PDA

View Full Version : Occult Slayer

Erk
2007-10-28, 05:24 PM
I was interested in making a nonmagic mage-hunter character NPC for my game. I was looking at the occult slayer PrC, but it appears to me to be incredibly pale. I mean, we're talking about someone who is built to target batman and the codzilla, and he gets... +3 to saves on magic? +1d6 damage against spellcasters? Nondetection as cast by a fifth level caster (admittedly, constant-effect) DC16, so any spellcaster of 15th level or higher doesn't even need to roll, and of course a 10th level (equal level) caster only needs to roll a 5...? two spellturning chances a day? And he loses his good fort save and hit die for these privileges. Any mage of equal level should make total mincemeat of this "slayer", as they have far more than two spells per day and the slayer has very few real spell resistances besides vs. mind affecting spells (that seems to be the only worthwile ability of the class).

Can anyone defend this class or should I homebrew my own instead? Just curious to hear peoples' thoughts. I want a fairly simple NPC, definitely not gish, probably just ftr5/(antimagic prc of some kind). This is not the BBEG, so nothing complex if you wanna suggest builds.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-28, 05:26 PM
Try witch slayer, from Tome of Magic. It seems to do the job much better than occult.

Anxe
2007-10-28, 10:06 PM
In the old 3.0 splat books there was a better class called Forsaken, but it still sucked at everything. You're better off homebrewing something.