) (https://orokos.com/roll/826287): 3d6 11 [3d6=5, 4, 2]
Now I'm a bit twisted up for who they might meet ...
1 dwarf 2-3 elf 3-6 human (https://orokos.com/roll/826288): 1d6 5
1-5 civilian 6 adventurer (https://orokos.com/roll/826290): 1d6 4

After a few hours it was time for lunch. Coming along the road, they saw a small two-legged figure walking between two larger four-legged creatures. Minutes passed as they narrowed the distance toward a comfortable-looking spot overlooking the River Anduin. The two groups reached the picnic spot at about the same time.

"Well met!" said the southbound muleteer cheerfully. He had a face much-marked by smiles and laughter and a nose that suggested many convivial cups. Swiftly he set about stripping packs and harness from his two pack animals, loosing them to graze.

roryb
2020-07-23, 12:23 AM
Sorry for the delay! Will get to it. Tomorrow if not sooner.

Tibbius
2020-08-04, 09:38 AM
Are we still going with this?

roryb
2020-08-04, 01:55 PM
Gah! I'm sorry! I had some time off and the wife and I got away for little trips. I lost track of this one. Let me try to crank out a post soon...

roryb
2020-08-04, 02:35 PM
“Indeed!” responded Orin with a broad grin. “The day is turning out better than first it seemed. What brings you this way, and from where did you come?”

Does he willingly answer? (Recluse - even: yn) (https://orokos.com/roll/833592): 2#1d6 6 6
Interesting! Sounds like they’re interrupted.
Is the "muleteer" being chased for stealing them? (Recluse - even: yn) (https://orokos.com/roll/833596): 2#1d6 2 2
Gah! Another double. Going to re-roll to get a definitive answer…
Is the "muleteer" being chased for stealing them? (Recluse - even: yn) (https://orokos.com/roll/833597): 2#1d6 2 4 No
Does something scare off the mules? (Recluse - even: yn) (https://orokos.com/roll/833598): 2#1d6 5 3

Before the man could answer, there was a flurry of movement somewhere in the brush near the river. His mules as well as those of Erk’s brayed and kicked and tore off at astonishing speed and precipitousness. The newcomer in his current state had his hand caught in the reins and was dragged beyond.

The nearby brush continued to move from something large within.

There’s a start! Sorry again for the long absence.

Tibbius
2020-08-08, 03:25 PM
Tarabim startled, gripping the hilt of his jewel-pommeled rapier and sliding it forth from its ornately paisley lacquered scabbard.

"Who's there?!" he exclaimed.

is it a bear? (Recluse - even: yn) (https://orokos.com/roll/835897): 2#1d6 4 2 - yes.

A rumbling growl uttered forth from the bush and an ursine head emerged between two swaying branches. The great bear bared its teeth in a yawping growl, throwing its head upward.

roryb
2020-08-08, 04:02 PM
This was my thought too! :D

roryb
2020-08-12, 01:16 AM
So, I was going to have Orin use Haggling while offering some food to the bear. Is that a stretch for you?

Tibbius
2020-08-12, 06:37 AM
I think it fits the 1937 Hobbit setting pretty well. Who's to say the bear's not a Boerning?

roryb
2020-08-12, 04:03 PM
Let’s see about our mules
Controlling mules (https://orokos.com/roll/837326): 1d6 3
That’s a no...

The mules began rearing up and braying. “Here now!” cried Erk. “What’s got into you?!” When the brown brute emerged, the muleteer cried out and released his hold on the mules. Sacks and supplies tumbled, spilling their contents everywhere.

Orin stood forward. He had a half-eaten cut of cheese and cured meat that was sandwiched between two buttered halves of one of the kingdom’s delicious loaves of bread, for which they were famed. At the rate which Orin fed himself, the bard wasn’t sure they’d have enough supplies to hold out, even less when sharing their meals with the locals.

“How about helping yourself to my lunch?” he said in a timid voice. He threw out the loaf and cautiously stepped back.

