PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dual Wielding Battlemaster build advice

Albert
2020-06-27, 06:54 PM
Hello all,

I'm wondering whether my character should take a strength ASI and cap it at 20 or take the Tough feat for more survivability at level 8.

I've got a level 7 Variant Human battlemaster with the following stats:

Str 18
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 8

70 health and 19 AC from plate and Dual Wielder feat for double longswords. I know it's not optimal to be a strength based dual wielder but hey it's what I wanted. I also took the Magic initiate feat for hunters mark in order to increase my dual wielding damage. The problem is that HM only really works on a single powerful foe since it's a bonus action to cast and eats up an attack to use, making it basically useless against numerous low hp mobs. A strength ASI would help mitigate my reduced hitting power in this regard and also increase the DC/hit for things like trip attack, riposte, menace etc.

The other option is to forget the ASI and take the Tough Feat, making my health at level 8 a wopping 95 on 19 AC. That seems crazy strong to me. It may also be good because our party is comprised of only myself and a swashbuckler as the frontline with a warlock and sorcerer in the backline. I'm just worried I won't be contributing much on the damage side of things.

Does anyone have any advice on the matter? Is extra hp going to be more beneficial than increased offensive power? Thanks.

CTurbo
2020-06-27, 10:31 PM
Well first of all How did you get Hunter's Mark through Magic Initiate? Ranger is not one of the options. Also, which cantrips did you take?

Now that that is out of the way, out of your 2 options, I would take +2 Str. Tough is an ok feat, but it's not ever something I'm going to take early on unless my Con is REALLY low for some reason.

What else are you planning to do with this character? Are you going to stay single class or multiclass? Are there any other feats you plan on taking?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 12:44 AM
See if you can trade out your Magic Initiate for an ASI or another feat, as you said Hunter's Mark isn't really all that useful, and as it's been pointed out Ranger spells aren't even eligible via that feat. If not, switch that choice to Warlock and learn Hex which basically does the same thing, in addition to picking up utility like Mage Hand and/or Prestidigitation and/or Minor Illusion, etc. Even trading that for Lucky is worthwhile, spending a feat for a 1/LR 1st level spell is just not worth it.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-28, 02:34 AM
I'd just recommend going Barbarian or Ranger for the dual wield, as either gets more on-hit bonuses than the Fighter, and play similarly enough to not have much of a change in playstyle.

CTurbo
2020-06-28, 03:37 AM
I've played a TWF two Longsword Fighter before and I maxed Str asap, but then I couldn't pass up taking some Barbarian levels.

According to RAW, you're really only eligible to multiclass into Barbarian or Rogue with those stats. If you really want more survivability, take +2 Str at level 8, then switch over to Barb.

As far as the Magic Initiate feat, unless the DM has houseruled you to take Hunter's Mark, I'd keep the feat but switch out the spell for something more useful like Find Familiar. Magic Initiate is still a great feat for Fighters who have nothing to offer the Exploration, Social, or Utility pillars of the game.

Keravath
2020-06-28, 10:31 AM
One other thing to keep in mind, with magic initiate you can only cast the spell ONE time each day. So if you take hunter's mark (not possible without a house rule) or hex you will only get one use though it does last an hour as long as you maintain concentration.

Vogie
2020-06-28, 10:47 PM
I'd actually pick up defensive duelist instead of Magic initiate, and exchange one of your longswords for a rapier - it does the same damage, but allows you to have another tanky maneuver that doesn't use up superiority dice.

Once you've gotten your Str up to 20 and your Con to 18, I'd grab Resilient:Wis. It's one of those that's really important for fighters (other than samurai, who get it for free at 7)