PDA

View Full Version : Save the potted plant! And another question

Heavenblade
2020-07-01, 07:31 AM
So, Im about to start a 9th level game soon-ish, and we got 1000 gp to spend on stuff (common items are 100, Uncommon are 500, Rare are 1000, if they are 1-use items they cost 1/5 the price).

So, Im buying a bunch of common magic items, in addition to diamonds for 1 revivify (Im a divine soul sorcerer).

Now comes the tough part - in Xanthar's there is my favourite item in the game - the little clay pot that lets me grow an awekend shrub.

Since its 1-use common its dirt cheap, and I would really like to have one. Problem is, Im kind of scared the little guy would die with the first AoE of the adventures.

Are there any ways besides bags of holding (for which Ill probably not have the money) to protect my shrub from harm?

About thw other question - could I use used elemental gem (earth) as components for revivify?

Demonslayer666
2020-07-01, 09:15 AM
I allow my players to keep tiny pets on their person, so they count as worn, and are not hit by AoEs. Maybe you could grow a smaller shrub, and keep it in your backback?

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-01, 09:54 AM
Uh...I guess you could cast Death Ward, Warding Bond, um...Sanctuary? Your DM might allow you to take Mounted Combatant to protect it. Or heck, try to take 3 levels into the revised Beastmaster and make it your chosen pet so you can revive it (if your DM allows it).

But honestly, I'd just not worry about it. If your DM gives it to you, he's unlikely to steal that away unless you're reckless about it. It sounds like you want to be a good parent, and there's no fun in ruining something like that for anyone.

firelistener
2020-07-01, 09:54 AM
You could ask your DM if they would fry your shrub pet with AOE attacks. As long as it's not actually helping you in combat and is just a little mascot character, I would just ignore it for the most part as DM.

Sigreid
2020-07-01, 10:02 AM
As a DM, unless you are using it like a tool, i.e. a familiar substitute, I wouldn't spend any time or thought on it.

If you're using it as anything more than a flavor companion, it isn't likely to survive.

Heavenblade
2020-07-01, 04:12 PM
Gm question is also a good direction- he is a first timer, so knowing what his thoughts are regarding to noncombatants could be useful

JackPhoenix
2020-07-01, 04:21 PM
Don't drag it into combat? AoE's happen. You may talk to your GM about it, but the safest bet is to not bring non-combatants into situations where such threat exist.

For the second question: If it's diamond worth at least 300 gp, yes, you can. But it would be consumed in the casting, so... better look for normal, non-magical diamond.