PDA

View Full Version : anyway to ditch an early class level?

newguydude1
2020-06-26, 07:18 PM
my dm employs multiclass penalty so if i want to use savage species rituals to change my race i need to ditch a class level i got at level 2 because of favored race.

only two methods i know are
retraining which requires a dm created quest which means not usable in the middle of a campaign
reducing my level back to 1 which i might be able to pull off but its a huge headache.

i know about the feat in ua that gives a favored class, but my dm is raw or die and unfortunately that feat is under a section called house rules. why wotc... why would you call that feat a house rule....

Hiro Quester
2020-06-26, 08:46 PM
There is always the time-tested method of giving the PC a heroically suicidal death, holding off the monsters while the party escapes, rushing bravely into the series of very fatal traps to spring them for his friends, or whatever.

Then having his cousin, friend, brother from another mother, or whatever (who has the characteristics you wish this character has) arrive just after the death scene, tragically mourn the PCs's premature death, and vow to take over his role in the party's important mission.

Crake
2020-06-26, 10:52 PM
Character rebuilds in phb2 allow characters to re-select their class levels, but also entirely require DM approval, and tend to involve some kind of short quest.

Thurbane
2020-06-27, 06:20 PM
Isn't there some psionic power that does this? No, apparently not. Just looked up Psychic Reformation - only works for skills, feats and powers.

newguydude1
2020-07-02, 08:01 AM
Character rebuilds in phb2 allow characters to re-select their class levels, but also entirely require DM approval, and tend to involve some kind of short quest.

i already said that on the fp

Isn't there some psionic power that does this? No, apparently not. Just looked up Psychic Reformation - only works for skills, feats and powers.

i know. feats and skills are so easy to retrain, but class levels are unremovable.

theres gotta be a way.

does this work?
starting level:7, want to get rid of class level obtained at level 2
1. intentionally fail negative levels until i am level 1
2. gain a level to 2
3. cast restoration and get back to 7.

Aotrs Commander
2020-07-02, 08:31 AM
Pretty sure there isn't. I have never seen something so mentioned, not even in some of the TO posts where that sort of thing would be leveraged hard if it did. Retraining is basically the only way, I'm 99.99% sure.

Anthrowhale
2020-07-02, 10:40 AM
The "Tainted" classes in Dragon 302 have explicit rules allowing nonlinear removal in the case of level loss.

aglondier
2020-07-02, 05:22 PM
Get hit by a creature that can level drain, I don't remember it saying anywhere that it always takes your last earned level, have it take the level you wanted to lose. You are one level behind, and can advance from there as normal. ??

ExLibrisMortis
2020-07-02, 05:25 PM
does this work?
starting level:7, want to get rid of class level obtained at level 2
1. intentionally fail negative levels until i am level 1
2. gain a level to 2
3. cast restoration and get back to 7.
No, but it has been argued that you do not have to select the levels you had when you regain your XP through restoration. So you could get drained to level 1, get a restoration, and spend your XP on a different series of levels.

Tvtyrant
2020-07-02, 05:42 PM
Ice Assassin of someone with the class levels you want and then Magic Jar into them? I think MR can arguably do it as well but that spell is capital Evil.

newguydude1
2020-07-03, 02:39 AM
Get hit by a creature that can level drain, I don't remember it saying anywhere that it always takes your last earned level, have it take the level you wanted to lose. You are one level behind, and can advance from there as normal. ??

A 617

Rules Compendium is the only place I know of where it's stated outright:

"A victim who loses a level loses the most recent level gained, losing one Hit Die along with a number of hit points equal to the average result of that die."

(Rules Compendium, pg. 49)

The wording in various other places, like the PHB glossary and the MM, suggests that this is also RAI (to me anyway), but I don't know of any other direct statement on the matter. So, it depends on whether or not your table regards the Rules Compendium as authoritative.

has to be your last earned level.

Ice Assassin of someone with the class levels you want and then Magic Jar into them? I think MR can arguably do it as well but that spell is capital Evil.

you dont gain class levels of the body you magic jar into.

Darrin
2020-07-04, 11:20 AM
Would "Additional Favored Class" (Unearthed Arcana p. 100) be any help here?

Otherwise... going Necropolitan (Libris Mortis p. 115) involves losing a level.

newguydude1
2020-07-04, 01:20 PM
Would "Additional Favored Class" (Unearthed Arcana p. 100) be any help here?

no cause by raw that feat is a house rule. wotc is so dumb. my dm is raw or die.

Otherwise... going Necropolitan (Libris Mortis p. 115) involves losing a level.

your most recent level. not the level i got at 2nd level. i go a dread necro dip to carry me until level 6. from level 6 i want to ditch the dreadnecro level i got at level 2.

D+1
2020-07-04, 01:43 PM
use up a wish

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-04, 03:34 PM
Store your XP level in a thought bottle (Complete Arcane), level-drain yourself down to level 1, fail all your saves, then restore from backup the thought bottle. It restores your XP total, not the levels you've gained, so you can re-level however you like.

Vizzerdrix
2020-07-04, 03:59 PM
no cause by raw that feat is a house rule. wotc is so dumb. my dm is raw or die.

You should look into drowned healing. Nothing like a bucket of water to bring someone back from the brink of death.

Thurbane
2020-07-04, 05:28 PM
If your DM is pushing RAW, then ask him if it would be within the power of a Wish spell to change the level.

Would be very expensive though.

aglondier
2020-07-06, 10:14 PM
Nobly sacrifice your character...and bring in his better designed cousin...