PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help making a Character for 5e PvP one-shot!

Nevermor3
2020-06-28, 08:02 PM
So the idea is that a bunch of player (max. 8) make characters for a one-shot that involves a boss fight and ends in a battle royale. The characters are level 20 and have access to 4 magical items of rare or lower quality. I've played once so far and managed to pick up the win with a monster barbarian build. I was thinking of doing an Eldritch knight next. It think it would be cool casting haste on myself and just murdering people or just getting greater invis. But I wanted some feed back on how to best optimize him (especially against high-level casters). I rolled for stats and got a 18, 16, 15, 14, 9, 9. If you have other build I would be interested in hearing those out as well. I was trying to think of a Bladesinger build with Foresight and Haste but I want to mainly focus on Melee combat. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-28, 09:45 PM
Half-Elf, Warlock (Hexblade) 1/ Paladin (Ancients) 7/ Sorcerer (Gold Dragon) 12, Paladin at 1st level. Str 9+1, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9+1, Wis 15, Cha 18+2, get Elven Accuracy for +1 Wis, Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, and Elemental Adept: Fire. This is assuming you can take one hand off your two-handed weapon to cast a spell, if not get Warcaster instead of Elemental Adept.

Warlock spells known should include Hellish Rebuke and probably Armor of Agathys, Sorcerer spells need to include Greater Invisibility which takes concentration, so pick non-concentration spells for the rest. Get Counterspell, Dispel Magic, and Fireball for sure, Sickening Radiance is good, Blindness/Deafness is amazing especially with Twin Spell or Heighten Spell, Mirror Image as well even though you're invisible, and get Shield and Magic Missile. Paladin spells can include Misty Step, Ensnaring Strike is actually decent, Lesser Restoration and Cure Wounds just in case, even Protection from Poison if you're able to pre-buff, and Command is sure to come in handy. Be sure to get Quicken Spell so you can use that with one of your buffs or self-fixing spells without sacrificing your attack action. I'd get Heighten and Empower for your other two, save the disables/debuffs for when it gets down to a few people.

Basic equipment would be a +2 Halberd or Glaive, +1 Adamantine Half Plate, Boots of Speed, and probably a Ring of Spell Storing which you've already loaded with some spells. A Daern's Instant Fortress deals 10d10 damage (Dex save half) when it expands and it provides decent protection if someone hides out in it. It's really only good for a ranged attacker, but be aware that this may come up. I'd expect something like that to draw a huge target on the person using it.

The idea is to use Greater Invisibility to get advantage on your attacks, Elven Accuracy to really make sure you hit, and Great Weapon Master plus Polearm Master plus Divine Smite to really knock them around. Conserve your higher level spell slots for a Divine Smite on a critical hit, or a huge Hellish Rebuke or even a huge (quickened) Armor of Agathys.

CTurbo
2020-06-28, 10:06 PM
I'll go ahead and be the first of 900 posts saying level 20 Moon Druid, but if that's too cliche, predictable, and boring, I say try a level 20 Paladin. Oath of Conquest would be fun. Level 20 Long Death Monk with Mage Slayer would be a ton of fun too.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2020-06-29, 01:35 AM
My personal choice would be an Azorius Ancients Paladin.]With those stats a half orc would be nearly perfect.

20(+10), 9(+4), 16(+14), 9(+4), 16(+14), 20(+15) Parenthesis are the saving throws at level 20
You have advantage on spell saves and resistance to their damage. with those saving throw bonuses most times you'll be quartering the damage against you. On top of that when you have your elder champion active your enemies have disadvantage on saving throws near you and you cast all your spells as a bonus action. Now for the most part this is kinda meh as paladins don't have great save or suck spells. So we grab the azorius background which gives Command, Hold Person, Counterspell, and Dominate Person.
Command the wizard to drop their spell focus.
Hold person followed by 2 Crit 4th level smites. Assuming a Greataxe that is (3d12+12d8+5)*2 or ~140 damage.
Dominate person on a barbarian, tell him to go hunt the puny wizard, or the person who he's allied with.
As an ancients paladin you also have death ward. So cast that. Drop to 0 Death ward, again undying sentinel, and again relentless endurance.

I honestly forgot about magic items til right here.

+2 Weapon
Belt of dwarvenkind (20 hp)
Ring of free action
Boots of speed or winged boots.

follacchioso
2020-06-29, 08:16 AM
Lore Bard 19 / Storm Sorcerer 1

Combine Telekinesis (Magical Secrets) with Glibness to restrain your opponents and unequip them of their precious magic items. Telekinesis is a contested ability check, and Jack of All Trades allows you to add half your proficency bonus; so you will roll a +8. With glibness, you will roll a minimum of 15+8=23. So, you can easily restrain any opponent with strength < 16.

Add Simulacrum and Programmed Illusion to confuse your enemies. They will see three bards instead of one.

You also need Fly and/or Greater Steed, Greater Invisibility, Counterspell, and Forcecage. If you can get an item to fly or be invisible without concentration, much better. Being invisible make you much more difficult to target to many spells and magical effects.

Sorcerer 1 for Shield, Telekinesis and Bonus Action fly to escape from grapples.