PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Cantrips

ChaseC311
2020-06-29, 09:08 PM
Currently I play a level 4 Star druid, and as a more generalized circle in terms of how it contributes to the druid as a whole, I decided to make my spell list a more "Jack of All Trades", so he can fill any role needed but not be the best at what he does (to avoid stepping on toes of the other druids, plural, and clerics, plural)

Since hes level 4, he has 3 cantrips, and with a 20 Wisdom: 9 spells, so splitting the spells into 3 groups (Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer) he should have 1 cantrip and 3 spells for each group

For the damage dealing cantrip: Primal Savagery, easy question due to the high damage dice that scales as you reach certain levels

For the tank cantrip: I was thinking either Thorn Whip or Mold Earth. Thorn whip provides moderate damage while also pulling enemies away from allies who may not want them in close range (like if the sorcerers at half health, or if the druids concentrating on a spell), and on the other hand, Mold Earth could theoretically grant cover for allies while also potentially partially trapping any enemy of Medium or smaller sizes within the 5ft³ excavation site

And for the healing cantrip: Theres no healing cantrips, so something along the lines of support/utility could fit the role. I was thinking Guidance?

Then it comes to spells, although I already have some ideas on which spells ill pick, Any reccomendations would be welcome. I just wished to know if the cantrips I had picked would be viable options.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling and clarified the size categories of creatures who could be trapped by Mold Earth

Nifft
2020-06-29, 09:35 PM
Mold Earth and Shape Water are both great. Definitely take one of them. (Shape Water is useful generally because you can make ice sculptures.)

In addition to Primal Savagery, you might want a ranged attack cantrip -- Thorn Whip if you want to be in melee, Create Bonfire or Frostbite if you don't.

nickl_2000
2020-06-30, 06:59 AM
First thing, as a Druid I would never, ever take create bonfire. Most of the Druids best spells are concentration based, so have a damage dealing cantrip that is concentration is probably a no go.

As a low level Druid personally I would take Guidance, Mold Earth, Produce Flame, and Primal Savagery/Shape Water/Gust.

Guidance is absolutely amazing as a support spell outside of combat. Your team will adore you for having it.
Mold Earth is good out of combat, setting up a battlefield, creating rough terrain, and others
Produce Flame is for ranged damage dealing and can produce light for the party

The last one is where it is harder. Primal Savagery is for melee damage, Shape Water for OOC utility, Gust can be good for tanking and out of combat.

When it comes to leveled spells you should always have healing word prepared. Other than that, I would have a decent idea of all your spells so that you can prepare for each day with what fits best.

follacchioso
2020-06-30, 07:50 AM
As a druid you will have very few ranged options. Only a bunch wildshape forms have ranged attacks. Anybody with a flying speed or ranged attacks will give you an hard time, even with the HPs from the wildshapes.

Produce Flame is an option to reduce that, even though the range is only 30'. As a bonus, you will have a free torch everywhere.