PDA

View Full Version : Legends of GitP 5e Game

BurgerBeast
2020-06-29, 09:46 PM
It seems like these unprecedented times have presented a unique opportunity to set up an online game using a VTT. Based on forum comments, who would your “dream team” of four PCs and a DM be, selected from among the GitP regulars, to watch a streamed game of D&D?

Note that I have no actual plans to set a game up, it’s just a thought exercise.

Here are my votes:

DM: Tanarii

Players: Segev, mgshamster, Man Over Game, Kryx (sp?)

JNAProductions
2020-06-29, 10:02 PM
2d8HP might not be a player, but he should definitely feature at some point.

Kane0
2020-06-30, 12:54 AM
Better yet, two parties of GitP regulars with a common DM and co-DM, plus cameos!

Zhorn
2020-06-30, 06:17 AM
No self pick are there?

Becasue as a DM, I'd love to have an IRL game with
Tanarii, JNAProductions, Segev, & Quietus as my players

If it's just for watching... I may need to think a while before making an answer... so many choices

KorvinStarmast
2020-06-30, 07:19 AM
I want Malifice as the DM (sorry to see that he's under a ban at the moment)

Players: 2d8HP, Ninja Prawn, Tanarii, Sigreid, me, and our "always a dwarf" poster whose name I need to go and find again. Have not seen him lately; he's real old school.

Yes, I am being totally selfish.

I'd also like to play with Willie the Duck, Pex, Max Wilson ... heck, most of you would be great to play with at table.

Glen Smash, Unoriginal, the list goes on and on ...

No brains
2020-06-30, 07:40 AM
I appreciate jaappleton's posts. I'd be curious to see how they run a character.

Quietus
2020-06-30, 08:41 AM
No self pick are there?

Becasue as a DM, I'd love to have an IRL game with
Tanarii, JNAProductions, Segev, & Quietus as my players

If it's just for watching... I may need to think a while before making an answer... so many choices

I made someone's list? :smalleek: I am honored and humbled!

Me personally, I'm not sure who I would want to see - there are honestly so many excellent people on the forum, but I've never considered who I think would be more fun to watch game. If anything, I'm pretty greedy and would probably want to see a Westmarches style game with a rotating cast and multiple DMs. But, you know, that's definitely cheating.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-30, 09:08 AM
It seems like these unprecedented times have presented a unique opportunity to set up an online game using a VTT. Based on forum comments, who would your “dream team” of four PCs and a DM be, selected from among the GitP regulars, to watch a streamed game of D&D?

Note that I have no actual plans to set a game up, it’s just a thought exercise.

Here are my votes:

Players: Segev, mgshamster, Man Over Game, Kryx (sp?)

You're awesome, BurgerBeast. Appreciate you, man!

For me, I'd have to include Tawmis and Molemage. Both work hard to contribute to this community, more than most, and I couldn't wait to see that same ethic at a table. Bjarkmundur isn't around anymore, but he was sensible, earnest, hard to disagree with, a natural Paladin without the obnoxious "I know better than you" negativity. And even though MaxWilson and I have sometimes butt heads on stuff, he's always been very reasonable, and having someone who was vocal about disagreeing without trying to tilt the table is a very welcome thing. And I can't forget KOLE, Vogie, and of course BurgerBeast, but I'll just keep going on and on, so...That's my list.

iTreeby
2020-06-30, 09:14 AM
Anyone but sorcerer king.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-30, 09:23 AM
Anyone but sorcerer king.

You do not speak his name here!

They say whispering his name 3 times summons him and his hooded army of skeletons for a game of Guess Who, cursing you with the world's worst first session.

Zhorn
2020-06-30, 09:52 AM
I made someone's list? :smalleek:
My selection criteria was: posters who have expressed opinions different to my own, but have been open to healthy discussion, didn't dig their heels in, and communicated back and forth to understand others' opinions while explaining their own.

Essentially I'd want a player pool that thinks differently enough from me so I cannot predict them, but respond to challenges and disagreements in a way that doesn't kill the fun.