Haggling with a bear (advantage) (https://orokos.com/roll/837332): 2#1d6 1 2
Nope
I’ll have him take damage.

The bear charged, nearly trampling the dwarf.

Tibbius
2020-08-13, 08:05 AM
"Avast!" cried the bard, leaping forward and thrusting with his rapier at the bear's head. The sharp tip of the blade scraped a thin bloody furrow across the beast's thick scalp, but did no significant harm. With a grunt, the bear turned on Tarabim, and swiped a massive paw across his chest. The bard stumbled back, gasping, garments torn.

attacking the bear with the rapier (https://orokos.com/roll/837510): 1d6 2
That's -1 Toughness for Tarabim, so down to 4, and I think Orin's at 3 ?

roryb
2020-08-14, 02:27 AM
I’ll post my stats in a spoiler from now on. Yep, down to 3. Intentionally, Orin is not made for toe to toe bear brawling. Run away! Run away! Well...maybe not just yet.

Orin was strong and quick-fingered when it came to his crafts in miniature form, but being bowled over by a massive deranged tower of fur and gristle had knocked the wind from the dwarf.

Somehow, he got upright and found himself standing behind the ill-tempered brute. His traveling companion was in a tough spot.

“Hey, baggy pants!” Orin heard himself saying. Somehow, a stone found its way into his hand. The projectile catapulted against the furry backside, bouncing off.

yyn Does the bear turn on Orin? (https://orokos.com/roll/838004): 3#1d6 1 3 6
Hmm, interesting.

Orin cowered, putting his hands over his head. To his amazement, he was still alive. However, his pour companion who relied on his expertise through this long tour that was bound to be spoiled before it even began, was in dire straights. And it would forever weigh on his heart if he did nothing.

One more crazy trick. Orin will try to ride the bear! Spending a Fate Point to roll two dice.
Ride the bear! (https://orokos.com/roll/838005): 2#1d6 5 2
I’ll take that as a “yes, but” to regain my Fate

Orin screwed up his courage and took a flying leap onto the bear’s back. His landing was good. “Haha!” He took two fistfuls of course fur and rode the bear like a stallion. The bear reared up and bolted. Mules scattered and the beast bolted through their fallen supplies, scattering and smashing them. As the bear stampeded away, Orin was tossed unceremoniously into the river.

Dwarfs, as a general rule, tended not to float and were rarely skilled swimmers. The bear was gone for the time being, but Orin dipped under the surface, overwhelmed by the lazy current of the Anduin.

Help!

Toughness 4 (3)
Fate 7

Tibbius
2020-08-14, 06:25 AM
Tarabim dives into the river spending two Fate points to rescue Orin (https://orokos.com/roll/838019): 3#1d6 1 3 2

With a yelp of alarm for his traveling companion, Tarabim flung aside his blade and plunged headlong into the Great River, arms and legs flailing, fine tattered clothing and boots dragging him back and down as he desperately sought the submerged dwarf ...

Alas,

I notice that the rules state clearly: "Before rolling ... Spend Fate to add 1 extra die per 1 point spent." So, contrary to what we had house ruled over on US.us, there's no "do-over."

This is v. unfortunate.

Are Tarabim and Orin rescued (Recluse - unlikely ynn) (https://orokos.com/roll/838020): 3#1d6 1 1 1 - wrong question?

both men succumbed to the currents and were borne an unknown distance til the water washed them up against driftwood on a sandy beach where the river gently curved aside.

They lay as drying fish for a while, as the sun rose and started to fall again. Then Tarabim sputtered and coughed in a racking paroxysm that ejected a spray of water from his lungs and mouth. Rolling over, he pressed himself up on his elbows and stared anxiously at Orin. Then he scrambled over and shook the dwarf roughly, shouting, "Orin! Wake up, man!"

