PDA

View Full Version : Snatch the Black blade of disaster

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 11:12 PM
I'm building a lycanthrope dervish, and was wondering if I could pass the fort save to grasp the black blade of disaster spell, could I wield it as a normal sword?

To further compound on this, could I use snatch weapon to grab the sword itself?

Otherwise, is there a way to make it useable as a proper weapon?

Evoker
2020-06-26, 11:20 PM
Per the fact that it is not actually a sword, but a "sword-shaped planar rift" I'm guessing not. Plus, you'd still be taking some quantity of 5d6 damage hits for wielding it, although how much damage you would take for continuous contact is not specified.

Zanos
2020-06-26, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure how you could physically grasp and move a 'sword shaped planar rift'. Your hand would just pass through it and force a fort save for touching it. As above even if you could you'd still take 5d6 damage every round for wielding it and a minimum of 34d6 on a failed fort save, which could always happen on a natural 1.

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-26, 11:55 PM
Nat 1 is beaten by steadfast determination.

As for the damage, the build as is makes it a non-issue

Crake
2020-06-26, 11:59 PM
Either way, the effect itself is not an object you can grasp, there's no way to "wield" it so to speak.

That being said, you could possibly homebrew a sword hilt that can project the black blade, and you'd probably end up with something like this:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/b/b5/Twilight_concept_art.jpg/227px-Twilight_concept_art.jpg

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 12:11 AM
I guess a use activated continuous item would work. Unfortunately it costs over 200'000 GP

Evoker
2020-06-27, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately, that wouldn't work per RAW to allow you to make a full attack with the spell effect. A *very* permissive gm might allow it under rule of cool.

The Glyphstone
2020-06-27, 12:21 AM
Why does it need to be Use-activated Continuous? Just make it an unlimited-use command word, going 17 rounds in between activations should be more than enough to win any fight you need it for.

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 12:28 AM
Command word is standard action. A use activated can be rolled into the usage to make it a free action.

So this would allow you to make it activate on each swing and full attack with it.

Evoker
2020-06-27, 12:37 AM
Command word is standard action. A use activated can be rolled into the usage to make it a free action.

So this would allow you to make it activate on each swing and full attack with it.
That's just incorrect. It would, at best, summon one blade, that acts independently of you, when you took the attack/full attack action. No matter how many times you cast the spell, that doesn't alter the fact that the spell does not create an object or effect that can be attacked with, only an effect that will independently attack.

Nifft
2020-06-27, 01:08 AM
https://i.imgur.com/MxodfmP.jpg

Can't you just seek out Blackrazor and wield it like any normal murderhobo?

Darg
2020-06-27, 01:17 AM
Dominate Person?

OT, but I just realized that the wording of the spell lets you use it to hit 2 targets every round.

Maybe you could adapt the BGII version of the spell for your game use?

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 02:50 AM

Can't you just seek out Blackrazor and wield it like any normal murderhobo?

Blackrazor isnt what I need for this though.

It's for the aesthetic! And the concept!

StevenC21
2020-06-27, 03:01 AM
Get a sword made of voidstone.

TheCount
2020-06-27, 06:40 AM
Make a magic glove, after the glove of endless javelins.

like:
Rift glove
standard action activation, this glove conjures a blade as per the Black blade of disaster spell, except as below.
the blade cant leave your gloved hand or its magic unravels and after 5 rounds, disappears or the gloves are destroyed by its magic and everything in a 15ft radius burst needs to make a saving throw.

its a 9th level spell, if you want to make your opponents go *puff* just teleport them away!
also, its would be an artifact most likely.

Vaern
2020-06-27, 06:40 AM
That's just incorrect. It would, at best, summon one blade, that acts independently of you, when you took the attack/full attack action. No matter how many times you cast the spell, that doesn't alter the fact that the spell does not create an object or effect that can be attacked with, only an effect that will independently attack.
That's assuming the item just emulates a spell. There are magic items that will use a certain spell for its creation without precisely emulating the effect of the spell. Though, in this case, it questionable whether the magic item guidelines in the DMG would be a reasonable way to price the item.

Honestly, if I wanted to make a craftable weapon based on the black blade of disaster, I'd make it a [Synergy] weapon property that amplifies the effects of a vicious weapon. Something like...

Disastrous [Synergy]
Price: +2 bonus
Property: Melee weapon
Caster Level: 17th
Synergy prerequisite: Vicious

When a disastrous weapon is activated, it is sheathed in a crackling mass of disruptive black energy. The wielder of the weapon takes 2d6 points of damage, plus an additional 2d6 for each round the item is held while active.
When a disastrous weapon strikes an opponent, a flash of disruptive energy resonates between the opponent and the wielder. This energy deals an extra 6d6 points of damage to the opponent and 1d6 points of damage to the wielder. Any creature reduced to 0 HP by a disastrous weapon is disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust.

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, black blade of disaster.

Yeah, yeah, I know. This isn't what you're looking for and you want a martial character who can get 5 attacks per round at 40d6 apiece. But, I mean, this bit of homebrew seems a bit more reasonable and is probably a bit more likely to make it past your DM.

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 07:12 AM
If it was just the 40d6 damage I'd just throw a use activated disentigrate.

It's for the character concept! A GM asked me to convert over to 3.5 and it's among the few things I cant replicate for the character.

I toyed around with a living spell of the thing but RAW the sword would only affect them on ITS OWN engulf/slam. So that doesnt help me either.

Also if we're being technical as the character is now I gain 28 attacks on a full attack.

TheCount
2020-06-27, 07:42 AM
would a duskblade's channeling work?

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-27, 08:10 AM
Awakened living spell monk can wield himself?

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 09:47 AM
would a duskblade's channeling work?

Yes. But that's a 13 level dip I cant afford

Evoker
2020-06-27, 10:19 AM

I feel the need to point out that that would probably not work either. The text is: "If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all." I would think that would mean: take given action, get activation as an added bonus. If so, taking the "full attack" action would only provide one activation, as full attacking is only one action.
Furthermore, the Continuous/Use-Activated Spell Effect is clearly intended to be exclusively available to spells with an ongoing duration, based on this text: "If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half". This clearly assumes that the spell has a duration other than instantaneous.
Finally, the suggestion to use Voidstone is probably the most practical, in terms of recreating the effect of black blade of disaster while still allowing a full-attack (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?480986-The-Voidstone-Arsenal-For-when-you-really-want-stuff-gone). The DC 25 fort save is somewhat lower, but rather than damage it provides outright destruction on a failed fort save.

Nifft
2020-06-27, 10:36 AM
Blackrazor isnt what I need for this though.

It's for the aesthetic! And the concept!

Okay, it turns out there is a way to snatch Black Blade of Disaster.

BBoD is a spell with a duration including Concentration, which means you can steal it via co-opt concentration (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm).

You'll need to be a Psion or Wilder to manifest that power, or find some other way to manifest it (psicrown for example).

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-27, 10:42 AM
Okay, it turns out there is a way to snatch Black Blade of Disaster.

BBoD is a spell with a duration including Concentration, which means you can steal it via co-opt concentration (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm).

You'll need to be a Psion or Wilder to manifest that power, or find some other way to manifest it (psicrown for example).

Awesome. But alas. It still doesnt allow me to wield it.

Darg
2020-06-27, 10:45 AM
Except you don't actually concentrate on the spell. It's cast and forget and if you want to change targets it costs a standard action.

Anthrowhale
2020-06-27, 03:18 PM
Also note that Incantatrix 6 can seize control of the spell.

Nifft
2020-06-27, 04:24 PM
Except you don't actually concentrate on the spell. It's cast and forget and if you want to change targets it costs a standard action.

Can you cite what book you're getting that from?

The listing I'm reading says that the spell is Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round per level.

Darg
2020-06-28, 12:28 AM
No, you are right. I simply made an assumption based on every other similar spell with similar wording. Either way, in 3.5 the spell could never change targets unless you use tricks to take over the concentration for you as it requires a standard action to do so. This means that even if one were to co-opt it, there isn't a built in way to change the target without ending the spell.

Nifft
2020-06-28, 02:37 AM
No, you are right. I simply made an assumption based on every other similar spell with similar wording. Either way, in 3.5 the spell could never change targets unless you use tricks to take over the concentration for you as it requires a standard action to do so. This means that even if one were to co-opt it, there isn't a built in way to change the target without ending the spell.

I think the power we were talking about does that.

Here's the text: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm

What doesn't work?

Manyasone
2020-06-28, 05:58 AM

It's for the character concept! A GM asked me to convert over to 3.5 and it's among the few things I cant replicate for the character.

I toyed around with a living spell of the thing but RAW the sword would only affect them on ITS OWN engulf/slam. So that doesnt help me either.

Also if we're being technical as the character is now I gain 28 attacks on a full attack.

What are you converting from, if I may ask?

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-28, 07:08 AM
A specific RP of a custom system we used to play around with. The GM asked me to convert this guy over because he wants me to PLAY the BBEG in his campaign

And he specifically asked me to convert over a collection of the characters blades as well, or find a 3.5 equivalent. So.... here I sit. Trying to snag the black blade of disaster or a mechanical equivalent to it.

Voidstone while cool. Is already represented in his toolkit.

The Glyphstone
2020-06-28, 10:57 AM
What you're looking for just doesn't exist, at least to create the specific mechanical effect you want. So it's homebrew for you, or else settle for refluffing/thematic inspiration.

Empyreal Dragon
2020-06-28, 11:55 AM
My only other idea was a two part living spell of twinned black blade of disaster. Constantly readying an action for me to swing at the enemy. Not technically a full attack. But 4 hits from the spell is 4 hits.

Darg
2020-06-28, 07:11 PM
I think the power we were talking about does that.

Here's the text: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm

What doesn't work?

Concentrating on a spell requires a standard action in order to keep concentrating on the spell. BBoD requires a standard action to change targets. Without tricks like levels in spirit shaman or the Swift Concentration skill trick you will lose concentration when trying to change targets. Schism would also work. It's the only spell I know that can't work as intended insularly.

Considering it's the only spell of that type to have a duration of concentration it is most likely a mistake. Or a consequence of making it a conjuration spell from evocation from AD&D to 3.0 as a balancing measure?