PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cool Strong Character | Summoner Druid With Paladin Auras

mizzelin
2020-06-26, 10:02 AM
Recently I've been challenging myself to build cool characters with 3 or more classes that make sense flavorwise and are strong by themselves.

I have a lot of fun trying to optimize some character and the groups I've been playing my whole life are not that kind of players so there is no point in share with then so I'm sharing with you to listen to opinions about these builds

The character I would like to introduce is

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/62/88/03/628803574fc3d622b975e706c5cf4ae8.jpg

Yuna, Summoner of Feywild
Half Elf Sheperd Druid / Glamour Bard / Ancients Paladin

The character concept is to summon animals, woodland beings and elementals to fight for her and buff then using abilities like
Spirit Totem, Mighty Summoner and Guardian Spirit, Mantle of Inspiration, Aura of Protection and Aura of Warding.

At level 6, 8 Wolves can be summoned which have hit points increased from 11 to 26 each.

At level 7 2 Quicklings are summoned which have hit points increased from 10 to 28, AC 16, disadvantage to be attacked, evasion, attacks 3 times with +8 and damage of 1d6 + 6 each.

At level 13 there are 4 Quicklings with 31 hit points, 2 of then move your bonus action and gain 5 temporary hp and regenerate 5 hp/turn.

At level 20, all of your allies have, in addition to previous bonuses, +2 to all saving throws and resistance to magic damage. These recent bonuses can also be applied to all characters in the group.
Summons at this level are either 8 Quicklings or 1 invisible stalker with 150 hp (47 extra)

The whole progression is this:
Starting Attribute 14, 14, 13, 8, 14, 14
Level Class Special
1 Druid 1
2 Shepard Druid 2 Spirit Totem
3 Shepard Druid 3
4 Shepard Druid 4 ASI - Resilient (Con)
5 Shepard Druid 5 Conjure Animals
6 Shepard Druid 6 Mighty Summoner
7 Shepard Druid 7 Conjure Woodland Beings
8 Shepard Druid 8 ASI - Wis +2
9 Shepard Druid 9 Conjure Elemental
10 Shepard Druid 10 Guardian Spirit
11 Bard 1 Bardic Inspiration
12 Bard 2
13 Glamour Bard 3 Mantle of Inspiration
14 Paladin 1
15 Paladin 2 FS, Divine Smite
16 Ancients Paladin 3 Nature's Wrath
17 Ancients Paladin 4 ASI - Wis +2
18 Ancients Paladin 5 Extra Attack
19 Ancients Paladin 6 Aura of Protection
20 Ancients Paladin 7 Aura of Warding

Want to hear what you guy think
Art by Aleksandra Skiba

ImproperJustice
2020-06-26, 10:45 AM
I love theory crafting and heartily support this thread.

Apologies for not yet doing a thorough read of your build yet, but wanted to throw some positive encouragement your way, in the possible advent of any negative responses you may get.

I tried something similar before mixing Ranger (Monster Slayer) / Kense Monk / and Cleric.
Trying to build an Undead Hunter.

DevilMcam
2020-06-26, 10:49 AM
I'd go druid 8 and bard 5 to have short rest based inspiration, but I kinda like it

CheddarChampion
2020-06-26, 10:53 PM
Why boost Wis and not Cha?
It seems like you're not going for a lot of offensive druid spells. More Cha would give you more uses of bardic inspiration and a better aura bonus.

I think the build is mostly fine at level 20 but getting to that point might be a pain. You start taking levels that don't boost your core abilities in order to get a bonus to specific things eventually.

By the way, the auras will have only a 10' radius. If you're right up there in the front line you're a prime target for attack because they want to stop your concentration. (Yes you'll have a +10 to Con saves but expect high damage and thus high DCs at level 20.) If you're further back/behind cover, the auras won't help your allies.

mizzelin
2020-06-27, 05:07 PM
I agree with you @Cheddar - Cha is probably better than wis. The ASIs could be used to pick feats like war caster or tough even.

One thing I question is how much Mantle of Inspiration is good or not.

She would play as a "second row" character so AC and HP is the weakness of the build.

@DevilMcam I like this variation too. The downside is dropping druid 5 level spells, mostly Conjure Elementals.