Over to you!
* Tarabim T 4, F 3

... I realize the Oracle calls for a new NPC, I just am drawing a blank right now.

roryb
2020-08-15, 01:27 AM
Hey, just a quick breather. I do find in my solo sessions that generating impetus only from yes/no questions can be taxing on the creativity. When those prompts come up like “introduce an NPC”, what do you think of broader oracles, like Story Cubes? They’re quicker and can get us to the crux with fewer Q’s. When I use things like Mythic, I’m often asking complex questions as much sometimes as binary Q’s.

Tibbius
2020-08-15, 08:44 AM
Hey, just a quick breather. I do find in my solo sessions that generating impetus only from yes/no questions can be taxing on the creativity. When those prompts come up like “introduce an NPC”, what do you think of broader oracles, like Story Cubes? They’re quicker and can get us to the crux with fewer Q’s. When I use things like Mythic, I’m often asking complex questions as much sometimes as binary Q’s.

I don't have story cubes ... but I do have the Maze Rats rules with their myriad of NPC tables. Let me roll a little:
NPC wilderness profession, name, assets, appearance, clothing (https://orokos.com/roll/838251): 10#1d6 6 4 3 3 2 5 6 1 6 4
NPC personality and mannerisms (https://orokos.com/roll/838252): 4#1d6 3 6 1 4
A trapper ... named Damaris ... feared by ? ... towering and dressed in undersized clothing ... a know-it-all who speaks in clipped tones.

We'll assume she's helpful.

roryb
2020-08-17, 12:01 PM
Maze Rats charts will do in a pinch! I haven’t looked at those rules for quite a while, but I loved the 6x6 inspiration charts.

Orin sputtered, popping his eyes open with a start. Sodden and perched upon the flotsam as he was like a river otter, he spat out a mouthful of water.

“Who? What? Where?” Where along the river they were was not immediately clear. Had they washed back to where they started, or even further? Reduced their gains for certain, they had lost their supplies as well as Erk and the mules! When it all came back to him, he covered his head in despair.

“What will we do?! Tarabim, friend, are you okay?!”

Before the court bard could answer, a towering figure appeared, silhouetted against the dark trees beyond the riverbank. Out stepped an impressive woman dressed in scant homespun fabrics and skins. A long knife and quiver was belted at her hip and she carried a long bow. She was bronzed about her shoulders and dark-eyed and dark maned. A wildness was apparent in her movements.

“What tale have we?” she asked to no one in particular when she loomed over them.

“Oh, stones!” Orin said, staring upward from his prostrate position. She offered a hand to both, one at a time, hauling them out of the river edge.

“I’m called Damaris,” she spoke curtly. “You’re scaring the deer. You’ll likely scare away all the animals of the river after you catch cold. Come! You need a warm fire, hot drink, and dry clothes. Follow me…”

She tramped back to the trees with a long gait. Orin looked at Tarabrim questioningly, and scrambled after the woman.

Toughness 4 (3)
Fate 7

Tibbius
2020-08-17, 02:08 PM
Shrugging, Tarabim followed the wildwoman's rolling hips with a faint smile on his lips.

"This is not bad luck," he said calmly to Orin, "but rather a chance to make a new friend. I admit it would be nice to have my pretty sword, but I still have this little dagger ..." he patted his hip and rested his hand on an empty sheath "... or not! I wonder what shall we do for weaponry now. Perhaps a stout tree branch.

"Any hap, dear lady Damaris," he called ahead, "thank you so much for finding us and bringing us somewhere safe. I am Tarabim, the king's own bard, and if ever you come to court with me I'll find you an array of lovely fabrics and a cloud of sweet perfumes to suit the place. Here it seems you are well-dressed, and myself an oddity in all my fancy river-soaked garb. I would love to sing you a song to thank you for your aid, would that be any imposition on your ears?"

Not sure whether any roll would be appropriate here, maybe try "charming" for which he gets ... 1d6 ... maybe spend Fate (1 point). Tarabim tries to charm Damaris (spending 1 Fate) (https://orokos.com/roll/838936): 2#1d6 5 2 That was well worth the point of Fate, esp. bc he has a good shot to regain it by singing for her.

