PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Ways To Get Around Racial Spell Components

Thurbane
2020-06-27, 06:31 PM
So, I asked about this in the Simple Raw Thread recently.

Q 599

The Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell ability allow the caster to cast as spell as a supernatural ability which, among other things, means it does not require any components.

Would this allow the caster to ignore racial components, such as with the Dominate Vermin or Aberrate spells?

A 599

There are two ways to look at it.

By RAW, assuming one reads the word "components" in the Dweomerkeeper's entry as meaning components of all kinds, whether special or otherwise, then the answer is "Yes".

However, also by RAW, in the case of Aberrate and other spells from the Book of Vile Darkness that have the 'racial component', they are termed special components required for spells "in addition to the components from the PHB." Because the Dweomerkeeper only on the RAW allows one to eschew "components" and does not refer to "special components", it is at least arguable that the Supernatural Spell ability does not apply to it.

Speaking editorially, the writers of BoVD really should have used the word "prerequisite" in place of "component" on page 83. One assumes they didn't because they didn't want to create yet another template block, make the book longer, and therefore make it more expensive.
I had previously touched on the topic before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?601155), as well.

What are some way to ignore the racial reqs of certain spells? I thought Dweomerkeeper would work, now I'm not so sure.

The only other way I can think of off the top of my head is changing forms in a way that actually grants you the required racial type.

Celestial Mystic 2 allows you to cast spells as if you were an Archon - not sure if there are other PrCs that give similar abilities for different races?

WOuld putting the spells in a Wand, Staff, Runestaff etc. allow anyone with the spell on their list to use it, regardless of race?

All help welcomed, but as usual, PF, 3rd party and home-brew aren't useful for my purposes.

I've made a list of spells below: are there spells outside of BoED, BoVD and DotU that have racial components?

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2020-06-27, 06:41 PM
Spell
Levels
Source
Component

Aberrate
Sor/Wiz 1
BoVD
Fiend

Abyssal Might
Blk 3, Clr 4, Dem 3, Sor/Wiz 4
BoVD
Demon

Armored Vermin
Clr 4, Drd 4
DotU
Drow

Axiomatic Creature
Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8
BoED
Archon

Boneblade
Blk 2, Clr 3
BoVD
Undead

Boneblast
Blk 1, Clr 2
BoVD
Undead

Call Faithful Servants
Cel 6, Clr 6
BoED
Celestial

Crown of Brilliance
Clr 6
BoED
Archon

Crown of Flame
Clr 5, EA 5
BoED
Archon

Dominate Vermin
Clr 3, Drd 3
DotU
Drow

Dridershape
Sor/Wiz 5
DotU
Drow

Fiendish Quickening
Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
BoVD
Fiend

Flesh Ripper
Clr 3, MH 3
BoVD
Fiend, Undead

Grim Revenge
Sor/Wiz 4
BoVD
Undead

Gutwrench
Sor/Wiz 8
BoVD
Undead

Heaven's Trumpet
Brd 6, Clr 7, EB 4
BoED
Archon

Hell's Power
Blk 3, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
BoVD
Devil

Last Judgment
Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8, Wrath 8
BoED
Celestial

Quickshift
Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
BoED
Celestial

Resonating Resistance
Clr 5, MH 4, Sor/Wiz 5
BoVD
Fiend

Sacred Guardian
AP 5, Clr 5
BoED
Celestial

Shield of the Archons
AP 7, Clr 7
BoED
Archon

Yochlol Blessing
Clr 4
DotU
Drow

Anthrowhale
2020-06-27, 07:01 PM
Changelings have the 'Racial Emulation' feat available for any humanoid subtype.

Thurbane
2020-06-27, 07:14 PM
Changelings have the 'Racial Emulation' feat available for any humanoid subtype.

Well, that should work for Drow! Nice. :smallsmile:

The Viscount
2020-06-27, 07:15 PM
My instinct is to say that putting it in a wand/scroll/etc wouldn't automatically remove the racial requirement, but would allow you to make the DC 25 UMD check to emulate a race, if only to let that bit actually do something.

Crichton
2020-06-27, 07:23 PM
I think option number 2 in that RAW thread is baloney, from a real RAW perspective.

Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell doesn't ask 'what type of component is this?' it only asks 'is this a component of casting this spell?' If the answer is yes, then you don't need it. Full stop, no further questions or provisos.

You do, however, have to have that spell prepared into a slot, or if spontaneous, have it known, and have an appropriate spell slot open and available for use.

Zanos
2020-06-28, 01:29 AM
I believe there's a ritual in Savage Species that can be used to add just racial subtypes, but it's relatively expensive. Those should make you qualify.

Anthrowhale
2020-06-28, 06:39 AM
Kiss of the Vampire plausibly gives you Undead without changing form.

That leaves Fiend, Demon, Devil, Archon, and Celestial. Of these, Archon is a subtype, but what is the precise definition of the others?

Quentinas
2020-06-28, 06:54 AM
Demon spells require you to being an evil outsider from the Abyss
Devil spells require you to being an evil outsider from the Nine Hells
These are from page 83 of the Book of Vile darkness

Celestial spells require you to being an outsider with the good subtype
While archon spells require you to have the archon subtypes

These are from Book of Exalted deeds page 89 (there is even guardinal and eladrin as subtypes required i think)

Malphegor
2020-06-28, 08:55 AM
Be a spell to power erudite.

Spend a little extra points to ignore inconvenient things like that because psionics doesn’t use special components generally I recall.

High five your psicrystal buddy.

Anthrowhale
2020-06-28, 09:36 AM
So, demonic blood infusion (the spell) plausibly makes you count as Demon, and Fiend without an overt form change.

Kalkra
2020-06-28, 11:23 AM
A permanent magic item would work for some of those (the ones with durations).