If i were a player alongside the posters, that list would be turn on its head with a different selection:
Any 3 of Luccan, Dork Forge, BurgerBeast, or Man_Over_Game as fellow players, I think I could easily get along with them as a team.
MaxWilson as DM, maybe? They seem savvy enough to work a decent narrative.

Now as for a game I had no part playing in and was just watching...

JackPhoenix for DM for their clear non-nonsense stance on RAW.
Pex, zinycor, Chaosmancer, and Talakeal for players.
I don't know what would happen with that combination, and that's precisely why I'd want to watch. From reading their posts I have been curious on how their games run, as their styles have sounded different enough to my experiences to feel it'd be worth a watch.

Now if only someone thought I was interesting enough to have on their list :smallfrown:

JNAProductions
2020-06-30, 09:58 AM
I'll echo those who say that, by and large, I'd be quite happy to play with y'all. This is a good community-yes, I disagree with some of you, and there are some jerks, but the disagreements are usually civil and the jerks are few and far between.

TigerT20
2020-06-30, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't want to DM for anyone here, as I wouldn't be able to mine the forum for ideas anymore. It's nothing personal.

I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC. If you want to be extra, they appear as their avatars. It would certainly make for an interesting cast.

And you would have to reference OotS at every possible opportunity.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-30, 10:30 AM
I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC.

Not sure if that would go over well. I have a habit of making halfling mafia bosses that swear a lot, to the point where my most recent one is canonically related to the last one.

2D8HP
2020-06-30, 10:44 AM
[...]Here are my votes:

Great suggestion!

Players: [...]mgshamster[...]

I've seen @mgshamster in PbP action, and he is really good!

2d8HP might not be a player, but he should definitely feature at some point.

[...]Players: 2d8HP

Thanks @JNAProductions and @KorvinStarmast, you're both very kind.

Ninja Prawn, Tanarii, Sigreid, me,

Good suggestions all!

and our "always a dwarf" poster whose name I need to go and find again. Have not seen him lately; he's real old school[...]

I'm guessing that you're thinking of "BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!" @Klorox (https://forums.giantitp.com/member.php?14462-Klorox)?

Yeah, he'd be a good choice.

[...]I'd also like to play with Willie the Duck, Pex, Max Wilson ... heck, most of you would be great to play with at table.

Glen Smash, Unoriginal, the list goes on and on ...

Very true!

Anyone but [unmentionable name]

You do not speak his name here!

They say whispering his name 3 times summons him and his hooded army of skeletons for a game of Guess Who, cursing you with the world's worst first session.

:biggrin: [unmentionable name might be amusing for a few minutes at the table :wink:!

But I imagine that after the dozenth time of the DM saying "Let me think about that for a minute before I respond to that...

...Oh, HELL NO!!! it would become tiresome and wear thin.

But I'd be very surprised if he took me up on my standard [i]"If you want me to DM all PC's are half-elf, half-orc, or human, multiclassing is allowed but other than a third level Arcane Trickster, Eldrich Knight, andPaladin PC's may only get Champion Fighter, Swashbuckler Rogue, and Thief Rogue class levels beyond second level, plus one other class that's limited to two levels, you may be a Druid/Fighter/Rogue, Wizard/Fighter/Rogue, et cetera, but you may not be a Druid/Wizard/etc cetera because headache that's why! Britain, France, Ireland, and Spain, plus parts of Germany and North Africa exist, are roughly like those historical places and your PC's may come from there, everywhere else is 'Faerie/There be Dragons' and not historical, yes you start in a tavern, look maybe you want to DM instead/i]?"

[...]I feel like every member should feature at some point as an NPC. If you want to be extra, they appear as their avatars. It would certainly make for an interesting cast[...]

:eek: That's a lot of name level NPC's! Maybe in taverns telling tales of their adventures?

