PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Campaign Note: Making distinct weapon styles

Promethean
2020-06-27, 04:35 AM
Re:"I'm going to be building a custom setting for a campaign, so I've decided to play with some of the mechanics of base D&D to try and make them fit the setting better. I'm probably going to be asking for opinions/help on a few unrelated topics to make sure I'm not about to break something in some unforeseen way."

Changing Alignment (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?614507-Custom-Campaign-Notes-Changing-how-alignment-works)

Next up: I'll trying to make all weapon "Styles" unique and interesting to play. Base D&D has 3 weapon styles, Two-handed(x1.5[+0.5 per limb] damage multiplyer), Multi-Weapon(1 extra attack per weapon), and Sword&Board(Just more AC), but the base mechanics favor two-handed fighting unless players put significant investment in obscure feats.

Sword&Board: I'll be adding some new rules to D&D's AoO(Attack of Opportunity), AC, and shield mechanics.
A) Making an attack on your turn while in a square threatened by an enemy Provokes an AoO per attack made, even if they are the enemy being attack are attacking(normal AoO per turn limits apply).
B) Characters can choose to Roll Their Base defense rather than "take 10" as an AoO or Attack action(essentially having a d20+[total armor bonuses] rather than the default 10+[total armor bonuses]).
C) Characters may normally only take the "Defense" action against a single attack or AoO from a single enemy(see Multi-Weapon section for more info)
D) Any Characters that 1. chooses to roll their "Defense", 2. "Crits" by rolling a 20, and 3. exceeds their attacker's roll on the confirmation, can reflect damage based on how well they succeeded(reflecting half the damage an enemy would have dealt if they succeed by 5 or more, and reflecting the full amount if they succeed by 10 or more)
E) Characters that use a shield can add their BaB and one either strength or dexterity(character's choice) to their "Defense" Roll.
F) Animated shields have an "Effective BaB" of their Enhancement bonus for the purposes of "Defense" rolls. The action still takes an attack or AoO from the character(the character in question must mentally command the shield to do so). Animated shields that are also Intelligent magic items may add their highest mental stat to their defense roll in place of strength or dexterity and may take the "Defense" action on their own(once on their character's turn as an attack and once as an AoO, as an Intelligent magic item is a character without a class or feats).

Multi-weapon: I'll be changing how multi-weapon fighting works entirely. "Additional" Weapons no longer add extra attacks to a character's "Full Attack" action. Instead, characters with extra weapons take a penalty to Every attack roll they make for each extra weapon they employ(-5 per extra weapon by default, -3 per weapon with two-weapon fighting, etc.), but each extra weapon also grants a "Weapon action" per attack. "Weapon-Actions" are made using a character's primary attack roll and may be spent to:
A) Attack another enemy in that character's threatened squares.
B) Make any "Special-Attack"(trip, sunder, disarm, etc.) that weapon is capable of(grappling with tentacles, claws, or tails for example). Even on the same enemy(I.E. a character may trip and grapple an opponent using the same attack roll if they have two weapons capable of that[like a spiked chain and a tail])
C) Use the "Defense" action vs an enemy's Attack or AoO(Weapon+Shield users may also choose to split their actions to "attack" and "defend" at the same time, with above penalties)

Does this break anything in particular? I'd like some more opinions on it.