PDA

View Full Version : evryone's favorite octopus

slexlollar89
2007-10-28, 08:20 PM
Yes, it has come to this. I am currently running a campaign based loosely off of final fantasy six (three in america), and would ask if anyone knows how I could stat Ultros, the purple octopus for the lete river fight. the party is level 3-5 (havn't given them exp. for the last bits, and sorta wing alot lately so exp could be comming) and mostly new players.

I think he would be an octopus monster with int and high cha... but should he have class levels, or should I make up a unique monster for him? the octopus entry doesn't...fit...right.

goat
2007-10-28, 08:40 PM
Yes, it has come to this. I am currently running a campaign based loosely off of final fantasy six (three in america), and would ask if anyone knows how I could stat Ultros, the purple octopus for the lete river fight. the party is level 3-5 (havn't given them exp. for the last bits, and sorta wing alot lately so exp could be comming) and mostly new players.

An octopus version of TDC, only not mindless, played with reasonable intelligence, and that runs away before they get to kill it.

slexlollar89
2007-10-28, 09:01 PM
What's TDC?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-28, 09:05 PM
That Damn Crab, a CR 3 encounter that actually should be fought by, at least, CR 9 chars.

Enguhl
2007-10-29, 02:35 AM
Give him a few caster levels (or a spell like ability) for blind. Whirlwind for the multiple tentacle attack. Witty one-liners. Umm... alot of HD? That pretty much covers Ultros. Also make sure the party has someone with Mass Cure Light Wounds at will, you know the name.

Setra
2007-10-29, 02:38 AM
An octopus version of TDC, only not mindless, played with reasonable intelligence, and that runs away before they get to kill it.

That Damn Crab, a CR 3 encounter that actually should be fought by, at least, CR 9 chars.
Ultros wasn't really that strong though.

I'd suggest asking for a homebrew.

Enguhl
2007-10-29, 02:50 AM
Ultros wasn't really that strong though.

I'd suggest asking for a homebrew.

Ultros was totally strong! You know... sorta.

But you could also add in the fact that they are on a raft, balance checks, how they hit him melee, etc.

Khanderas
2007-10-29, 03:11 AM
Ultros should be BIG and STONG.
But a coward. In the river scene he fights them for no real reason, he just wants to mess around so fleeing is a valid option.
Someone with healing on your side would help. Eventually he either thinks he cannot win the fight or he gets bored.

Its hard to make this guy though, and my notes didn't really help :smallannoyed: . To make him powerful yet not 8xgrapplearms-pull-underwater-and-drown-PC's.

OOOh idea, that might not suck:
Ultros is defending himself against some other great beast is winning but wounded. In comes the PC's and distracts him enough to have his pray/enemy escape or get the upper hand (demon, giant catfish, whatever). And a vendetta vs the PC's is born. Note that the PCs dont have to side with whatever Ultros is fighting, the other entity can claim they are his reinforcements and the fight is on, regardless of what the PC's want :smallbiggrin:
Already damaged = escapes and vows revenge.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-10-29, 03:47 AM

That is a ridiculously wild exaggeration. It's much too good for CR 3, but it's NOT a CR9 challenge.

Aquillion
2007-10-29, 04:10 AM
As I recall, Ultros' primary attacks in his first fight were strikes with tentacles, combined with blinding ink. He was weak against fire, too, and retaliated with his tentacles when it hit him.

Note that the generic D&D octopus does have some features you may want to give to Ultros... specifically, its 200 foot jet escape, combined with obscuring ink as a free action. That'll make it easy to get away from a low-level party. Since the players have presumably played FF6 before, of course, they'll know that they're not supposed to kill him, so they probably won't try too hard once he begins to run anyway.

JadedDM
2007-10-29, 04:28 AM
I think his Imp Song ability would be particularly difficult to translate.

AslanCross
2007-10-29, 04:41 AM
Ultros should be BIG and STONG.
But a coward. In the river scene he fights them for no real reason, he just wants to mess around so fleeing is a valid option.
Someone with healing on your side would help. Eventually he either thinks he cannot win the fight or he gets bored.

Maybe a Kraken?

Khanderas
2007-10-29, 05:07 AM
Maybe a Kraken?
I like Kraken.

We got size, power and intelligence.
Ultros is atleast partially insane though but basically yeah. Me like.
Maybe a half-kraken ?:smalltongue:
So he can be handled at all, and get speech and such. I dont know if Krakens can talk or if they use telepathy or things like that.

AslanCross
2007-10-29, 07:54 AM
Yep, they can speak. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kraken.htm)

I don't know how a half-kraken would work, though. o_o

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-29, 08:01 AM
Ultros is either an intelligent giant octopus, or a very small kraken, is my thought. I'd just give this guy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm) humanoid-level intelligence and charisma. If you want to tone down the CR, get rid of his grapple-related abilities, since he generally seems to stick to whacking people instead of grabbing them.

As of the Opera scene, he's taken a few levels in Bard, giving him his suite of debuff spells. And the Airforce bit with Mr. Chupon? Leadership.

Lochar
2007-10-29, 08:03 AM
Ultros is either an intelligent giant octopus, or a very small kraken, is my thought. I'd just give this guy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm) humanoid-level intelligence and charisma. If you want to tone down the CR, get rid of his grapple-related abilities, since he generally seems to stick to whacking people instead of grabbing them.

As of the Opera scene, he's taken a few levels in Bard, giving him his suite of debuff spells. And the Airforce bit with Mr. Chupon? Leadership.

LOL. You just earned your name.

