PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about the flaming sphere spell....

Alastar
2020-06-30, 03:23 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting. I read the rules and I'm hoping I didn't miss anything.

So in dnd 5e, there is this 2nd LVL conjuration spell called Flaming Sphere. I chose it and I'm not 100% sure how it works. I get the part that if a creature ends its turn within 5ft of the sphere must make a dex saving throw to avoid the damage. I don't get the ram part of the spell. What does it mean that the targeted creature must make a saving throw against the sphere's damage? What roll must the creature do? A dex saving throw? Or what? I don't really get it. :smallconfused:

Flaming Sphere

A 5-foot-diameter sphere of fire appears in an
unoccupied space of your choice within range and lasts
for the duration. Any creature that ends its turn within 5
feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw.
The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or
half as much damage on a successful one.
As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30
feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature
must make the saving throw against the sphere's
damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
When you move the sphere, you can direct it over
barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to
10 feet wide. The sphere ignites flammable objects not
being worn or carried, and it sheds bright light in a
20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a
spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by
ld6 for each slot level above 2nd.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

mythmonster2
2020-06-30, 03:26 PM
Yes, the ram also requires the creature to make a Dex saving throw.

Joe the Rat
2020-06-30, 03:41 PM
Got it in one.

The Dex save and damage from being adjacent to the sphere happens at the end of a creature's turn, which means they have an entire turn to escape - possibly not ever taking damage. The bonus action ram is essentially an attack with the sphere, using the same saving throw and damage. The ram option makes sure that even if your enemies scatter, you can damage at least one creature with the spell every round.

Chronos
2020-06-30, 07:01 PM
Although it also means that, if your enemy is unwilling or unable to move, you can double up the damage per turn.

Tanarii
2020-06-30, 07:57 PM
It's a sphere of fire 5ft in diameter that occupies a space. Treat it as a solid object, it cannot move through or be moved through.

If you move it into a creature, that creature may take damage. (Edit: I didn't really answer the question. This is the part you are looking for, and it's a Dex save.)

If a creature ends up standing next to it at the end of their turn, they take damage,

Creatures that start next to it, move past it or jump over it they don't take any damage, unless they then end up next to it.

I've had a few folks disagree with me in the past that it's 'solid' or occupies the space, but that's always the way I've interpreted it.

Alastar
2020-07-01, 07:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys! I understand the spell now. :smallbiggrin:

DeadMech
2020-07-01, 08:48 PM
Yeah I think you got it. It's a bit of a silly spell but one of my favorites for a low level wizard. Nice spell slot efficient damage, a use for your bonus action that otherwise you have little use for, can be combined with a cantrip like firebolt.

Often the best bet was to sandwich enemies between the sphere and a front line character. Force them to either eat an OA or stand there in the AOE.

It's a bit absurd that creatures entering the area of effect don't have to make saving throws but that's about my only complaint. Since that would help it work as an area denial spell.

Actually my other complaint is that the combo of flaming sphere and firebolt tended to be the only reliable thing I could do at low levels and got to be a bit boring from overuse. For some reason in that campaign the only saves enemies would fail were to direct damage spells so using hold person or blindness was out of the question.

Tanarii
2020-07-01, 09:33 PM
It's a bit absurd that creatures entering the area of effect don't have to make saving throws but that's about my only complaint. Since that would help it work as an area denial spell.
Definitely. It's also one of the most common mistakes players make in the way they think the spell works. I saw it a bunch of times in AL and I had to point it out to many first time Wizard players IMC.

It's also an interesting contrast to Moonbeam, which works the other way around.