PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Solo Adventure.

FTG82
2020-07-01, 04:55 PM
Hey oh! so me and a friend are going to do a fun little thing for us. He wants to dm a little more and I'm game for helping him. He said he'll allow me to get a few NPC's for help. But i do wanna do more of a "solo" run. I was thinking a Necromancer cleric. I'm thinking end goal I wanna be an unkillable lich with an army of undead that i can call at a moments notice. But All those deep and brooding types don't sound fun to me. I wanna be able to hide as if i'm just a local nice guy who's been cursed. I wanna play it as if I didn't want these powers but i'm going to use them non the less. But in all actuality i'm working to make my powers stronger. I'll trick Strong NPC's to become my undead slaves, slowly take over towns to fund my projects, and will help out people when it's the most beneficial to me. Me and my buddy our two of the three rules lawyers at the table. And we enjoy breaking things. So he said if I can convince him that the powers work as RAI then they will work that way. So in other words

Necrom Cleric pretending to be cursed and is working on becoming a lick. High levels of CHR to act like a nice guy and survivability sense i'll be the only player. Ways to make NPC's into undead slaves.

Psyren
2020-07-01, 07:06 PM
I recommend a high power variant like gestalt or mythic if you're really going solo. You can still be an army-of-the-dead necromancer but this reduces your chances of crumpling to an unlucky failed save or crit.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-01, 07:37 PM
Consider one level in dread necromancer and the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat for unlimited healing of both yourself and your pets.

And depending on the level you're starting out as, a first level dip into commoner with the Infested With Chickens flaw so you can have unlimited A.) food and B.) undead fodder. Fell Animate (or Fell Drain) + Destruction Retribution + greater consumptive field and 5 gp for a spell component pouch will give you all of the exploding undead chickens you could eat. This requires higher level spells, but it also gives infinite healing (obviating the need for dread necromancer).

[edit 1]

Necrom Cleric pretending to be cursed and is working on becoming a lick.*Slurp*

[edit 2]

You may want to consider doing a setup scene at some point where you orchestrate an undead attack on the village you can "save" it from, then take the role of savior of the village and pit yourself against the foul necromancer attacking it (which is also you, but they don't know that) as his nemesis. That way you can join any adventuring parties that drop by, which you can then recycle for your own purposes when you're "healing" them after a few particularly tough fights with your own undead (which conveniently happens to drain your undead HD pool so you can slot their corpses right into it).

FTG82
2020-07-01, 09:46 PM
Consider one level in dread necromancer and the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat for unlimited healing of both yourself and your pets.

And depending on the level you're starting out as, a first level dip into commoner with the Infested With Chickens flaw so you can have unlimited A.) food and B.) undead fodder. Fell Animate (or Fell Drain) + Destruction Retribution + greater consumptive field and 5 gp for a spell component pouch will give you all of the exploding undead chickens you could eat. This requires higher level spells, but it also gives infinite healing (obviating the need for dread necromancer).

[edit 1]

*Slurp*

[edit 2]

You may want to consider doing a setup scene at some point where you orchestrate an undead attack on the village you can "save" it from, then take the role of savior of the village and pit yourself against the foul necromancer attacking it (which is also you, but they don't know that) as his nemesis. That way you can join any adventuring parties that drop by, which you can then recycle for your own purposes when you're "healing" them after a few particularly tough fights with your own undead (which conveniently happens to drain your undead HD pool so you can slot their corpses right into it).

Okay first. Dread necromancer with Tomb-Tained Soul is awesome. Works well with my "Curse" and just all around an amazing choose. And I do like the effect of free food and free infinite heals lol. I'm glad you like the idea. For my domains i'm going necromancy/healing. So when i'm supposed to be a good boy i can heal my "friends" and necromancy when i'm being a bad boi by myself. And you've read my mind on the last one! Let's get an army of undead adventures!

ExLibrisMortis
2020-07-01, 10:28 PM
Horned Harbinger is a great class for getting lots of undead minions (reduces costs, too). Costs you a little spellcasting, though.

Chain Spell + command undead (+DMM:Chain) is a really good way to control a large number of unintelligent undead. You can control CL*[CL up to 20] undead at the time with a single spell slot per day. For example, with CL 10, you could command twenty 15 HD fire giant skeletons, which is a lot more than you get from animate dead (300 HD vs. 40 HD).

DMM:Persist + consumptive field is really nice, too. Huge Strength boost, big CL boost, Necromancy.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-02, 04:09 PM
Can you ask for a gestalt character and fractional saves/BAB for this, since you're going it alone?

Cleric 1 // Commoner 1
Cleric X // Dread Necromancer 1 and a mix of other classes for save boosting and low level (but powerful) class abilities
Cleric Casting PrCs X & Y // Ditto

Every additional class you toss in on the other "side" of your gestalt will raise their good saves by +2.5 if you're using fractional saves, and you can rely on the divine power spell for BAB. Of course, if you use my suggestion below, you won't need BAB nearly as much.

You can take cloistered cleric since your other classes can grant heavy armor (if you even want it) and weapon proficiencies, as the additional skill points are super-valuable.

Going Divine Metamagic with Persistent Spell and Fell Animate/Fell Drain (for [greater] consumptive field) will make you a lot more buff than you'd otherwise be, and there are several classes that grant turning and rebuking (which gives even more reason to dip into dread necromancer).