Eldariel
2020-06-30, 11:25 AM
I'd definitely want MaxWilson for DM because I quite love what he's told about the set of houserules he's using and I'd be thrilled to see how it all works out in practice. Some personalities I'd be interested to see more in game would be patchyman, Moreb Benkh, ezekielraiden, etc. (the list would go on forever but those are few names I feel haven't been mentioned here) admittedly on the back of their extremely reasonable and articulate contributions to few recent threads, particularly the Martial one. People capable of producing posts of that quality would most likely also be able to express themselves, their desires, and their goals well in designing the game and thus make for an agreeable environment where a clear social contract could be articulated and everyone would be heard. They all also feel like extremely reasonable people; not sure about their thespian gifts since this is a poor medium for judging those but I'm sure they'd be able to produce a rather immersive experience.

Of course, there are lots, lots, lots of great posters on these forums and this sort of a post would never be complete no matter how long I spent writing it. I'd echo many of the names already posted in this thread but given said names have already been posted, I feel like that might not be necessary at this point. Suffice to say, users who have posted in this thread would all probably be on the list of players I'd love to watch play or play with myself.

Pex
2020-06-30, 11:51 AM

I'm playing.

Session 1

Me: I want to climb a tree.

MaxWilson
2020-06-30, 12:15 PM
It's really hard to tell someone's playing style from their posting style, so take what I say here with a grain of salt and I'm probably overlooking some folks, but I feel like I'd enjoy watching or playing in a game where:

Knaight is the DM (seems to have a solid grasp of a variety of different game designs, and I expect I'd learn a lot from watching),
Merudo is a player (some really unique and interesting mechanical ideas, lots of creativity)
LudicSavant is a player (really great and cooperative attitude, also excellent rules knowledge and computational skills)
Korvin Starmast is a player (old school sensibilities, seems likely to be fun to roleplay with)
Willie the Duck is a player (grognards FTW, and he's usually pretty level-headed)
and I'm a player (because watching people play is less fun than playing with them).

Five players is a lot but I expect Knaight can handle it. : )

KorvinStarmast
2020-06-30, 12:41 PM
It's really hard to tell someone's playing style from their posting style, so take what I say here with a grain of salt and I'm probably overlooking some folks, but I feel like I'd enjoy watching or playing in a game where:

Knaight is the DM (seems to have a solid grasp of a variety of different game designs, and I expect I'd learn a lot from watching),
Merudo is a player (some really unique and interesting mechanical ideas, lots of creativity)
LudicSavant is a player (really great and cooperative attitude, also excellent rules knowledge and computational skills)
Korvin Starmast is a player (old school sensibilities, seems likely to be fun to roleplay with)
Willie the Duck is a player (grognards FTW, and he's usually pretty level-headed)
and I'm a player (because watching people play is less fun than playing with them).

would love to play with you all. :smallcool:

KorvinStarmast
2020-06-30, 12:42 PM
I'm playing.

Session 1

Me: I want to climb a tree.
Me looks up in the tree and asks Pex: What do you seen from up there? Are we lost, or do you know which way we should go to find the old wizard's tower?

2D8HP
2020-06-30, 01:40 PM
Me looks up in the tree and asks Pex: What do you seen from up there? Are we lost, or do you know which way we should go to find the old wizard's tower?

Well that nailed it @KorvinStarmast, I think everyone wants you at their table now (including me).

Okay, not for 5e D&D, but as Administrator/Dungeon Master/Game Master/Keeper/Referee for other Adventure FRP games besides 5e D&D
Jay R

Knaight

kyoryu

Mark Hall

Mordar

and

S@tanicoaldo

DM for most versions of D&D (especially 4e):
Tanarii

DM for and/or fellow players of 5e D&D:
DeTess

Digitalelf

FreddyNoNose

JoeJ

Klorox

KorvinStarmast (of course)

Ninja Prawn

90sMusic

Nupo

Rabidmuskrat

Tinkerer

YossarianLives

and

ZorroGames

Player only: (the idea of his wit on the other side of the screen scares me):
Peelee

but really everyone mentioned on and/or posting to this thread (except [he-who-should-not-be-summoned] are excellent choices, any table with 'em is blessed!

EDIT: Since the O.P. says I'm only supposed to have four players + one DM, I'd want to limit it by generational integration, so at least one other fellow 50+ codger (who are much of my list), at least one 30 to 50 years old codger-in-training (who are most of my list), and at least one sub 30 youngster (anyone?).

