PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/D20 compatibility

Curelomosaurus
2020-06-26, 01:43 PM
The DMG says that D20 Modern is 3.5 compatible, but it's unclear to me exactly what "compatible" means. Is it RAW legal to use D20 modern classes, skills, and feats on a 3.5 character, or does "compatible" simply mean that the systems are similar enough for DM intervention to combine them?

For example:

Could a wizard use shapesand or minor creation to make a gun?

Could a factotum put ranks in Gamble or Research?

Could a monk take levels in the Martial Artist advanced class?

I'm well aware that none of these are RAI and wouldn't be appropriate for most games; I simply want to know if they work by RAW.

Altair_the_Vexed
2020-06-26, 03:22 PM
As you say - it's probably not RAI. I'd suggest that it's not really even RAW, either - extra skills, different combat mechanics (Defense in d20, vs AC in D&D, hugely different "Massive damage" rules, etc, etc) - mean that the rules sets aren't transparently compatible.

However - I think that they are trivially inter-convertible.

I ran a d20 modern game, pulling material from D&D and other d20 settings / rule-sets (e.g. Conan d20, MCWoD, etc). The conversion isn't hard. The balance is a bit trickier - especially for games that were made with different assumptions: MCWoD doesn't play well with other d20 games!

TL:DR - No, not RAI or RAW, but easily doable if you're careful.
And - jeez, it was only 3 teeny paragraphs, what kind of attention sp - SQUIRREL!

Psyren
2020-06-26, 08:11 PM
"Compatible" means "ask your DM."

Saintheart
2020-06-26, 09:35 PM
The DMG says that D20 Modern is 3.5 compatible, but it's unclear to me exactly what "compatible" means. Is it RAW legal to use D20 modern classes, skills, and feats on a 3.5 character, or does "compatible" simply mean that the systems are similar enough for DM intervention to combine them?

Just because a Model T and a Lamborghini both convert gasoline to kinetic energy does not mean you can use the same parts in each car.

Quertus
2020-06-28, 08:37 AM
I've played [as/beside] various d20 characters in various (different) d20 games. Balance to the table, and you're fine. Not exactly RAW to have a Jedi in MC WoD, though. Just saying.

illyahr
2020-06-28, 11:30 AM
They use the same rule sets but are balanced to their own system. Could you use them together? It's possible, yes. Not really a good idea

Remuko
2020-06-28, 12:34 PM
I was in a time travel campaign a long long time ago, that had D&D 3.5 characters fighting alongside and against D20 Modern characters. It can be done, and be fun.

Railak
2020-06-28, 01:06 PM
It's rather compatible, though it's more up to the DM on if you can use it. I've run plenty of fantasy modern and future campaigns using D&D and the d20 modern and future stuff.

Part of the ability to use creation or shape sand to make something is you have to have the knowledge of whatever it is you want to make, unless the wizard has seen a gun/knows how it works, by having been to the future (or is in)/seen the future/or someone brought one to the past/etc. I would definitely rule that the wizard would have no knowledge of the item in question.

radthemad4
2020-06-29, 06:41 AM
This thread details someone's attempt to use a bunch of different d20 products together (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=57491)

If you decide to make a C.O.R.E.F.A.I.L.U.R.E. character against your own better judgement, it's recommended that you use the self calculating character sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CvErZTZbwknwkXc66SK6_WcrlOfBTzaslS-L3nYdlKE/edit?usp=sharing)
I've made. Simply create a copy of it to your own google drive. The sheet has some items on it that only related to systems I'm working on integrating, but they can be safely ignored for the time being. If a cell is yellow it's a field that must be filled out to finish a first level character, if a cell is green it is safely editable, and if a cell is any shade of grey you shouldn't **** with it.

Also, BBCode really is awful, if you want to view the raw text files click this link. (https://1drv.ms/f/s%21Aqwt4OQhvK2MkxkPKJXw4V-QrMZd)

shaikujin
2020-06-29, 09:25 AM

For example:

Could a wizard use shapesand or minor creation to make a gun?

Could a factotum put ranks in Gamble or Research?

Could a monk take levels in the Martial Artist advanced class?

I'm well aware that none of these are RAI and wouldn't be appropriate for most games; I simply want to know if they work by RAW.

It might be easier to consider D20 Modern as a Campaign Setting like Eberron.

Can a wizard can use shapesand to make a gun? Yes. He doesn't even need access to D20 modern. The 3.5 DMG has guns and lasers.

Minor creation? Well, only if you can make a gun out of solely vegetable matter.

Could a factotum put ranks in Gamble or Research? By RAW yes. Any character can put ranks into those skills. Factotum just have an advantage because he/she treats any skill as a class skill.

Could a monk take levels in the Martial Artist advanced class? By RAW, no. Not without having to take the 2 feats required by that advanced class. A monk's class features might have some similarities to what the feats do, but the advanced class still requires those 2 feats.

The problem I find is going to be having Purchase DC/wealth play nice with traditional GP wealth.

Curelomosaurus
2020-06-29, 10:32 AM
So 3.5 characters can use d20 skills, but not equipment, feats, or classes?

Also, using shapesand to make DMG antimatter rifles... I like the sound of that!

Would futuristic weapons be covered by EWP (firearms)?

shaikujin
2020-06-29, 12:25 PM
So 3.5 characters can use d20 skills, but not equipment, feats, or classes?

Also, using shapesand to make DMG antimatter rifles... I like the sound of that!

Would futuristic weapons be covered by EWP (firearms)?

I would say they can use the equipment, feats and classes.
When I say monk doesn't quality for Martial Artist, that's only because the Monk class doesn't have the 2 required feats: Combat and Defensive Martial Arts. If the Monk takes these feats, he can qualify (still has to meet the Jump and BAB requirements of course).

Also, DMG considers them Exotic weapons, but if you are just using so EWP, it will have to be for each individual weapon - EWP (Laser Pistol), EWP (Antimatter Rifle) etc.

Or you can just pick up the Personal Firearms Proficiency feat from D20 Modern.