PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need a Rakdos Centaur tank

Ertwin
2020-06-28, 01:11 AM
I went and got myself killed, so I'm in need of a new character.

Two things have already locked in. they are a centaur, and are part of the Rakdos guild.

I don't really want to play an evil character, I'm leaning more to the hedonist side of Rakdos than the murder-hobo side.

A tank would be preferable, considering the rest of the party is lore bard, grave cleric, a rogue, Tome-lock, and a wizard.

We are level 3, possibly going to be 4, if the party got enough experience from my glorious death.

I prefer simple builds, and hate battlemaster with a fiery passion. I probably shouldn't be a rune knight to avoid similarities with my previous character.

micahaphone
2020-06-28, 02:04 AM
+2 str on a frontline character who is hedonistic and don't care? Sounds like Barbarians are the way to go. Wide variety of subclass options.

Personally I would could try to refluff ancestral guardians into something rakdos-y, maybe as a part of your attacks fireworks and paint are thrown about, making yourself into the ultimate distraction. Hell, maybe there's actual spirits or demons in the fire crackers.

Edit: if you preferred to be a caster, a strength cleric wouldn't be the worst fit, you'd just need to fit a rakdos mindset on top of it. Like maybe a tempest cleric who loves big flashy shows of lightning or something.

As far as the other wis caster, I can't figure out a good fit for any type of rakdos druid. Maybe a moon druid from selesneya or whatever who fell from grace and managed to slip into rakdos by doing animal transformation tricks in exchange for booze.

Ertwin
2020-06-28, 10:27 AM
I think I narrowed it down to either Battlerager, or Drunken Master.

My group doesn't have any optimized builds, so either should be viable, I'm just not sure which one I want.

Quietus
2020-06-28, 11:29 AM
I think I narrowed it down to either Battlerager, or Drunken Master.

My group doesn't have any optimized builds, so either should be viable, I'm just not sure which one I want.

Battlerager would be interesting, if you're allowed to take it as a non-dwarf, because you could grapple for extra damage, then run around with the target and kick them. The issue with being a tank as a centaur is you get less use from your natural weapon bonus attack; you work better as a striker than a tank. But if you can get your speed up to 60 (your 40 base, plus fast movement at 5th, would allow you to do this if you get Mobile) means you could grapple someone, then move 30 feet holding them in front of you. That satisfies the trigger that will allow you to bonus action hoof attack them; my wife plays a centaur barbarian who does a variation on this, and whenever she grapple-kicks someone like that, we just assume that she's pretty much grabbing some poor sap by the next and trampling them with her hooves while she's dragging them along.

Monk would allow you to do the same thing, but you already have bonus action unarmed strikes, so that's a moot point there. However, Monk does eventually let you run up walls, which negates your severe climbing penalty. And is also straight up *hilarious*.

Crucius
2020-06-28, 11:41 AM
Masochism is a top tier hedonism thing if you ask me. I agree with the battlerager pick. Running in for pain, dishing it out all the same.

Sparky McDibben
2020-06-28, 11:46 AM
If you're going for hedonism, what about intoxicant usage? Maybe their rage is actually a result of getting completely amped up on amphetamines and rushing the mosh pit.

Ertwin
2020-06-28, 05:59 PM
Ended up going Drunken Master, and rolled three 17s for abilities, so no MAD problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 07:07 PM
Here I was going to suggest War Cleric, it gets heavy armor and martial weapons and can benefit from the Wis bonus and the Rakdos Cultist expanded spell list. Plus with three 17's you can have Str 20, Con 18, Wis 18 at 4th level.

Littlemike137
2020-06-28, 09:03 PM
As was said above, a centaur monk would be both hilarious, a decent tank with unarmoured defense, if you can get stats high enough, and the ability to run up walls and such, as a horse, is just too funny to pass up. You could play it as some sort of epileptic spasming, allowing yourself horsy body todo things it really shouldn’t do. Also, I definitely want to use this idea at some point down the road.

Ertwin
2020-06-29, 11:12 PM
As was said above, a centaur monk would be both hilarious, a decent tank with unarmoured defense, if you can get stats high enough, and the ability to run up walls and such, as a horse, is just too funny to pass up. You could play it as some sort of epileptic spasming, allowing yourself horsy body todo things it really shouldn’t do. Also, I definitely want to use this idea at some point down the road.

Well at level 4 I have 18 to Dex, Con, and Wis. As a Drunken Master Monk, I ended up making her a contortionist, or as my DM put it a centaurtionist.

I also gave her "Dublin Lullaby" by Captain Tractor as her theme song.