And that's all four!

Skylivedk
2020-06-30, 03:34 PM
DM candidates
LudicSavant: takes lore and tactics seriously, great to talk with
MaxWilson: CaW player with a deep understanding of encounter design
Kryx: and maybe a bunch of his house rules; some of his campaign and encounter designs have been off the hook

Players
lollerabe: fall of your chair fun to play with - makes custom songs, new voices etc.
KorvinStormast: descriptions over mechanics; old school DnD flavour
Moreb Benhk
ezekielraiden: I have liked most posts by ezekielraiden
Eldariel: much the same type of positive impression as ezekielraiden

me: I really want to be a part of this group :smallbiggrin:

I would also feel comfortable playing with the above in new systems or in their home-brewed systems.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-30, 03:40 PM
Do I count as a regular?
Probably not.

2D8HP
2020-06-30, 04:01 PM
Do I count as a regular?
Probably not.

@Wizard_Lizard,
You average 2.78 posts per day, most of your recent posts have been in the 5e sub-forum, and you started ten 5e sub-forum threads.

That's a regular!

MaxWilson
2020-06-30, 04:01 PM
Do I count as a regular?
Probably not.

FWIW, when I saw on the main screen that the most recent poster to this thread was Wizard_Lizard, I had positive mental associations with that name. I believe you must have said insightful things in other threads for me to feel that way. Off the top of my head I don't remember what kind of game you run but I for one would be happy to play with you and see what your game is like.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-30, 04:05 PM
@Wizard_Lizard,
You average 2.78 posts per day, most of your recent posts have been in the 5e sub-forum, and you started ten 5e sub-forum threads.

That's a regular!
Ayyy I nominate myself then! (As a player, don't think my DM skills are adecquate for a game of such legendary proportions)
I think a game run by Peelee would certainly be entertaining to say the least.

FWIW, when I saw on the main screen that the most recent poster to this thread was Wizard_Lizard, I had positive mental associations with that name. I believe you must have said insightful things in other threads for me to feel that way. Off the top of my head I don't remember what kind of game you run but I for one would be happy to play with you and see what your game is like.

Thank you!:smallbiggrin:

Kane0
2020-06-30, 05:08 PM
There's far too many for a single party but I'd definitely want to be in a homebrew testing group with the likes of Moxxmix, Man_Over_Game, Grod_The_Giant, Kryx, Segev, SpawnofMorbo, KorvinStarmast, Amechra, Chaosmancer...

Pex
2020-06-30, 07:03 PM
This is starting to sound like a popularity contest.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-01, 07:39 AM
This is starting to sound like a popularity contest.

If it is, it's a tie between Tanarii and MaxWilson

Ninja_Prawn
2020-07-01, 03:09 PM
Hey, someone remembered me! :smallcool:

One person I would mention is Gorgon_Heap. He doesn't post much on the 5e forum, but I played a long-running PbP game with him and he's an excellent DM.

Arkhios
2020-07-01, 09:23 PM
Not surprised I'm not on any lists, and probably won't be in any due to my often painfully outspoken and snarky demeanor. :smallamused:

Luccan
2020-07-01, 09:30 PM
My selection criteria was: posters who have expressed opinions different to my own, but have been open to healthy discussion, didn't dig their heels in, and communicated back and forth to understand others' opinions while explaining their own.

Essentially I'd want a player pool that thinks differently enough from me so I cannot predict them, but respond to challenges and disagreements in a way that doesn't kill the fun.

If i were a player alongside the posters, that list would be turn on its head with a different selection:
Any 3 of Luccan, Dork Forge, BurgerBeast, or Man_Over_Game as fellow players, I think I could easily get along with them as a team.
MaxWilson as DM, maybe? They seem savvy enough to work a decent narrative.

Thanks! Glad I've made a positive impression. For the record, I'd be quiet happy to play alongside you as well.

