PDA

View Full Version : How good is the sharding enhancement

Noxangelo
2020-06-28, 07:50 AM
I don't really do pathfinder, but this enhancement looks interesting. how good is it in pathfinder and how good would it be in 3.5?

also watch cool ways has anyone here used it or thought of using it?

Krazzman
2020-06-28, 08:18 AM
Last time I tried using it it wasn't great. I am not sure if it can be really really good, but the short range felt really restricting.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-28, 08:29 AM
It might help if it counted as a ranged weapon for the purposes of feats, weapon enhancements, and so on, but it doesn't say anything about that.

So what can you really do with it?

Psyren
2020-06-28, 12:58 PM
"Otherwise functions the same as the original weapon" will take some interpretation from your GM. The best case scenario is that this lets you use melee weapon properties (like vorpal) on the thrown duplicate. This isn't guaranteed though, and I'm not aware of anything particularly groundbreaking that results from it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-28, 01:04 PM
So... Could you maybe use it with ToB maneuvers, maybe? Being able to do melee stuff from range would be nice. Not that nice, given that reach does the same thing (and the range on sharding is crap), but still.

Krazzman
2020-06-28, 01:12 PM
So... Could you maybe use it with ToB maneuvers, maybe? Being able to do melee stuff from range would be nice. Not that nice, given that reach does the same thing (and the range on sharding is crap), but still.

If ToB is on the table it might be better to just use the Bloodstorm Blade PrC... I think.

Psyren
2020-06-28, 01:43 PM

You have to make a "special ranged attack" with the sharding weapon to use it. I don't think you can combine that with any other kind of attack, like a maneuver.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-28, 01:45 PM
If sharding specified that it worked as a thrown weapon when it benefits you, master thrower might work?

Zanos
2020-06-28, 10:10 PM
This doesn't seem great to me. It's still going to resolve as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, so it's got +dex to hit and +str to damage with a pretty pathetic range increment. It's also a +2 bonus so at minimum it's adding 16k to the cost of your weapon. I think I'd rather just find a source of flight if I was using a melee weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-29, 12:49 AM
Would sharding be better or worse than adding throwing and returning to a monk's unarmed strike?

Noxangelo
2020-06-29, 01:07 AM
Pity, seems cool on paper.

If you wanted to make it useful, what to do think would be a reasonable homebrew?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-29, 01:17 AM
Pity, seems cool on paper.

If you wanted to make it useful, what to do think would be a reasonable homebrew?For one thing, actually describing how it works is a good start. You can't really make any use at all for something so incredibly vague.

Basically, allow the sharding weapon to make melee attacks at a range of 50' (no range increment), but with perhaps a -2 penalty to hit for being awkward. It works exactly like making a melee attack, except effects that protect against ranged attacks (such as cover, concealment, and spells that affect ranged attacks) work against it.