PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building the pathfinder Capoeirista - up n down trick

Heavenblade
2020-06-27, 03:25 PM
So, here is a neat combo I found -
Take the stand up rogue talent that lets you stand from prone as a free action.
Take the acrobatic sit up armor trick.
If you got the cash, take the quick action Slippers

Drop prone as a free action
Stand up as a free action
Punch a guy

Rinse and repeat until the enemy is dead.
You basically get tons of free action attacks at your highest BaB as long as you can keep hitting.

Powerful? Yes.
Op? Not really, for the following reasons -
1. When you stand up, until you get the item, you provoke from adjacent opponents - it's not always usable.
2. The moment you miss, you are done with the combo until your next turn and you cannot stand up
3. Since it requires a pretty niche rogue talents, almost every class that will get it will be 3/4 BaB = more chances of missing earlier.

Now, this combat style of dropping and then standing into a punch/kick really reminded me of the little bit I know about Capoeira.

Combine that with the fact this build seems to work really well with the little-used combination feats, and I begun to wonder what would be the best way to build it, fluff wise.

Currently my two main ideas are
1. A red tongue skald. Gets a lot of focus on the performance aspect, gets rogue talents.
2. Ninja - focused on charisma, gets sneak attack which works really well with lots of attacks, and easier access to unarmed styles.

Do you playgrounders have any ideas for other classes/archetypes that give charisma focus, rogue talents, and could work well with the character's theme and build?
Also, advice regarding feats and other cool things would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Psyren
2020-06-27, 03:54 PM
Am I missing something? Acrobatic Sit Up (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/armor-trick-combat/#Medium_Armor_Tricks) lets you get up as a free action after you take the attack action while prone. It doesn't reduce the attack action from being a standard. So you could do the "combo" at most once per round - free action drop, standard action attack + free action stand again. You could then drop again if you want to but you wouldn't be able to attack again until your next turn.

Also, even if you could reduce the whole thing to only use free actions, keep this FAQ in mind (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9r85) which encourages the GM to place limits on what you can truly do for free.

Heavenblade
2020-06-27, 04:04 PM
Qoute from the feat -

Whenever you are prone, you can make an attack against a single foe and stand from prone without provoking an attack of opportunity from that foe.

Make a single melee attack against one target without the normal penalties for attacking while prone.

If you hit your target, you can immediately stand from prone (normally a move action) without provoking an attack of opportunity from that target for doing so.

Where does it say Im limited to an attack action? The feat says that whenever Im prone I can make an attack while standing up. The usual limit of the feat is that I need to spend the action to stand up - in that case a free action.

Im aware of the FaQ, and that it wouldnt fly with any GM - but its more of a theorycrafting thing, +it's powerful, but not insanely so - and even with a limit (dex mod or something) it could still be a nice thing to pull off.

Kurald Galain
2020-06-27, 04:34 PM
The feat says that whenever Im prone I can make an attack while standing up.

It says the exact opposite: you can stand up while making an attack.

Heavenblade
2020-06-27, 04:36 PM
Hmm...I mean, I can see how it is read both ways, but I cannot actually see a definitive reason to go either way. It doesnt specify the type of attack, and the fact they say I also pay the action cost for standing and for attacking makes me think it might have been intended the other way around

Psyren
2020-06-27, 04:41 PM
Making an attack (whether prone or not) defaults to the attack action. You have to find text that explicitly says you can attack as a free action to override that general rule.

Heavenblade
2020-06-28, 01:01 AM
Could you link me to that specific ruling?

Psyren
2020-06-28, 02:13 AM
Could you link me to that specific ruling?

"Attack

Making an attack is a standard action." (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/combat/#TOC-Attack)

That's the general rule.

Heavenblade
2020-06-28, 02:20 AM
Oh man...and I got rally excited about this build.:smallfrown:

Wellp, back to the drawing board!