PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous build:help building a Slugterra style shooter in DND

moonfly7
2020-06-29, 07:46 AM
Just a bit of fun I thought we could mess with, how would you go about building a character who could shoot various superpowered slugs out of a gun in DND? Probably gonna wanna use some kind of gunslinger to actually get guns. Maybe spells for the slugs?

Alucard89
2020-06-29, 08:40 AM
I am not sure if I follow the idea correctly but there is a OP build that can shoot magic-infused shots that can deal tons of NOVA damage, though it's not "spammable"

So the build basic:

1 Fighter/X Hexblade Warlock.

Feats: Crossbow Expert, Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter.
Archery Fighting Style for +2 to hit.

So the build revolves around using Pact Hand Crossbow + Darkness Devil's Sight combo/Shadow Of Moil to give your self advantage + Curse target for 19-20 crit range and bonus damage.

So you shoot 3x per turn with triple d20 (EA), 19-20 crit range and if you crit you use Eldricht Smite (it works on range attacks) to add Nova damage to your shot for up to 12d8 extra damage. And you do that from 120 feet range and ignore up to 3/4 cover.

Your normal damage is 3x (1d6 + Curse + 10 + 4) per turn.

The more slots you get as Warlock the more Smites you can make per encounter. It starts to really kick when you have 3+ slots per short rest.

That's the closet I can think of from official materials.

moonfly7
2020-06-29, 10:08 AM
I am not sure if I follow the idea correctly but there is a OP build that can shoot magic-infused shots that can deal tons of NOVA damage, though it's not "spammable"

So the build basic:

1 Fighter/X Hexblade Warlock.

Feats: Crossbow Expert, Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter.
Archery Fighting Style for +2 to hit.

So the build revolves around using Pact Hand Crossbow + Darkness Devil's Sight combo/Shadow Of Moil to give your self advantage + Curse target for 19-20 crit range and bonus damage.

So you shoot 3x per turn with triple d20 (EA), 19-20 crit range and if you crit you use Eldricht Smite (it works on range attacks) to add Nova damage to your shot for up to 12d8 extra damage. And you do that from 120 feet range and ignore up to 3/4 cover.

Your normal damage is 3x (1d6 + Curse + 10 + 4) per turn.

The more slots you get as Warlock the more Smites you can make per encounter. It starts to really kick when you have 3+ slots per short rest.

That's the closet I can think of from official materials.
The idea is to mimic a TV show called Slugterra. From Disney XD I think. Mostly just a for laughs build.

Terebin
2020-06-29, 04:43 PM
I would probably do a straight up artificer. Crossbow reflavored as a slugun, stick the infusion of your choice on it so you can use it as a spell casting focus, pick spells as your slug effects.

Quietus
2020-06-30, 09:04 AM
I would probably do a straight up artificer. Crossbow reflavored as a slugun, stick the infusion of your choice on it so you can use it as a spell casting focus, pick spells as your slug effects.

This is definitely the easiest way to do it. The alternative is running sorcerer or wizard and just declare that your arcane focus is a slugun. I'm not familiar with the source familiar, but if the slugs in question only provide a relatively small variety of effects, I'd definitely go sorcerer. The Charisma focus allows you to get more of an anime protagonist vibe.

Bloodcloud
2020-06-30, 10:05 AM
Arcane archer is basically that, in a way. Reflavor the bow as a gun and there you go.

Warlock, again flavoring your eblast as coming from a gun, works fine (just shape your arcane focus as one basically). Same with spell, they are now your special gun ammo.