PDA

View Full Version : couple questions regarding 3.5 celestial armor

the_tick_rules
2020-06-27, 03:17 PM
I already found a couple of very old threads about it and I didn't find anything concrete. Has there been anything official regarding it's mithral status? It was asked in thread i reviewed but it was just people thinking. It is half the weight, has -3 armor check, and is light armor which is what mithral would give chainmail so while it nowhere specifically says it's made of mithral it's certainly looks that way.

I'm mostly interested in spikes. We all know the trick of adding spikes to armor/shields and giving them powerful defensive weapon properties. It isn't spiked but if you had it made using crafting rules could you have them added? Or say if you had access to a wish spell could you wish them added? Celestial armor is great stuff but it is not the equal of what you can do with a spiked mithral breastplate or chain shirt.

Mordaedil
2020-06-28, 08:43 AM
Adding spikes to armor has a static cost and it doesn't really state that the spikes have to be made of what the armor is made out of, so it might be considered just adjusting the armor itself to be spiky.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 09:06 AM
Celestial Armor (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) isn't any special material by RAW, you can call it whatever material you want to.

Armor Spikes are a separate item, you can have them made from whatever you want. Adding armor spikes to leather or hide armor doesn't mean the spikes are made from leather or hide. You can put adamantine armor spikes on non-adamantine armor if you want. You can have dragonfang armor spikes made (Draconomicon p117) and put them on any armor you want, not just dragonhide armor of the same dragon variety. Adding a material restriction to armor spikes based on the armor's material has zero precedent and would need to be a house rule that your DM needs to discuss with the group before it's implemented.

Eladrinblade
2020-06-28, 10:09 AM
If you make it feycraft and nimble, it won't have an acp or spell failure. That's what I did on my guy.

the_tick_rules
2020-06-28, 11:35 AM
I found feycrafting in the DMG 2. I didn't see anything that reduces armor check penalty, did I miss it or is it somewhere else?

As for the other responses I don't recall asking if spikes had to be made of the same material I was intending to ask if spikes could be added at all. Though the fact they can be made of new material did make me think of something, Thinaum spikes. If you ever die your soul get drawn into the spikes.

Remuko
2020-06-28, 12:33 PM
I found feycrafting in the DMG 2. I didn't see anything that reduces armor check penalty, did I miss it or is it somewhere else?

they said feycraft AND nimble. Feycraft reduces spell failure and nimble reduces check penalty (afaik)

the_tick_rules
2020-06-28, 01:24 PM
I thought ACP reduction was only -1 for nimbleness and thought there must have been something in feycraft providing the rest. it is -2

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 02:47 PM
I thought ACP reduction was only -1 for nimbleness and thought there must have been something in feycraft providing the rest. it is -2

Nimbleness (MIC) is +1 higher max Dex bonus, and reduces ACP by 2, costs a +1 enhancement.