PDA

View Full Version : Looking for optimized archer build please!

The Jamth
2020-06-28, 01:17 PM
Hi all!
In a previous post, I was looking to build a Grecian hero style character, using shield, spear, and sword. However, the builds I got (while AMAZING) were not the sources that my DM was willing to use for the first campaign she is running. Which is a fair assessment. Have to ease into the DM role IMO. With that said, I want to look into an archer build. I ask, if you feel inclined to assist me, to keep all sources as D&D 3.0/3.5. Character starts at 5th level. Stats haven't been rolled yet.

I am thinking of starting out with Scout (maybe going Deepwood sniper as a prestige) , but am willing and eager to see what the community says about an archer build and what path they can take.

Thank you all for your expertise and willingness to help!

TheCount
2020-06-28, 01:29 PM
first thing first.... what are the allowed sources?

The Jamth
2020-06-28, 01:36 PM
I have received clarification from my DM. All 3.0 and 3.5 books allowed, save for Pathfinder sources. The DM did state, however, that she reserves the right to reject any material she isn't comfortable with.

Nifft
2020-06-28, 01:38 PM
Cleric Archer is an archetype which I personally love.

It can be very powerful, and you can help the rest of your party shine & survive in addition to being powerful yourself.

el minster
2020-06-28, 01:48 PM
Swift Hunter!

Piggy Knowles
2020-06-28, 02:03 PM
It's pretty hard to go wrong with a Swift Hunter, as others have proposed. Simple, easy, effective. With Greater Manyshot (from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but it actually does not require any psionics at all), you can move and shoot out volleys of arrows that all benefit from skirmish. For even more movement options, add on Travel Devotion. A straightforward archery-based Swift Hunter with no fancy tricks would be something along the lines of:

1 Ranger1- Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Trackbonus
2 Ranger2- Rapid Shotbonus
3 Scout1- Travel Devotion
4 Scout2-
5 Scout3-
6 Ranger3- Swift Hunter, Endurancebonus
7 Ranger4-
8 Ranger5-
9 Ranger6- Manyshotbonus, Greater Manyshot
10 Scout4- Improved Skirmishbonus
11 Ranger7-
12 Ranger8- Travel Devotion
13 Ranger9-
14 Ranger10-
15 Ranger11- Improved Precise Shotbonus, Travel Devotion
16 Ranger12-
17 Ranger13-
18 Ranger14- Travel Devotion
19 Ranger15-
20 Ranger16-

If you want more complicated archery builds, I've got a ton, but swift hunter is a classic for a reason, and since you mentioned Scout it seems like a pretty good direction for you.

el minster
2020-06-28, 02:12 PM
also if you don't want to get Travel Devotion 3-4 times dip cleric for a level.

razorback
2020-06-28, 02:27 PM
Piggy Knowles, I like the build but why not start out scout instead of ranger for the extra skills?

The Jamth
2020-06-28, 02:32 PM
Piggy, that build is legit! I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that it isn't crazy obscure. I am curious, however, on if you have a build you can show of ridiculous massive jeebus damage. Or is this one a huge damage build with the skirmish additions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 03:07 PM
Since this is your DM's first campaign, you're probably better off not making something too complicated or too optimized. The build I suggested in your last thread is actually extremely tame.

Cleric Archer is probably the most powerful thing you can make, so don't do it.

Scout/Ranger with Swift Hunter is a lot more complicated than my previous suggestion if you do the Cleric dip for Travel Devotion, otherwise you'll wait until 9th level to be good at archery with Greater Manyshot.

For something that's going to be good when the game starts and remain decently good throughout the campaign, I'd go with a single-classed Ranger using two weapon style, wear Gloves of Endless Javelins in MIC, and take the feat Brutal Throw in Complete Adventurer. Use a race that has a strength bonus, like a Wood Elf (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#woodElf) in the MM (+2 Str and Dex, -2 Con and Int). Prioritize strength above all other stats, you'll be adding your Str bonus to damage on top of any favored enemy bonus, as well as your attack rolls thanks to Brutal Throw. You can ignore the Dex requirements of the two-weapon fighting feats thanks to Ranger. Your other feats need to include Point-Blank Shot and Far Shot, then Precise Shot and Rapid Shot. Consider also using the Trap Expert alternate class feature in Dungeonscape p12-13, which basically trades Track and Swift Tracker for Trapfinding and adding Disable Device as a class skill.

