PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Giving my Animal Companion a fly speed?

inuyasha
2020-07-01, 12:50 AM
I'm working on a bit of a thought experiment right now, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Does anyone know of a way to give a druid's animal companion flight as an intrinsic quality if it's normally a ? Preferably not as a magic item or as a spell, but through a feat or some archetype so that they can fly all the time? I've found two things so far and they don't entirely work for my idea...

There's Elemental Companion (Air) which works, but only at 9th level which is a little too late for me, and there's that Spirit Companion feat (or something similarly named) that when combined with the Heavens spirit will give them a fly speed of 5, which would be fine if it went even a little bit faster. I'm open to a little bit of 3pp, preferably DSP stuff, but I've been looking through my books and haven't found anything yet. I'd like to give a big beefy animal companion, preferably an aurochs or an elephant or something, a fly speed.

el minster
2020-07-01, 12:53 AM
I think by applying the Celestial template to a large creature they gain wings you could try to find a way to do that

Edit: Half dragon template

Psyren
2020-07-01, 01:14 AM
I don't know about "intrinsic" but you could just buy it Flying Ointment or Winged Boots or something.

Monstrous Mount lets you swap out your companion for something that can fly, and there are options there you could consider "beefy", but the choices are limited.

upho
2020-07-01, 04:00 PM
The fantastic Buraq (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Buraq) AC archetype (from Akashic Mysteries) gains an effectively permanent fly speed at 9th. Though you may consider that a bit late (and boosting the rather slow speed is kinda hard/expensive at that level), it's typically the best AC archetype in a Paizo + DSP game for a very large majority of PCs, with great mechanics and tons of easily mutable flavor. Very highly recommended. (Shameless advertising: to give you a few ideas on this and other DSP AC stuff, check out my Hussar guide (link in sig), especially the archetype section in the "Pimp Your Ride" chapter and the "The Gunship: Rola and Rocky" example build.)

Otherwise, see Psyren's post - AFAIK there are no options granting (what I assume you mean by) "intrinsic" flight other than those you mentioned. Though it may also be worth noting that it's typically not especially costly for your AC to gain the ability to use command activated magic items themselves (including wands if they can grasp stuff), as most of the items required for this are likely to provide you with other substantial advantages and should have a pretty high priority anyways. Not to mention that having an actually talking AC is typically great for RP, for everyone in your group. And most importantly, it's simply adorable (https://youtu.be/nGeKSiCQkPw)! :smalltongue:

inuyasha
2020-07-01, 05:17 PM
Ahhh thank you all! I may settle for flying boots after all since they're not very difficult.

The Buraq is really cool! I haven't gotten into Akashic stuff yet, pretty much all the DSP content that I use is Psionics-oriented. I'm not too big on Path of War, but Akasha I might need to give a shot. Thank you for posting it though!

el minster
2020-07-01, 09:17 PM
Ahhh thank you all! I may settle for flying boots after all since they're not very difficult.

The Buraq is really cool! I haven't gotten into Akashic stuff yet, pretty much all the DSP content that I use is Psionics-oriented. I'm not too big on Path of War, but Akasha I might need to give a shot. Thank you for posting it though!

Also make sure your DM lets you stick winged boots on a creature with weird feet

Psyren
2020-07-01, 09:22 PM
Also make sure your DM lets you stick winged boots on a creature with weird feet

Aurochs have Feet slots (the boots will need to be crafted as horseshoes however.) Elephants don't, so if his heart is set on that he'll need something else like Wings of Flying.