Tarabim T 5 F 2

roryb
2020-08-18, 03:02 PM
So, that's a success! I feel like I shouldn't interfere in the glory of your song and its effect.

Tibbius
2020-08-18, 05:32 PM
Damaris led the two companions by devious paths to a small stone cottage with a roof of tight-packed pine boughs. The windows were shuttered and the door was shut. She opened it with a graceful heave and womanly grunt, and led them in to a comfortable single room with a cold hearth, a table, two chairs, and a low bedframe. Furs covered the bed.

"I'll start a fire," she said. "What of this song, sir?" She barely smiled but her interest was clear.

Tarabim cleared his throat. "I apologize I have no lute," he said. "Twas on our mule, which is lost now. Still, I can sing:

In the gardens of
Osgiliath, my love -
The lilies lie on little lakes
where flowing water slakes
our eyes' thirst for beauty.
Between the lakes are
foam-gurgling waterfalls
where we make pledges truly.
The turning seasons never
make the flowers shiver -
oh, they pass by smoothly.
In the gardens of
Osgiliath, my love."

Regain 1 Fate: Tarabim T 5 F 3
and gain Damaris' friendship?

The woman of the woods smiled slightly broader when Tarabim had done. Her face showed satisfaction and a hint of something else.

Orin also gets to regain 2 Toughness or 1 Fate.

roryb
2020-08-21, 12:53 AM
Great song! I'm getting a real Hobbit vibe...something happens and they seem to lose everything only to meet a friend. I'm through the worst of my crazy stuff for Aug, so hope to pick up the pace again tomorrow. (don't I always promise that? :smallredface:)

roryb
2020-08-21, 10:17 PM
YYN - Is this place considered a haven? (https://orokos.com/roll/840417): 3#1d6 3 5 2

Orin found himself getting caught up in Tarabim’s beautiful song. It was one he had never heard before. He didn’t understand everything, nonetheless, he longed to see parts of the kingdom that he hadn’t before.

Damaris had an even more enthralled look on her face.

“By chance, do you have anything in your larder?” the dwarf said inappropriately. They had just been having a meal by the river before their encounter with the bear, but Orin seemed to have forgotten after their harrowing adventure.

Damaris didn’t leave Tarabim’s face when she went to fetch what she had. Indeed, she brought out smoked haunches of elk, nuts and fruits, as well as a particularly strong mead. Orin broke into the fare with renewed hunger, gnawing on one of the meaty morsels with eager, greasy fingers.

As the three sat a her simple board, conversation moved to their errand and what had precipitated that led the trapper to chance into the pair on the riverbank in the condition she found them.

“A fur-covered giant assailed us!” Orin said with a mouth full of meat.

YYN - Does Damaris know about the bear (https://orokos.com/roll/840420): 3#1d6 6 4 6 - looks like something else is at play
Random event (https://orokos.com/roll/840421): 1d6 5 rumor or memory
Good or bad? (https://orokos.com/roll/840423): 2#1d6 1 2. Uh-oh

Damaris turned her gaze from Tarabim for the first time to look at the dwarf. Orin wondered if he had said something to offend their host such was the glare she threw at him. He stopped chewing.

“You refer to Brogaeglir,” she said in a low voice. She pulled down the collar of her roughspun shirt to reveal a hideous scar that crossed from her shoulder to her collar. “That is a mean beast, and you should count yourselves lucky if you managed to escape with your lives. This bodes ill if he is near.”

Orin turned wide-eyed and slack-jawed to his companion.