The Jamth
2020-06-28, 03:59 PM
So many great suggestions! I appreciate everything so far! I look forward to more. This campaign won't start for a while so I have plenty of time to peruse suggestions and advice.

You guys rock!!

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-06-28, 05:21 PM
I'll second the recommendation for Swift Hunter. One major advantage over regular Scout is that it can do precision damage to normally immune enemies if you chose those enemies as your Favored Enemies.

Another option is Bard. With the Dragonfire Inspiration feat you convert your Inspire Courage bonus into d6s of fire damage. Song of the Heart, Words of Creation, and the inspirational boost spell boost those numbers. It's more feat intensive, and your attack bonus will be worse, but your entire party gets the damage boost and you only have to worry about fire-immune enemies instead of most things immune to precision damage. And there's no range limit on the bonus damage. Pros and cons.

There are three strategies to qualify for Dragonfire Inspiration. The first is to be a dragontouched race; Silverbrow Human is usually the go-to here because they also get a bonus feat, but there are quite a few dragonblooded racial variants to choose from. This is what I'd recommend for simplicity's sake. Second, spend a feat on it: Dragontouched. Third, invest a class level into it. Dragonfire Adept 1 gives you the Dragontouched feat for free as well as a few other goodies (if you're willing to spend yet another feat, Entangling Exhalation is some truly fantastic crowd control). Sorcerer 1 qualifies you for Draconic Heritage, which lets you choose the damage type of your Dragonfire Inspiration (sonic is pretty flavorful for a Bard). Or you could get a bit weirder. One level of Half-Dragon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a) is essentially +1 LA (you don't get HP or skills from the level) for quite a few benefits. It doesn't actually qualify you for Dragonfire Inspiration on its own, but does let you change the damage type to that of your draconic ancestor, and you're much less likely to run into something resistant/immune to e.g. sonic damage than to run into something resistant/immune to fire damage.

EDIT: Actually, you don't even need Dragonfire Inspiration to make this viable. Your party will probably be just as happy to have a boosted bonus to attack and damage, which will also make up for your lower BAB.

Nifft
2020-06-28, 05:28 PM
Second, spend a feat on it: Dragonblooded. Third, invest a class level into it. Dragonfire Adept 1 gives you the Dragonblooded feat for free

The feat is Dragontouched, just FYI.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-06-28, 06:32 PM
The feat is Dragontouched, just FYI.

:headdesk:

Right you are! Fixed now.

el minster
2020-06-28, 06:59 PM
For a swift hunter good favored enemies are golems elementals and arcanists (make sure to put the necessary rank in knowledge [arcana)

bean illus
2020-06-28, 10:05 PM
Ok, I can show you an archer that shoots 50+ arrows a round at 18-20 x 4 crit, and rapid 5th level spell access. But you need 5 classes, Tome of Battle, and Dragon Mag. You can do almost as good without Dragon Mag.

I can help with a swift hunter with a big animal companion. Or one with extra feats. You'll trade a bab and about 1d6 damage or -1 AC for either.

Honestly, cloistered cleric is the easiest dip, but that opens up other stuff.

BAB is an issue, and if you dont grab GMS at 6th, you wait till 9th, so a lot depends on how far the campaign goes. Sometimes I grab bab +6 before dipping scout.

Another question is if your DM will let you retrain. For instance if you pick GMS or IPS at 6th or 11th, but gain them later in Ranger, can you retrain the feat?

So here's something archer, that isn't a swift hunter. It's only -1 bab, gets GMS and Travel Devo, IPS (and everything else) fast, extra arrows, wand use (lesser restoration), and steady power creep. It doesn't break new DMs, is easy to play, and is fun at level 5-10 in a mid powered game.

Human PBS
14 16 14 14 12 8

R1 FE Arcanist, PS
R 2 RS
F 1 Exotic Weapon (elven bowstaff)

F 2 FS
F 3
F 4 MS, GMS

B 1 Boar - Diehard, WhFr
CC Knowledge, XX = TD, War = WF,
OCh Know = WSp , XXX = RWM, WA

OCh 2, DH = DE
DwS 1 Keen, range +10/lvl
12 DwS 2 Magic weapon, imp range crit, IPS

Point blank shot
Precise shot
Rapid shot
EWP Bowstaff (never provokes AoO)
Far Shot
Manyshot
Greater Manyshot
Whirling Frenzy
Travel Devotion
War Domain - En
Weapon focus
Weapon Specialization
Ranged Weapon Mastery
Woodland Archer
Dead Eye
Keen
Improved ranged critical

*On the other hand, i prefer the Mystic Ranger. Archery without ranger spells is less fun, and harder above 10-12th level. Ranger is slow on spells, and scout slows it at least 3 levels, so ranger 6/ scout 3 gets about 1 spell ... and no Travel devotion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-29, 05:01 AM
If you want something different, I've always been partial to using artificer to craft spell storing aurorum arrows to fire on enemies, and merciful spell storing aurorum arrows to fire at allies. Use them to damage, debuff, heal, and buff foes and friends alike. I prefer using dye arrows (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrows-common/ammunition-bow-arrow-dye/) instead of regular arrows on allies, but...

So instead of using standard actions for healing, debuffing, etc, it's an attack action (boosted, of course, by the splitting enhancement, Rapid Shot, [Greater] Manyshot, etc). Much more efficient, especially at higher levels, especially given the ranges involved.

Piggy Knowles
2020-06-29, 09:50 AM
Piggy Knowles, I like the build but why not start out scout instead of ranger for the extra skills?

Ha, because of laziness. I took a TWF swift hunter build from my build folder, which needed to start with ranger in order to qualify for Weapon Finesse at level 1, and subbed in archery feats. If the OP is starting at level 5, going with scout first for better skills makes sense.

bean illus
2020-06-29, 10:16 AM

Ha, because of laziness. I took a TWF swift hunter build from my build folder, which needed to start with ranger in order to qualify for Weapon Finesse at level 1, and subbed in archery feats. If the OP is starting at level 5, going with scout first for better skills makes sense.

Because early BAB is important to archery builds. Both iterative attacks and to hit, as well as GMS at 6th instead of 9th are all considerations.

It depends on which levels played, but at levels 5-8 i might just go Ranger 6/ Cloistered 1.

Piggy Knowles
2020-06-29, 11:04 AM
Because early BAB is important to archery builds. Both iterative attacks and to hit, as well as GMS at 6th instead of 9th are all considerations.

It depends on which levels played, but at levels 5-8 i might just go Ranger 6/ Cloistered 1.

Without skirmish to boost damage, Greater Manyshot really isn't all that worthwhile. Consider that a ranger 6 with a +5 Dex bonus, +2 Strength bonus and +1 bow can Greater Manyshot to move and attack twice at a +9 bonus for 1d8+4 damage per shot (avg damage of 8.5, or 17 if both hit), while a scout 3/ranger 3 with the same stats and items can attack once at a +12 bonus for 1d8+4+2d6, (avg damage of 15.5, plus significantly more accurate and not reliant on both hitting for decent damage). The ranger might pull ahead against its favored enemies.

Instead, if you went this route, since the OP mentioned starting at ECL 5 I'd go with something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger 4 to open with and rely on moving and full attacking via Travel Devotion, and using Knowledge Devotion to drive bonus damage and boost your attack bonus. That would let you move and full attack right from the get-go (as opposed to waiting until ECL 6), with an equivalent bonus as Greater Manyshot but a nice damage boost from Knowledge Devotion early. I wouldn't bother with Greater Manyshot at all in that case, and I'd probably go into a decent archery prestige class like Deepwood Sniper for crit shenanigans or Peerless Archer for ranged power attack instead of staying straight ranger.

The damage will peter out in the higher levels, but it'll pull acceptable numbers for the ECL 5-10 range.

liquidformat
2020-06-29, 12:13 PM
For something that's going to be good when the game starts and remain decently good throughout the campaign, I'd go with a single-classed Ranger using two weapon style, wear Gloves of Endless Javelins in MIC, and take the feat Brutal Throw in Complete Adventurer. Use a race that has a strength bonus, like a Wood Elf (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#woodElf) in the MM (+2 Str and Dex, -2 Con and Int). Prioritize strength above all other stats, you'll be adding your Str bonus to damage on top of any favored enemy bonus, as well as your attack rolls thanks to Brutal Throw. You can ignore the Dex requirements of the two-weapon fighting feats thanks to Ranger. Your other feats need to include Point-Blank Shot and Far Shot, then Precise Shot and Rapid Shot. Consider also using the Trap Expert alternate class feature in Dungeonscape p12-13, which basically trades Track and Swift Tracker for Trapfinding and adding Disable Device as a class skill.
One great feat that helps a lot for this build is Tormtor School [Style] ( DotU, p. 57) requires Point blank shot, weapon focus (javelin) bab 6+, lets you use javs in melee with no penalty, added +1 damage to javs, and allows you to throw a jav as a swift action if you deal melee damage with it first.

On a side note if it is allowed Mystic Ranger from dragon mag gives spells starting at level 1, just going straight Mystic Ranger 14 is pretty powerful archer, adding in Knowledeg devotion, educated, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, and dark stalker are all great choices.

el minster
2020-06-29, 12:21 PM
Without skirmish to boost damage, Greater Manyshot really isn't all that worthwhile. Consider that a ranger 6 with a +5 Dex bonus, +2 Strength bonus and +1 bow can Greater Manyshot to move and attack twice at a +9 bonus for 1d8+4 damage per shot (avg damage of 8.5, or 17 if both hit), while a scout 3/ranger 3 with the same stats and items can attack once at a +12 bonus for 1d8+4+2d6, (avg damage of 15.5, plus significantly more accurate and not reliant on both hitting for decent damage). The ranger might pull ahead against its favored enemies.

Instead, if you went this route, since the OP mentioned starting at ECL 5 I'd go with something like Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger 4 to open with and rely on moving and full attacking via Travel Devotion, and using Knowledge Devotion to drive bonus damage and boost your attack bonus. That would let you move and full attack right from the get-go (as opposed to waiting until ECL 6), with an equivalent bonus as Greater Manyshot but a nice damage boost from Knowledge Devotion early. I wouldn't bother with Greater Manyshot at all in that case, and I'd probably go into a decent archery prestige class like Deepwood Sniper for crit shenanigans or Peerless Archer for ranged power attack instead of staying straight ranger.

The damage will peter out in the higher levels, but it'll pull acceptable numbers for the ECL 5-10 range.

Against favored enemies they get the same bonus because with the swift hunter feat scout and ranger levels stack to determine favored enemies.

Piggy Knowles
2020-06-29, 12:26 PM
Against favored enemies they get the same bonus because with the swift hunter feat scout and ranger levels stack to determine favored enemies.

Sorry, wasn't clear. The ranger with earlier access to Greater Manyshot might pull ahead against favored enemies in the ECL 6-8 range because of the extra attack. The more damage you stack on each attack, the more an extra attack matters more than getting skirmish damage.

bean illus
2020-06-29, 01:10 PM

IF you're within 30', and IF you travel 10', and IF your opponent suffers skirmish damage, and IF you don't have damage riders or bonuses, then yes you're right.
But a BAB +6 gets 3 shots with GMS at level 6, while a Cloistered 1/ Ranger 4 has 1 shot till 7th and only 2 till 9th, and that's worth considering. It depends on how far the build goes.

For DWS you'll need far shot, and PBS. You won't be able to afford Precise shot, and IPS will be delayed. So there's that. Peerless Archer is a trap.

Piggy Knowles
2020-06-29, 01:22 PM
You don't get three shots with Greater Manyshot until BAB +11, and you need to be within 30' to Manyshot anyhow, so there's not really a difference there. Outside of 30' both builds are either moving and making a single shot or staying still and full attacking, so the only notable difference will be at ECL 6 when the ranger has an iterative and the swift hunter doesn't.

EDIT: To be clear, here's what the scenarios look like realistically.

A straight ranger in the ECL 6-8 range with Manyshot/Greater Manyshot will likely look at the following scenarios:

1. Full attack (regardless of whether you are within 30' or not; this is pretty much always preferred for the straight ranger).
2. If within 30', move and Greater Manyshot for two attacks.
3. If not within 30' and can't full attack, move and make a single attack.

A scout/ranger will have three similar scenarios:

1. Full attack (always the best option when not within 30', sometimes a better option when within 30' if either movement is inadvisable or you have lots of other bonuses from things like FE and the collision enhancement).
2. If within 30', move and make a single attack + skirmish damage (generally the preferred option).
3. If not within 30' and can't full attack, move and make a single attack, no skirmish.

Option 1 is going to be better for the full BAB ranger at ECL 6, but otherwise will be roughly the same.

Option 2 tends to favor the scout/swift hunter against most foes, though there are some scenarios where the ranger version will be better.

Option 3 is basically the same for both builds.

I picked the ECL 6-8 range because prior to ECL 6, I think the ranger doesn't really have a clear advantage over the swift hunter, and at ECL 9 the swift hunter picks up Greater Manyshot itself, plus Improved Skirmish shortly thereafter, and starts to pull away a bit. I'd argue that the straight ranger is a little bit better right at ECL 6, but the swift hunter catches up at ECLs 7 and 8 and pulls away at 9+.

But yeah, this is all very fiddly considering that there won't be a terribly dramatic difference between the two builds. Both are decent options for that ECL range.

DOUBLE EDIT: And yeah, can't argue with mystic ranger. If Dragon Magazine content is on the table, it's a fantastic option.

bean illus
2020-06-29, 01:32 PM
You don't get three shots with Greater Manyshot until BAB +11, and you need to be within 30' to Manyshot anyhow, so there's not really a difference there. Outside of 30' both builds are either moving and making a single shot or staying still and full attacking, so the only notable difference will be at ECL 6 when the ranger has an iterative and the swift hunter doesn't.

Of course, you're right on both counts for GMS. No excuse for forgetting that. But GMS is better than Manyshot, and you don't get that till 9th with CC at 1st.

I'm not comparing full build either, just 6th-9th. Mystic Ranger's where it's at.

liquidformat
2020-06-29, 01:41 PM
Of course, you're right on both counts for GMS. No excuse for forgetting that. But GMS is better than Manyshot, and you don't get that till 9th with CC at 1st.

I'm not comparing full build either, just 6th-9th. Mystic Ranger's where it's at.

I would agree Mystic Ranger is a better less complex choice, especially if you add in Knowledge Devotion and more so if you add educated on top of that. Heck you could dip a level of wizard and add in sword of arcane order and two levels of arcane archer for giggles if you want...

el minster
2020-06-29, 01:46 PM
Does Mystic Ranger work with Swift Hunter?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-29, 02:15 PM
I would agree Mystic Ranger is a better less complex choice, especially if you add in Knowledge Devotion and more so if you add educated on top of that. Heck you could dip a level of wizard and add in sword of arcane order and two levels of arcane archer for giggles if you want...

If you want Sword of the Arcane Order, use Frostblood Half-Orc in RotD. They get Endurance as a racial bonus feat, which also says if they would later gain Endurance they can replace the redundant instance of it with any feat they qualify for. Mystic Ranger gets Endurance at the 4th level, and you need Ranger 4 to take SotAO, so that effectively gets you that as a bonus feat at the exact level you'd be able to qualify for it. You can also use the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races variant in RoD p150 to count as a human and a half-orc instead of as an orc and a half-orc, and take Magical Training in PGtF for a spellbook that you can add more spells to (per the Rules Compendium). A Frostblood Half-Orc can also pick Endurance as a Scout bonus feat, then replace it with any feat he qualifies for, thus ignoring the limited list of Scout bonus feat choices.

Also, don't go recommending Arcane Archer to newer players, it's just cruel.

liquidformat
2020-06-29, 03:23 PM
Also, don't go recommending Arcane Archer to newer players, it's just cruel.

It is cruel in general if you go anything but 2 levels in it...

Railak
2020-07-01, 09:28 AM
Depends on if you want to do more than just sheet the bow. If you just want to shoot the bow and not care about other abilities the fighter is a very simple and effective path. All the various feats that can be used to up attack and damage. If you like abilities definitely don't go fighter.

liquidformat
2020-07-01, 10:01 AM
Depends on if you want to do more than just sheet the bow. If you just want to shoot the bow and not care about other abilities the fighter is a very simple and effective path. All the various feats that can be used to up attack and damage. If you like abilities definitely don't go fighter.

Fighter archer is a pretty good choice though it always bugs me that they don't have spot, hide, or move silently. Maybe talk to your dm and see if he would be willing to alter Guerilla Scout and Guerilla Warrior feats to make Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot fighter skills rather than just reducing the cost. It isn't much of a change and makes the feats actually worth taking. It is also worth talking to your dm and seeing if they are willing to let you take 3.0 version of Order of the Bow Initiate as it is actually good compared to the 3.5 version that is quite bad. If your DM is ok with that I would suggest the following build: Wood Elf Cloistered Cleric/Fighter 1-6/Order of the Bow Initiate 1/ Peerless Archer 1-3/Order of the Bow Initiate 2-10/Peerless Archer 4, finishing off the build taking the 4th level of Peerless archer is pretty good since it nets more sneak attack but taking something else doesn't hurt either. Taking a one level dip of cloistered cleric at the front end is a pretty awesome choice, you can get elf, Time, and Knowledge domains which net you Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, and Knowledge devotion.

