PDA

View Full Version : Are there any ways to replace attack rolls with skill checks?

shaikujin
2020-06-28, 02:38 AM
Hello playgrounders,

Trying to find if there's anyway to do this.

I need a way to replace an attack roll with a skill check. It can be any skill, but it needs to be actually replacing the check rather than just giving a bonus.

Can be a spell, special weapon, feat, class ability, template, monster ability, anything.

TIA!

Nifft
2020-06-28, 02:40 AM
Check out the Diamond Mind discipline from Tome of Battle.

It's got several maneuvers which allow you to make a Concentration check in place of an attack roll.

shaikujin
2020-06-28, 02:55 AM
Check out the Diamond Mind discipline from Tome of Battle.

It's got several maneuvers which allow you to make a Concentration check in place of an attack roll.

Thanks, can you let me know which one?

I dbl checked, unlike for saving throws, for attacks, there are several maneuvers which requires a concentration check to grant extra effects to an attack, but all of them seem to mention having to making an actual attack roll as well. Am I reading it wrong?

martixy
2020-06-28, 04:13 AM

I dbl checked, unlike for saving throws, for attacks, there are several maneuvers which requires a concentration check to grant extra effects to an attack, but all of them seem to mention having to making an actual attack roll as well. Am I reading it wrong?

The Saphire Nightmare Blade one uses the concentration check to make the opponent flat-footed, potentially giving you an effective bonus to your attack roll. The nice part is, it's a 1st level maneuver, so can be acquired easily.

Apart from that you are actually correct, they don't modify the attack roll.

Nifft
2020-06-28, 11:12 AM

Ah, sorry about that.

I remembered using a skill check to make an attack-like roll, which was granting an extra effect but NOT replacing the actual attack roll.

Sorry for the misinformation.