Toughness 4 (3)
Fate 7

Tibbius
2020-08-23, 02:21 PM
"I wouldn't say very near," answered Tarabim, "I guess the river washed us quite a way after Orin here rode what's his name to distraction and got thrown in. I mostly drowned trying to recover him ... we were north of Osgiliath where we went in, are we north or south of there now?"

north of Osgiliath - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/840928): 3#1d6 2 2 2 ...
... and what sort of change occurs in the environment? any way, try again for an answer to this question:
north of Osgiliath - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/840929): 3#1d6 1 4 4 for a loss ... is this question cursed?
north of Osgiliath - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/840930): 3#1d6 1 6 1 and yes, we're north of Osgiliath

roryb
2020-08-24, 01:13 AM
Does it get all creepy as she tells her tale? - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/841137): 3#1d6 6 3 1...okay then
Is there more to this bear, like it’s somehow possessed? - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/841138): 3#1d6 2 2 6
Has it killed someone close to her before? - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/841139): 3#1d6 2 4 2
Damaris eyed Orin incredulously. “Rode?”

The woman’s features darkened. She leaned in to whisper and the room seemed to darken with her change in mien. “Make no mistake,” she said in a low hiss, “Brogaeglir is a killer. I lost... someone... many years ago. Now I am alone...but not a day goes by that I don’t think about that heartless man-killer.”

Suddenly, Orin blanched, thinking about Erk.

“What will we do?” cried the dwarf. “We mean to travel north, and we’ve left someone behind!”

I’m assuming she’ll offer to help now that Tarabim charmed her...maybe tricking, trapping, or driving it off with combined help. Back to you!

Toughness 4 (3)
Fate 7

Tibbius
2020-08-24, 06:49 AM
Damaris sat back with a small frown and furrowed brow. "That is bad news for your companion," she said. After a moment, she continued, "Brogaeglir is whimsical, though. Perhaps you frightened him off for a while, sir dwarf. Anyway, this seems to me like an opportunity. Alone I have never had the courage to combat the great bear. With your help, however, it may be time to seek revenge. I have some extra hunting gear that you could have, with my thanks, if you aid me in this. Tomorrow let us follow the great River north to where you encountered Brogaeglir. From there I can track him, and with luck we can end him."

She looked carefully and a bit wistfully at Tarabim, then with a pleading face toward Orin. "What do you say, men?"

does Tarabim have the guts? - yn (https://orokos.com/roll/841163): 2#1d6 2 4
will he fake it to impress the woman? - yyn (https://orokos.com/roll/841164): 3#1d6 5 6 5 ... I think we are only doing twists on doubles when the two high dice match
will he stand when it counts? - yn (https://orokos.com/roll/841165): 2#1d6 1 2

Tarabim cleared his throat before he spoke. His voice was firm and confident. "We'll aid you, lady Damaris. ... Don't you think so, master Orin?"

roryb
2020-08-29, 02:48 PM
I’d love to continue this, but my time is dwindling. This is supposed to be my vacation time, and it’s still getting away from me. Next week it’s full-on busy again. Although it’s a simple system, the oracle rolling is a higher investment per post. Reality makes continuing unrealistic and it’s not fair to you. I think I’ll have to discontinue for now. :smallfrown:

Tibbius
2020-08-29, 04:41 PM
Reality makes continuing unrealistic and it’s not fair to you. I think I’ll have to discontinue for now. :smallfrown:

Like I said before, I'm not tied to a posting rate. If this is boring you, by all means discontinue. Otherwise, you're welcome to pick this up when your time is freer.

I agree the oracle is tricky bc it puts a lot of interpretive work on us as collaborative players and refs.

roryb
2020-08-29, 07:09 PM
Definitely, it's the interpretive work, not boredom over the game. I certainly need more time to construct a post than a normal pbp game. And the longer time passes, the more I lose my motivation to write a post. I'm not tired of the game or characters here. Would you keep interest if I only could do 1-2 posts per week?

Tibbius
2020-08-29, 08:48 PM
I'm good with 1-2 posts a week - I also have commitments outside gaming that are going to take up more of my time for a while.

roryb
2020-08-30, 12:59 AM
If you don't mind a snail's pace at times, then I can keep going. I'll just quit anticipating when a post is incoming...but I hope for tomorrow... :smallbiggrin: