PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Assault on a floating castle (Elemental Plane of Air)

Brymja9711
2020-06-27, 01:12 AM
Hello everyone,
(a very little bit of background on a current campaign)
I am currently running a Trilogy-like adventure, where the players have now completed 2 parts. I have been very cautiously dropping hints for the entire 3-year long campaign about the coming climax of this story known as The Scourge of Salvatore Grimsbane. The players have been through quite a lot leading up to the third part, and now they are starting to connect the dots. The game has been a huge mix of mystery, combat, intrigue, and adventuring, and it has all led up to this final ending. To make a long story short, the main villain (sort of), has been causing problems over the entire world of Edas'Izoras (though some of the problems could be seen as solutions), and his final Apogee is finding and releasing Acruthan the Abandoned (A God lost to time during the Wars of the Damned). His reasoning behind this release is that the Gods are hypocrites, and have watched as millions of their creations (The mortals) have suffered and died by their hands. Their plotting and scheming has only caused more harm than good. So, with a being that is capable of completely ending the Pantheon, Salvatore and the world would have peace, a peace without the gods. Now, obviously the villain's motives are not all ideal, and Acruthan will seek to end all that appose him (including salvatore, as he is just a vessle), but many have followed him on this journey. So, after many a session, the party has now arrived at the Ember Laboratory, where the portal of worlds exists, where Acruthan awaits his return. Basically, delving deeper in this laboratory, the party will arrive at the Gate (Known as Krovas' Gate), where Salvatore will step through just as they arrive. Seeing as this could be a problem, the party will follow. However, instead of appearing on my second world of Zycore, they will arrive at Acruthan's Prison. There, they will have an epic battle with the Prison's Defenders, Salvatore, and Acruthan. The party will most likely not win through this encounter, and will be forced to leave as Acruthan's awakening begins to collapse the demiplane around them (Timed encounter). The party will then escape the Ember Laboratory, and will discover that both Acruthan and Salvatore have escaped to a floating castle in the Elemental Plane of Air (which I have hinted at in the past).

So, on to the question:
The players will now have to figure out a way of defeating Acruthan (Be it through imprisonment or banishment), how best to assault a floating fortress in the Elemental Plane of Air (Which is heavily fortified), and kill salvatore once and for all. For this major encounter (probably multiple sessions long), what kind of rules/features could this castle use/have? how could I make this attack on the flying fortress fun yet challenging? What would be the best way of running something that big? Note: I will be using as much 3D terrain as possible, I'm just having difficulty with rules.