I've had the opportunity to play in some PbP games with several regulars, so I can say with confidence that people have brought up solid choices already. I can't say much about who I'd like to play with beyond that; I'll hopefully get to anyone who posts in the recruiting threads at some point. I will say, from a viewership standpoint, you'd have to be careful to choose wisely. Don't want too much personality clash for a show.

MaxWilson
2020-07-01, 11:00 PM
Thanks! Glad I've made a positive impression. For the record, I'd be quiet happy to play alongside you as well.

I've had the opportunity to play in some PbP games with several regulars, so I can say with confidence that people have brought up solid choices already. I can't say much about who I'd like to play with beyond that; I'll hopefully get to anyone who posts in the recruiting threads at some point. I will say, from a viewership standpoint, you'd have to be careful to choose wisely. Don't want too much personality clash for a show.

You could always run the campaign in West Marches style. :) Player-driven scheduling, player-driven play agenda, open table, open world. People who don't get along may just gradually stop attending the same sessions--or maybe they will develop an explicit rivalry in-world.

KOLE
2020-07-02, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I’d play with any of ya’ll. I’d love to see what MOG or Korvin can do as a DM, Tenarii strikes me as a fascinating player, Ninja Prawn and JNA always have great things to say, I bet they’d be excellent. The biggest one is Pex though. Without sounding like a total creeper, I always like his posts, he seems like he’d be great to play with or even just watch. Get a zoom meeting going ya’ll.

Willie the Duck
2020-07-02, 07:12 AM
If it is, it's a tie between Tanarii and MaxWilson

Honestly, they deserve it. Agree, disagree, or sometimes agree with their positions or conclusions, they put in the work. Either seems to devote more effort to posting on Giantitp about gaming than I spend on gaming in total.

Merudo
2020-07-04, 07:05 AM

That means a lot, coming from you :).

Lupine
2020-07-04, 01:05 PM
Players: Grod_the_Giant, MOG, Tanarii, Ludic Savant.
I have seen these players all around the 5e forum, and they are generally helpful, suppling well thought out statements, and all sorts of good stuff.
DM: Korvin Starmast.
Korvin was the person who responded earliest when I was stuck on what to do with a 5e problem. His game sense is rarely, if ever, wrong. Korvin seems like a generally good person who I could learn a lot from watching (even if I wasn’t playing). I believe what I learn would boost me forward 30 years, rather than having to figure it all out myself.

Also, I don’t think I could as count as anywhere close to the pillars that others are talking about, but 2d8HP said they’d like a under 30s player. That’s me. Still a teen, lol.

Merudo
2020-07-08, 02:48 AM
I would have considered Citan, but he sort of disappeared about 1 year ago? Anyone knows what happened to him?

Xenken
2020-07-09, 02:36 AM
Quietly salutes the old gods, notebook in hand.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-10, 02:13 PM
Players: Grod_the_Giant, MOG, Tanarii, Ludic Savant.
I have seen these players all around the 5e forum, and they are generally helpful, suppling well thought out statements, and all sorts of good stuff.
DM: Korvin Starmast.
Korvin was the person who responded earliest when I was stuck on what to do with a 5e problem. His game sense is rarely, if ever, wrong. Korvin seems like a generally good person who I could learn a lot from watching (even if I wasn’t playing). I believe what I learn would boost me forward 30 years, rather than having to figure it all out myself.

Also, I don’t think I could as count as anywhere close to the pillars that others are talking about, but 2d8HP said they’d like a under 30s player. That’s me. Still a teen, lol. Thank you for your kind words. *blush* I have found that I am still learning as a DM with my current group. (I really prefer in person play, but at the moment it's all on line/in discord chat or roll20 ... and I do sometimes love the digital tools but really miss the face to face element ... sigh, such is life. )

Lupine
2020-07-10, 03:10 PM
I have found that I am still learning as a DM with my current group. (I really prefer in person play, but at the moment it's all on line/in discord chat or roll20 ... and I do sometimes love the digital tools but really miss the face to face element ... sigh, such is life. )
We all learn. We never stop, and this is not a capstone of DM skill. That’s part of what makes this hobby of ours as great as it is.

And I think we’re all finding that virtual play isn’t quite as fun, but at least it we can still play, aye?