PDA

View Full Version : The best Necrosis feats

SangoProduction
2020-06-28, 06:12 AM
My complete and total review of every feat in SoP was nixed by the site. So, instead...I'll focus on the most interesting groups of feats in much smaller, not-multi-day-long ventures.

So, here's my ratings for the Necrosis feats from Spheres of Power. Each of them grants +1 spell point, meaning that the rest of the feat only technically needs to be worth half a feat in order to be worth taking. They also all have an upgrade once you have at least 4 necrosis feats (thus letting you either continue to scale by taking the final 2, or not). They also make you significantly harder to resurrect. Presumably something something soul, something something corruption. But that's just conspiracy theories.

So, with those caveats accounted for with all of them, let's get into it.

Ranking system:
(S) Super: You always want this. It's awesome.
(G) Good: You would certainly not complain about having this, especially in the right builds / situations.
(B) Bad: While perhaps better than nothing, you are giving up something for it, so probably shouldn't without a good reason.
(N) No.
<Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.

Numb Mind (<S>) Immediate action, gain bonuses vs saves to things that undead would normally be immune to for some rounds. Makes sense. If "Save or lose" effects like sleep or paralysis are even considered by your foes, this is a must take. Else it's cool.
Upgrade (<S>): Get a second roll against one of those affected saves. This is great, especially for save or loses, as you won't always have the luxury of rolling just low enough that the feat will save you with the bonus alone. If you get your DM to let you take the action to force another roll in any of the turns after you failed, so you can break out of your save or lose, this becomes absolute god tier in any game that features save or lose.

Between Two Worlds (<G-S>): If divine magic (and particularly positive/negative energy) is especially relevant in a game, getting to flip your polarity as an immediate action is really nice. It turns a damaging effect to a heal.
Upgrade (B-G): Meh. You can permanently set the normal effect of positive/negative energy as a full round action. I mean, if you know you're going to be going into the necromancer's crypt (and aren't bringing AoE positive energy of your own), then it could be cool. Not a high priority.

Wandering Spirit (<G-S>): There are two times when this is useful: Levels 1-2 and in super lethal games. It gives a buffer timer to let someone heal you before you pass on. If you are in neither situation, this is as useful as a salad at a BBQ.
Upgrade (<S>): Again, if you're in the above 2 situations, this is really nice. A perfect upgrade. Doesn't even put time pressure on returning you to life until combat's done.

Deadened Flesh (G): Immediate action for +1 Natural Armor and DR/- (both increasing by 1 per necrosis feat, for 1 round per necrosis feat. That means you can have someone just barely hit you, you activate it, and they just miss. And with more investment, it makes you harder to hit and damage for a few rounds.
Upgrade (S): Gain half the benefit at all times. I mean...That's at minimum a +2 to AC and -2 to all damage from attacks. Which is significantly better than Dodge, while only working on half a feat's budget.

Banshee's Sotto Voce (G): Makes it harder to gag you, and lets you project your voice out to medium range (which is freaking impressive). Also, when casting deathly magics, you may project your voice, giving them -2 to attack rolls against you if they fail the save against your magic. That's... a lot of small benefits.
Upgrade (B-G): Can control projection from close to long range. You can also spend a spell point to upgrade the attack penalty to a generic one rather than one vs you. Eh. You at least get to use this without alerting the entire freaking castle. Or you can alert the entire county if you so desire. I guess.

Inhuman Defiler (G?): I don't see Defiler feats as being particularly great. But hell, if you're doing both of these groups then do it. You'll be feat starved like no one else, but you can do it. I believe in you.
Upgrade (B): Compared to any other Necrosis feat, you're gaining only +1 net spell point once you hit 4 feats, which is 8 levels worth.

Deathknight’s Purchase (B-G) Spell point to add a small deal of temporary hit points, scaling with your necrosis feat count. Eh?
Upgrade (G-S): No longer spend spell points to do it. That's pretty good. And get to heal from it for a spell point. That's a serious step up. Only applicable if you're using deathly magics. But still.

Cold Heart (B): You can, as an immediate action to spend a spell point and gain 5 cold and electric resist per necrosis feat for 1 round per necrosis feat. That's really rather niche, and a small effect unless you take a bunch of necrosis feats (which is the point, but still).
Upgrade (G-S): Permanent 10 cold and electric resist. Improves the immediate action version to immunity. So it's a much larger effect, although still niche.

Hemomancy (<B>): This is such an incredibly niche benefit that is fairly insubstantial in 99% of all cases.
Upgrade (C): Rated C for cheese, as you can cause a creature to bleed, then summon a dome of stone around you, and simply plink away at your foe while being untouchable. Works even better if you have an ally that can cause a bunch of bleed, and carry you in a coffin on his back. Made of adamantine. Coated in riverine. And dipped in the blood of the gods.