Gruftzwerg
2020-07-02, 12:24 AM
Does Archer mean bows only or ranged builds in general?

If it is the latter, I could recommend one of my (signature) builds. Either with crossbows (El Mariachi) or with thrown weapons with Bloodstrorm Blade (ShurikeNado, Hammerdin of Moradin).

The Jamth
2020-07-04, 09:04 PM
If you want something different, I've always been partial to using artificer to craft spell storing aurorum arrows to fire on enemies, and merciful spell storing aurorum arrows to fire at allies. Use them to damage, debuff, heal, and buff foes and friends alike. I prefer using dye arrows instead of regular arrows on allies, but...

So instead of using standard actions for healing, debuffing, etc, it's an attack action (boosted, of course, by the splitting enhancement, Rapid Shot, [Greater] Manyshot, etc). Much more efficient, especially at higher levels, especially given the ranges involved.

MaxiDuRarity, I am SUPER interested in this build. It took me some time to fully wrap my head around what you were saying. May I ask you to elaborate your build and what sources I will need to look for? And is this a pure artificer? Or just a quick dip? Do I need to spend some skill points into alchemy at all?

Basically, your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more. :-D

The Jamth
2020-07-04, 09:06 PM
Does Archer mean bows only or ranged builds in general?

If it is the latter, I could recommend one of my (signature) builds. Either with crossbows (El Mariachi) or with thrown weapons with Bloodstrorm Blade (ShurikeNado, Hammerdin of Moradin).

Gruftzwerg, I looked into your builds, and I fully plan to borrow (with permission) the Hammerdin build. That looked so fun!

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-04, 09:49 PM
MaxiDuRarity, I am SUPER interested in this build. It took me some time to fully wrap my head around what you were saying. May I ask you to elaborate your build and what sources I will need to look for? And is this a pure artificer? Or just a quick dip? Do I need to spend some skill points into alchemy at all?

Basically, your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more. :-DAbout the only thing you really need to ask your DM for is the dye arrows, which are linked in the above post, unless there are specific things you want that normally wouldn't be allowed, such as taking warforged for your race. (Penalties to Dex but automatically have Max Dex-less and ACP-less armor and works great with artificer.) Dragonborn warforged is another option, as are gray or fire elf (with both Dex and all of the racial feats to swap out; see below), RotD kobold (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) (also with feats), and human and strongheart halfling (for the bonus feat and either skill points or bonus to Dex, respectively).

You already get all the crafting feats you need from artificer, and single-classing it up is perfectly fine, given how crazy-good artificers are.

Basically, artificer 20. Get lots of spare ranged feats (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?206315-3-X-PF-Things-That-Grant-Feats), as well as any other feats that look good to you. Also note that Shield Proficiency (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#shieldProficiency) and the Armor (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#armorProficiencyLight) Proficiency (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#armorProficiencyMedium) feats (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#armorProficiencyHeavy) give themselves to every class but the ones specifically excluded, so feel free to exchange those for other feats via the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?119456-What-is-a-quot-Chaos-Shuffle-quot) once you get access to level 8 spellcasting (preferably via buying spellcasting services).

Focus on making lots of ranged attack rolls (via Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, haste, divine power, the splitting enhancement, and so on). Also, the Far Shot feat.

Feel free to ride a mount, (or a mount) as well, to keep you mobile while you shoot.

Beyond that, it's not so much a specific build as a character concept. The really important stuff is your equipment, since you'll be a crafter.

An enveloping pit (a super cheap 50' x 10' x 10' portable hole from the MIC) with a dedicated wright (crafting homunculus from the Eberron Campaign Setting) in it will allow you to craft even while adventuring. Putting points in Craft (Alchemy) will let your dedicated wright make alchemical items in the 16 hours per day it's not crafting magic items. Make sure to buy a masterwork alchemy lab to store inside of it, too.

Your armor will be whatever you'd normally get for your archers (mithril chain shirt for a Dex build or heavier armor for a Wis + Zen Archery or Int/Cha/etc-based build -- check the X-Stat-to-Y-Bonus thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) for more details on this; alternatively, magically enhance your [non-dragonborn] warforged body plating, if appropriate).

