PDA

View Full Version : Artificer/Wizard question - advice needed

DarcyFinn
2020-06-26, 01:43 PM
I am a DM for a group that is about to finally finish COS. My players are keen to adjust some of their characters upon getting out of Barovia, and I am happy to facilitate this for their enjoyment.

The agreed rule is that they are all going to revert to level 5, re-roll stats if they wish (all or none) and they can multiclass within limits (nothing broken).

The current gnome divination wizard is especially keen to adjust his char a little bit, and loves the idea of a tinkering gnome artificer who then starts to drift off to the wizarding arts for the prospect of reality bending power. So he wants to dip a little into Artificer. The other reason he wants to do it is that he feels squishy as a wizard (despite long conversations about the use of mage armour, mirror image and shield spells) but loves the utility, so wants the medium armour profiency at the very least. I don't know what to advise, or if this is a good idea, or to what extent he should go into Artificer before swapping.

TLDR - Gnome player wants to multi-class as Artificer/Wizard, but keep mostly Wizard. Would people advise 1 or 2 (3 I think it's too much) Artificer levels before switching to divination wizard. Or would people advice not multi classing at all?

HolyDraconus
2020-06-26, 01:50 PM
I am a DM for a group that is about to finally finish COS. My players are keen to adjust some of their characters upon getting out of Barovia, and I am happy to facilitate this for their enjoyment.

The agreed rule is that they are all going to revert to level 5, re-roll stats if they wish (all or none) and they can multiclass within limits (nothing broken).

The current gnome divination wizard is especially keen to adjust his char a little bit, and loves the idea of a tinkering gnome artificer who then starts to drift off to the wizarding arts for the prospect of reality bending power. So he wants to dip a little into Artificer. The other reason he wants to do it is that he feels squishy as a wizard (despite long conversations about the use of mage armour, mirror image and shield spells) but loves the utility, so wants the medium armour profiency at the very least. I don't know what to advise, or if this is a good idea, or to what extent he should go into Artificer before swapping.

TLDR - Gnome player wants to multi-class as Artificer/Wizard, but keep mostly Wizard. Would people advise 1 or 2 (3 I think it's too much) Artificer levels before switching to divination wizard. Or would people advice not multi classing at all?

As long as the DM is cool with it, its fine. Defensively, the multiclass would help and give more options to an already option loaded class. 1 dip is all that's needed for the prof, but going three allows stuff like hand cannons or, since its a gnome, a free mount.

stoutstien
2020-06-26, 01:51 PM
I'd say 1,2 or 3 levels in Art then rest wizard all have valid strong augments for them. the fact that Art round up when calculating multi classing spell slot progression is pretty nice in its own right. If it was me i'd probably go art 1/wizard X and look back at art 2 if the infusions can help the party overcome resistances.

DarcyFinn
2020-06-26, 03:34 PM
What would make you want to go 1 over 2 levels or artificer?

kaervaak
2020-06-26, 03:40 PM
Wizard 5:
- pros: level 3 spells known, best spell casting progression (tied with A1/W4)
- cons: lowest HP, no armor proficiency, no con save proficiency

Artificer 1/ Wizard 4:
- pros: medium armor + shields, crossbows + firearms, 2 bonus cantrips (guidance!), con save proficiency, additional spells prepared, expanded spell list for 1st level spells (cure wounds, sanctuary), tied for best spell progression, 2 extra HP, magical tinkering, thieve's tools and artisan's tools
- cons: 1 level delay in getting new spell levels, 1 level delay in ASIs, no wizard capstone

Artificer 2/ Wizard 3:
- pros: same as artificer 1 plus infusions (4 known, 2 active), +1 HP
- cons: 1 level hit on spell casting progression, 2 level delay on getting new spells, 2 level delay on ASIs, 1 less spell slot regained with arcane recovery, 1 less ASI total

Artificer 3/ Wizard 2:
- pros: same as artificer 2 plus subclass benefits. +1HP
- Artillerist: arcane turret adds continuous bonus action use. Either reliable damage or extremely effective healing in T1/T2
- Battlesmith: Int SAD weapon attacks (great for GISH builds, especially with SGAG blade cantrips), versatile pet that gives useful bonus action/reaction options.
- Alchemist: Healing word!, experimental elixirs
- cons: 1 level hit on spell casting progression, 3 level delay in learning new spells, no spell mastery, 2 less spell slots regained with arcane recovery

Contrast
2020-06-26, 03:44 PM
What would make you want to go 1 over 2 levels or artificer?

If you take it as the first level you've got the con save and armour prof and their spellcasting rounds up when multiclassing so in terms of spell progression 1 level gives the same degree of spell slot progression as 2 levels. So the question is - are 2 magic items worth a level? Maybe in the short term but not in the long term I would argue.

Personally I think I would go 1 or 3. If they're just in it for the bonus defence just 1, if they want the flavour then 3.

diplomancer
2020-06-26, 03:56 PM
Character level 5 is probably the one level where I would not recommend this dip, 3rd level spells are big things. Take the artificer level right afterwards

That Artificers have Con saves is a good reason to start with them, but you will probably want resilient wis instead of resilient con at some point (gnome gives you some protection on wis saves, but only against spells)

DarcyFinn
2020-06-26, 05:04 PM
If you take it as the first level you've got the con save and armour prof and their spellcasting rounds up when multiclassing so in terms of spell progression 1 level gives the same degree of spell slot progression as 2 levels. So the question is - are 2 magic items worth a level? Maybe in the short term but not in the long term I would argue.

Personally I think I would go 1 or 3. If they're just in it for the bonus defence just 1, if they want the flavour then 3.

That's is extremely helpful advice, thank you very much.

Tvtyrant
2020-06-26, 05:18 PM

Armor Artificer is one of the test versions currently out, and it would be my suggestion. Heavy armor proficiency, uses int for to hit and damage while in the armor. Level 3 would be the jump out point, it also removes the strength restriction for heavy armor and negative effects on dexterity rolls.