PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Bards and Eldarins

BenTheJester
2020-06-30, 11:45 AM
Glamour Bard's level 14 ability is the following:
For 1 minute (once per short rest) when a creature tries to attack you, it must make a Cha save vs your spell DC or be unable to attack you for the turn.
If the creature saves, it can attack you and has disadvantage vs your spells on your next turn.

Is it just me or is it better for you if the enemy makes this save? I'd rather take an attack and have the enemy get disadvantage vs a Save or Suck spell.
From what I've read, you can't voluntarily lower your DC, so most of the time you can't benefit from the 2nd effect.
What are your thoughts on this?

You can effectively cast 1/SR one of the best level 2 spells (Misty Step), at level 1.

Additionally, Autumn Eladrin, at level 3, can cast the equivalent of an upcasted Charm Monster (a level 4 spell upcasted to level 5). This version is even better than Charm Monster, since enemies you are fighting don't even get Advantage on the save.
Yes the range is much lower, since your targets have to be within 10ft, but this is a minor inconvenient since you just moved 30ft and still have your action AND your move.

This is in addition of getting a +2 dex which is a universally good stat, as well as other Elven goodies (Adv vs Charms, Darkvision, Perception proficiency).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-30, 01:22 PM
Maybe find a way to use a reaction to give them a bonus on their save to be able to attack you?

Fey Step is good, but unlike Misty Step, you can't use a spell slot to use it more often. It has a hard limit of once per short rest, which may be better for some characters than others.

Christew
2020-06-30, 01:38 PM
Glamour Bard's level 14 ability is the following:
For 1 minute (once per short rest) when a creature tries to attack you, it must make a Cha save vs your spell DC or be unable to attack you for the turn.
If the creature saves, it can attack you and has disadvantage vs your spells on your next turn.

Is it just me or is it better for you if the enemy makes this save? I'd rather take an attack and have the enemy get disadvantage vs a Save or Suck spell.
From what I've read, you can't voluntarily lower your DC, so most of the time you can't benefit from the 2nd effect.
What are your thoughts on this?
Depends on the situation. If that attack would drop you for example, then it is definitely better for them to fail the save. While being able to impose disadvantage vs spells might be stronger in a lot of situations, that's just not what the ability is for. It is a damage mitigation technique that has a rider so that it has some effect even if the enemy saves. It would be a pretty crummy 14th level ability without that rider and a completely different ability if you had control over which effect was inflicted.

I just got Mordekainen's Tome of Foes and saw the Elastin subrace.
Is it just me, or is this race on the overpowered side?

You can effectively cast 1/SR one of the best level 2 spells (Misty Step), at level 1.

Additionally, Autumn Eladrin, at level 3, can cast the equivalent of an upcasted Charm Monster (a level 4 spell upcasted to level 5). This version is even better than Charm Monster, since enemies you are fighting don't even get Advantage on the save.
Yes the range is much lower, since your targets have to be within 10ft, but this is a minor inconvenient since you just moved 30ft and still have your action AND your move.

This is in addition of getting a +2 dex which is a universally good stat, as well as other Elven goodies (Adv vs Charms, Darkvision, Perception proficiency).
It is nice, but not particularly overpowered. Yes, you get a level 2 spell at level 1, but you sacrifice a bunch of other racial goodies to get it. Strong in certain situations, but becomes less impressive as you level and doesn't come close to say Yuan-ti levels of overpoweredness.

1Pirate
2020-06-30, 03:37 PM
The Eladrin ability is nice but not OP, though it might look like that at level 1.
Remember the charm only lasts 1 minute, that's worse than Charm Person and not really the the equivalent of an upcast Charm Monster--which lasts for an hour.

Charm is not Dominate, so it's going to be DM dependent on what you can get the creature to do in the time that you have.

Lastly, if you're not playing a class that pumps Cha, the DC is going to be really low.