Your weapons... Well, aurorum spell storing arrows, of course, since you can implant the spells you want into them, then rebuild and reuse the arrows themselves after each battle. You probably will end up losing some during times when you can't stick around (such as during a running battle), so perhaps get yourself a few raptor arrows (from the Magic Item Compendium) to fire when you need the returning and/or bane properties.

You'll want the most multipurpose weapons you can get. A +1 elvencraft (RotW) aptitude (ToB)/morphing/sizing/splitting/distance bow of the wintermoon (MIC) would be pretty fantastic, since you can enhance it however you want, then turn it into whatever you want, both as a melee weapon and as a ranged weapon. It's a double-ended quarterstaff/longbow, so toss in whatever enhancements you want for each of them. (The aptitude ability allows you to use your weapon-based feats no matter what form the weapon itself takes.) Add wand chambers to each so you don't have to draw wands you need and can instead fire them from your weapon.

Check out the weapon augment crystals in the MIC. Note that you can get +1d6 energy damage of various types, ghost touch, etc using the lesser and least crystals. Also note that the MIC has rules (as opposed to the DMG's guidelines) for stacking multiple item abilities onto a single item. In short, take the most expensive item ability, then add all the other abilities you want at a +50% markup for each. Stack all the (extremely cheap) weapon crystal abilities you want onto a single weapon crystal that you then attach to your weapon. You not only get a considerable number of weapon abilities for cheap, but you free up your weapon enhancements for fun stuff like splitting and distance instead of flat damage.

For more unusual situations, check out different types of weapons for ranged combat. The MM3's sand (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?415149-Sand-Blaster-MM3&p=19259020) blaster (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) is a nice one. Check out what you can do with the weapon abilities listed later in the threads.

The gnome calculus (Arms & Equipment Guide) will work well with your alchemical items, since it works similarly to a sling, but it uses alchemical vials and similar as ammo, giving them a significantly larger range increment, and it adds weapon special abilities to them (as ranged weapons are wont to do).

So, yeah. This gets pretty interesting pretty quickly.

Soranar
2020-07-05, 10:10 AM
There's a fairly simple archer build that works well

Race: Raptoran (though a Dragonborn of bahamut water orc with wings would be good too)

Alternate class features

Whirling frenzy barbarian : your rage gives you +1 attack
Eagle totem barbarian : trade fast movement for +4 to spot and search (or you can trade it for pounce if you prefer having a melee backup option)
Wolf Totem manifestation : trade DR for +2 to survival and track
Trapkiller: use survival to find traps, attack to destroy them

Key items:

-Raptoran footbow (you use 1 1/2 your STR for you damage), you need to take the exotic weapon proficiency if you're not a raptoran
-Hank's energy bow enchantment (gives you force arrows that pierce any DR and lets you use power shot)

STATS:
STR Main
DEX 2nd highest
CON 3rd highest
INT 4th
WIS 5th
CHA dump

Strategy : take rapid shot, combine it with whirling frenzy and use the hover feat

at level 5 you have 3 attacks

each deal 1d8+ 1.5 STR
Rage gives you +3 damage (+4 STR)

Assuming you max out STR, you have
+4 (rage)
+4 (magic item)
= 26 STR which gives you +12 to damage with a footbow so 3 attacks at 1d8+12

A non raging archer using a regular composite bow might get +5 (16 STR, +4 from a magic item) for 1d8+5
with skirmish, you get 1d6 extra damage (or 3.5) so you might get + 7 at 2d6 (assuming you can trigger skirmish and it works against what you're facing) but you don't get the extra attack from raging

so instead of having 3 attacks at 1d8 + 12 at any range
you get 2 attacks at 1d8+5+2d6 skirmish

Hover lets you fly in place so you can potentially fly out of range and shoot people
For extra damage, combine this with the plunging shot feat (since you fly it should always trigger)
For even more damage, consider taking the shape soulmeld feat and use the sighting gloves soulmeld for a bit more damage

You get a ton of uses out of survival and your chassis is excellent (d12 hitpoints, Full BAB). If you use a bowstaff your weapon is a great backup melee considering your STR rating
And if you don't mind the cheese, a dragonborn water orc gets even more damage

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-05, 11:53 AM
Race: Raptoran (though a Dragonborn of bahamut water orc with wings would be good too)You just had to make a water wings joke, didn't you.

[edit] I just made a post the OP might be interested in here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?615285-Let-s-Have-Fun-With-the-Gnome-Calculus!&p=24597241#post24597241) for the gnome calculus.