What about the battle when Relm shows up?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-29, 08:09 AM
I don't remember what extra abilities he had there, as it was very short, scripted, and had Relm in it so I was naturally bored out of my mind.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-29, 08:26 AM
Use the ideas presented in the MM2 about advancement to de-advance a Kraken?

AslanCross
2007-10-29, 08:54 AM
...Mr. Chupon...

Now, I think a more interesting question would be: "What in the blazes is Mr. Chupon?"

Mr.Moron
2007-10-29, 10:03 AM
Now, I think a more interesting question would be: "What in the blazes is Mr. Chupon?"

Good question. Given how odd he is, he likely qualifies as an aberration. He probably has claw attacks and guest of wind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gustOfWind.htm) at will.

Cold & Electric vulnerability. At least fire immunity if not some ability to recover damage when exposed to fire. Immunity to Poison, Mind-Affecting & Death effects. High Initiative bonus. At least if you're planning on drawing his stats straight from the game.

Probably has to be pure home brew, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could easily be adapted.

slexlollar89
2007-10-29, 02:06 PM
Thanks Nerdorama, that is perfect! I am going to give him some bardic abilities later, and a couple of sp abilities for the last fight.

As for chupon, well, I satted that mother ages ago... a real pain to get right:

abberation, incorporeal, large
defenstrating sphere at will
gust of wind at will
claws (1d8) with rake
bite (dimensional stomach 1d6)
weakness to cold, holy
heals from fire 50%
scorthching ray from eyes (because I just had to do it...Cmon you know evry baddie should be able to do this!)
drops an elixer (:smallbiggrin: )

He only has 15 HD, and fights with Ultros against the party: a sorcerer, 2 druids, a monk, a ninja, a gambler (DMnpc, my favorite guy), a deulist, and the Imperial Air force

should be a cake walk considereing the party'll be about 8-9th level :smallamused:

new question: Kefaka... sorcerer/favored soul or bard/fav soul?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-29, 02:12 PM
That is a ridiculously wild exaggeration. It's much too good for CR 3, but it's NOT a CR9 challenge.

More of a CR 6.

Bauglir
2007-10-29, 05:22 PM
Kefka I'd stat as a Battle Sorcerer with some extra spell-like abilities. Once he ascends, give him something like Divine Rank 1 (unless you're going to really high level, in which case more). He'll still be hard to fight like that, especially as you'll also want him to be a level 20 or so. He seems like a blasty character, by the way. Also, I did stat out an Ultros, but it's around CR 9 to begin with. No sorcerer levels yet. And is of the grabby sort. Basically an awakened advanced normal octopus with the Giant Octopus' attack routine. Ended up being Large due to the extra HD from Awaken.

Enguhl
2007-10-29, 05:30 PM
Ugh... Kefka's attack that brings everyone down to 1 HP... Poor party. Hopefully they have Life 3 prepared :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-10-29, 06:02 PM
Ugh... Kefka's attack that brings everyone down to 1 HP... Poor party. Hopefully they have Life 3 prepared :smallbiggrin:
Fallen One

Hell what about Ultima? Unblockable attack that deals ridiculous amounts of damage.

Actually out of randomness I am gonna try to stat it here... let's see..

Level: Destruction 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: 30-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The Ultima spell is an explosion of Force that deals 2d6 damage per caster level.

To cast the spell you must concentrate on its point of origin, however no gestures are required. Upon the spell being cast, the spell springs out from the point of origin to fill a 30ft. radius. You must be able to see the origin point in order to cast the spell.

Cost: 200XP

Something like that maybe?

lord_khaine
2007-10-29, 06:13 PM
i dont know, i would maybe change it to 2d6 per level and reflex none?

Setra
2007-10-29, 06:18 PM
i dont know, i would maybe change it to 2d6 per level and reflex none?
I wanted it to do more damage than Disintegrate :smalltongue: actually I was considering making the damage 2d6 but giving it NO save, because in game it always hit.

Or rigging up a custom fort save that makes it deal a % less damage based on your fort roll, to represent the existance of magic defense.

Edit: Actually I just got an idea *edits Ultima post*
Edit Edit: There

slexlollar89
2007-10-30, 01:14 PM
I already did fallen one and ultima:

fallen one: the party makes a fortitude save or hp is put to 1d4 (mass harm basically, but with range)

ultima: 2d6/lvl damage, no save, SR applies, double damage to objects (there are huge chunks in the spell area) 600ft radius centered on caster

also did holy and aurabolt (whch the monk player will eventually be able to use at 4th level)

I think I will make Kefka a blaster-ish srocerer... and maybe make him DvR 1 at the end. Can anyone say light of judgement?

mwa ha ha ha ha ha!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-30, 02:36 PM
Doesn't M. Def. apply to Ultima? I'd make it Reflex half, then. 2d6 Untyped/level, Ref half basically makes it an AoE Disintegrate, although it eliminates the attack roll part.

Enguhl
2007-10-30, 04:30 PM
Fallen One

Hell what about Ultima? Unblockable attack that deals ridiculous amounts of damage.

Actually out of randomness I am gonna try to stat it here... let's see..

Level: Destruction 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: 30-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The Ultima spell is an explosion of Force that deals 2d6 damage per caster level.

To cast the spell you must concentrate on its point of origin, however no gestures are required. Upon the spell being cast, the spell springs out from the point of origin to fill a 30ft. radius. You must be able to see the origin point in order to cast the spell.

Cost: 200XP

Something like that maybe?

Psh, 9999d1... duh. Also for a material component it should be "The bodies of what you kill and their equipment, excluding potions."
:smallbiggrin:
Also a level 9 spell. Unless you have a hairpin made of gold...