PDA

View Full Version : How often do Dragonwrought Kobolds show up?

reddir
2020-06-27, 02:27 AM
Is there any guidance given on how often, either in time or % chance, Dragonwrought Kobolds show up in the general Kobold population?

Mechanically it only takes a single Feat but they seem quite uncommon. Do they show up at all outside of PCs and plot-critical NPCs (GM need)?

ranagrande
2020-06-27, 07:03 AM
Races of the Dragon has some good info for this. The table on page 143 says that dragons make up 2% to 10% of the population of Kobold settlements on average. Although it doesn't specify, most of those are probably Dragonwrought Kobolds.

Nifft
2020-06-27, 11:28 AM
Once, and then the DM learns the lesson.

But seriously, in my games it would depend how often that campaign had a dragon who wanted to put in the effort. In my games the "dragonwrought" moniker is accurate -- a dragon has to do something to the kobold egg in question.

reddir
2020-06-27, 06:03 PM
Races of the Dragon has some good info for this. The table on page 143 says that dragons make up 2% to 10% of the population of Kobold settlements on average. Although it doesn't specify, most of those are probably Dragonwrought Kobolds.

Perfect! Thank you!
The extra info around that re kobold settlements is also helpful, so thanks again for leading me here!

reddir
2020-06-27, 06:05 PM
Once, and then the DM learns the lesson.

But seriously, in my games it would depend how often that campaign had a dragon who wanted to put in the effort. In my games the "dragonwrought" moniker is accurate -- a dragon has to do something to the kobold egg in question.

Do you mean some direct action, like breathe on it or put a scale next to the egg or similar?
Or simply desire for one to be born and some nearby kobold settlement will have an egg turn into a dragonwrought of that dragon's type?

Nifft
2020-06-27, 06:25 PM
Do you mean some direct action, like breathe on it or put a scale next to the egg or similar?
Or simply desire for one to be born and some nearby kobold settlement will have an egg turn into a dragonwrought of that dragon's type? It's not actually in the rules, but in my games dragonwrought does mean that the kobold was somehow "wrought" by a dragon.

I've never had to make up the specific details, it's just so that whenever the PCs encounter a dragonwrought kobold, they know that a (much larger) dragon's interests are somehow involved.

reddir
2020-06-27, 08:43 PM
It's not actually in the rules, but in my games dragonwrought does mean that the kobold was somehow "wrought" by a dragon.

I've never had to make up the specific details, it's just so that whenever the PCs encounter a dragonwrought kobold, they know that a (much larger) dragon's interests are somehow involved.

That's cool. I didn't think it was in the rules anywhere. I was just curious how someone might use this.

Nice to see the little rascals getting some attention from the real Dragons. That must be one happy tribe to actually get tapped into serving the great dragons.

Vaern
2020-06-27, 10:55 PM
It's not actually in the rules, but in my games dragonwrought does mean that the kobold was somehow "wrought" by a dragon.

According to kobold lore, the first true dragons gave up their immortality in exchange for the secret of creating life. Each of them cut off a piece of him- or herself; the severed piece grew into a new dragon which eventually became a mate, while from the blood that was spilled as a result they gave shape and life to kobolds - servants who would obey without question in the true dragons' eternal quest to accumulate as much material wealth as possible. So in a way, all kobolds are wrought by dragons to serve their interests somehow.

As for how actual dragonwrought kobolds occur, it kind of looks like kobold eggs just have a random chance of being dragonwrought eggs. It does mention that the dragonwrought egg is spotted with the color of the true dragon that influences the kobold within the egg, though it doesn't go into any more detail about what that actually means. It might just be referring to the "original" true dragon that the dragonwrought kobold descended from, which influences its color. Or perhaps, as you do it in your games, the birth of a dragonwrought kobold is more directly influenced in some way.