PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Tail Spikes

YellowJohn
2020-06-28, 03:49 AM
Hey Playground
I have vague memories of a 'weapon' intended for use by dragons that attached to their tails and improved their tail slam in some way (making it piercing, improving the threat range), but I can't find the source...
Can the Playground Hive Mind point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation...

hamishspence
2020-06-28, 04:54 AM
Tail (weapons) from Savage Species (Tail Scythe, Tail Blade, Tail Club) might fit.

Asmotherion
2020-06-28, 05:40 AM
There are also rules when crafting magic items to craft them for an uncustomary body slot or no body slot.

If everything else fails, this should cover it, as, by the same rules, you can have a sword on your armwrist or even floating around you, as per the ioun stones.

Noxangelo
2020-06-28, 07:26 AM
Magical tail bands improved tail slam in either draconomicon or dragon magic

The Viscount
2020-06-28, 10:48 AM
Magical tail bands improved tail slam in either draconomicon or dragon magic

More specifically the tailbands of impact from Dragon Magic page 96, which improve the amount of your Str bonus applied by a half-step. Draconomicon's claws of the ripper increase the critical multiplier of claws.

Noxangelo
2020-06-29, 12:51 AM
More specifically the tailbands of impact from Dragon Magic page 96, which improve the amount of your Str bonus applied by a half-step. Draconomicon's claws of the ripper increase the critical multiplier of claws.

Thanks, was AFB :)

YellowJohn
2020-06-29, 06:22 AM
Ooh, Savage Species eh? I really should have checked there. After failing to find it in the Draconomicon I was sure it was Dragon Magazine content.

And good catch on the Tailbands of Impact.

Thank you everyone for your input :smallbiggrin:

YellowJohn
2020-06-29, 07:31 AM
On closer inspection, it turns out the Savage Species weapons weren't what I was looking for, but some more googling lead me to DragonDex, which lead me to Dragon 308 (I *KNEW* it was Dragon) - the Tail Blade, Hammer & Pick.
Deal damage as your regular Tail Slap, but the crit rating becomes 19-20/x2, x3 & x4 respectively - and they can be enchanted :smallsmile:

Really, I should just bookmark DragonDex :smallbiggrin:

Troacctid
2020-06-29, 09:14 AM
Oriental Adventures has ratling tail spikes, which are designed for nezumi use. They don't enhance a natural attack; instead, they allow you to make an extra attack with the tail spikes by taking a -2 penalty on all your attacks for the round, similar to TWF.

DrMotives
2020-06-29, 06:35 PM
Serpent Kingdoms also has a tail scythe.

Thurbane
2020-06-29, 11:53 PM
Surprisingly more tail weapons that I was previously aware of!