PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Playable Imp Race

Greywander
2020-06-26, 09:07 PM
It's been attempted before, but here's my crack at a playable imp race.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Igjeb2Sij6iBsuF4rmNl8bPueqkoGPQR490-Jnj7A8Q/edit?usp=sharing

Imps are pretty cool; there's a reason why they tend to be the first choice for a chainlock familiar. They're not strong in a combat sense (although they're more resilient than most familiars), but they have a number of neat tricks up their sleeve for utility. The thing is, especially if you add class levels on top, they're just too strong for a player race, as-is. I tried to tone them down while still making all the cool stuff available via racial feats (so you can still get them, but not for free). I also included a few racial feats for some abilities I read about on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

And yes, I realize it's still stronger than most playable races, but at least it isn't quite as ridiculous. I have further ideas for toning things down (e.g. instead of straight up resistance to non-silvered weapons, reducing damage by your prof. bonus, or, instead of magic resistance giving advantage, it would just add 1d4 to the save), but since the base race was getting kind of busy, I decided to forgo those in favor of just having the "full version" available as a feat. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to combine the toned down versions of several of these into one or two feats, instead of having a bunch of different feats that each offer a strong ability.

Thoughts? I just whipped this up real quick, so it probably has some issues.

PS. Missing Devil's Sight? You'll have to dip into warlock for that.