PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Swords Bard Help

Damocles23
2020-06-30, 12:32 AM
I have a level 6 swords bard. I'm playing more of a support/backline kind of character but with my 14 con and 16 AC i'm kind of squishy. I was thinking about going ranged and our DM is allowing us one rare magic item (plus one we can buy. Bear in mind, those are ou first magic items period) so it was a good time to reconsider my build.

Aaron Underhand
2020-06-30, 01:21 AM
I have a level 6 swords bard. I'm playing more of a support/backline kind of character but with my 14 con and 16 AC i'm kind of squishy. I was thinking about going ranged and our DM is allowing us one rare magic item (plus one we can buy. Bear in mind, those are ou first magic items period) so it was a good time to reconsider my build.

As you go up levels being a primary spellcaster begins to dominate all other choices. With free choice for items I would say "instrument of the bards" is key. I prefer the uncommon ones, but I'll take the rare version. It's so good I'd seriously consider two ! The other awesome rare item given free choice is a ring of spell storing, especially if you have other casters in the party and so can essentially swap spells. Leaning on a ranged theme there is the basic wand of fireballs, which will be great at this level but fall off in relative power quickly.

For defence you might consider a cloak of displacement.

follacchioso
2020-06-30, 05:00 AM
Level 7 will bring you some good spell choices, such as Greater Invisibility and Polymorph.

One level in sorcerer can also bring 4 new cantrips, and the Shield/Absorb Elements spells. Divine Soul will give you an additional spell and a short-rest bonus to saves/attack rolls. Shadow Sorcery will give you a chance to survive a KO. Storm Sorcery will give you more mobility and a way to escape grapples.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-30, 05:33 AM
Going ranged will drop one of your College benefits from regular use (your Fighting Style) but since Flourishes work with ranged weapons (for... reasons I guess) you can still rock a shortbow. Personally I would just address the 'weakness' of your build so you can still rock your swords as a Swords Bard (16AC and 45hp isn't really squishy at level 6). So some things for you to consider:

-Pick up the Mobile feat, since when you attack your speed increases by 10ft anyway you should easily have enough movement speed to be a hit and run skirmisher
-Take the Medium Armor Master feat and switch to Half Plate, cranking your AC up to 18 without imposing disadvantage on stealth
-Take an Amulet of Health which will take your Con to +4 and immediately give you +12hp and probably make you hp competitive with the d10 martials in your group (if there is any)
-A Ring/Cloak of Protection is a nice all around defensive bump
-If you're willing to delay your casting a smidge, take a level of Fighter and take Defense, between the AC bump and short rest healing you should see a significant increase in survivability
-Just a general tip, take or buy a magic weapon, +2, Flame Tongue etc. whatever your preference is

Mix in your natural Bardic Casting and you should be a support powerhouse with the ability to hold your own on the frontlines.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-30, 10:13 AM
You could maintain the option of being a melee-potential character, as Valor makes an excellent mid-range caster as you're more likely to hang on to Concentration, and it can perform as a melee combatant if necessary.