You may want to consider grabbing yourself a sand (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) blaster (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?415149-Sand-Blaster-MM3) and tossing some of your WBL into it. The heroics (Spell Compendium) and mirror move (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20000901a) spells can give you fighter feats to use on it so you don't have to use your own feats for it. Note that you don't need Weapon Proficiency to use it, since you don't make any attack rolls. Using black sand (Libris Mortis) as ammo will heal undead, and they don't worry about the Fort saves. A big enough AoE will allow you to blanket the battlefield with repeated blasts of sand, which will heal your allies and penalize your enemies.

[edit] - Go changeling. That way you can put on a separate face for your Evil Overlord persona. That, and changelings have crazy-go-nuts awesome racial ACFs.

FTG82
2020-07-02, 05:26 PM
Horned Harbinger is a great class for getting lots of undead minions (reduces costs, too). Costs you a little spellcasting, though.

Chain Spell + command undead (+DMM:Chain) is a really good way to control a large number of unintelligent undead. You can control CL*[CL up to 20] undead at the time with a single spell slot per day. For example, with CL 10, you could command twenty 15 HD fire giant skeletons, which is a lot more than you get from animate dead (300 HD vs. 40 HD).

DMM:Persist + consumptive field is really nice, too. Huge Strength boost, big CL boost, Necromancy.

That sounds ****ing awesome. Can I get the books actual names? I'm not to good at abbreviation.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-07-02, 05:30 PM
That sounds ****ing awesome. Can I get the books actual names? I'm not to good at abbreviation.
Horned Harbinger is from Faiths & Pantheons.
Command undead is core.
Chain Spell and Persistent Spell are from Complete Arcane.
DMM is Divine Metamagic, and it's from Complete Divine.
Consumptive field is in the Spell Compendium.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-02, 05:31 PM
That sounds ****ing awesome. Can I get the books actual names? I'm not to good at abbreviation.You proooobably don't want horned harbinger, since it'll give away your ID to all and sundry. At least, not until much later. And you don't want it at all unless you're doing gestalt and have cleric all along one side for the caster levels.

FTG82
2020-07-02, 05:37 PM
Can you ask for a gestalt character and fractional saves/BAB for this, since you're going it alone?

Cleric 1 // Commoner 1
Cleric X // Dread Necromancer 1 and a mix of other classes for save boosting and low level (but powerful) class abilities
Cleric Casting PrCs X & Y // Ditto

Every additional class you toss in on the other "side" of your gestalt will raise their good saves by +2.5 if you're using fractional saves, and you can rely on the divine power spell for BAB. Of course, if you use my suggestion below, you won't need BAB nearly as much.

You can take cloistered cleric since your other classes can grant heavy armor (if you even want it) and weapon proficiencies, as the additional skill points are super-valuable.

Going Divine Metamagic with Persistent Spell and Fell Animate/Fell Drain (for [greater] consumptive field) will make you a lot more buff than you'd otherwise be, and there are several classes that grant turning and rebuking (which gives even more reason to dip into dread necromancer).

You may want to consider grabbing yourself a sand (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) blaster (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?415149-Sand-Blaster-MM3) and tossing some of your WBL into it. The heroics (Spell Compendium) and mirror move (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20000901a) spells can give you fighter feats to use on it so you don't have to use your own feats for it. Note that you don't need Weapon Proficiency to use it, since you don't make any attack rolls. Using black sand (Libris Mortis) as ammo will heal undead, and they don't worry about the Fort saves. A big enough AoE will allow you to blanket the battlefield with repeated blasts of sand, which will heal your allies and penalize your enemies.

[edit] - Go changeling. That way you can put on a separate face for your Evil Overlord persona. That, and changelings have crazy-go-nuts awesome racial ACFs.

We've talked about gestalt and mythic variants and here are the result.

Gestalt: No good he wants this to be a bit of a sluggish/get gud/you're going to die a bit campaign. And i'm okay with it.

Mythic: We'll talk about it on how fast I level up.

From what I've heard it's going to be challenging but so satisfactory if I can pull off what i want to do. The biggest and most important hint I got was using your time the most to get power. In other words Time = power. So he's telling me to rules lawyer, claw, and use technicality to get what i want. Which sounds amazing. I usually do like barbarian or hitty hitty bang bang characters so i wanted to see the spell slinger side of the game lol

ExLibrisMortis
2020-07-02, 05:51 PM
You proooobably don't want horned harbinger, since it'll give away your ID to all and sundry. At least, not until much later. And you don't want it at all unless you're doing gestalt and have cleric all along one side for the caster levels.
You can probably wear a hat of disguise over your crown of horns :smalltongue:. But yes, it's not exactly inconspicuous.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-02, 06:30 PM
Okay, then. It's time to build a crafter caster. Consider going archivist instead of cleric for the extra spells for crafting. The dip into dread necromancer can take care of your turn/rebuke undead. Alternatively, go artificer instead of cleric or archivist and craft scrolls to create/control your undead.

Make sure you've got a dedicated wright, from the Eberron Campaign Setting book. That way you can spend 1 hour per day to craft instead of 8. Stuff it in an enveloping pit (a super-cheap 50' x 10' x 10' portable hole, from the Magic Item Compendium). Use it to craft constantly. Have it craft alchemical items when it's not crafting magic items (as you can only craft magic items for 8 hours/day).

Get bonus feats (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?206315-3-X-PF-Things-That-Grant-Feats) that you can use the dark chaos feat shuffle (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?119456-What-is-a-quot-Chaos-Shuffle-quot) on to get the feats you want for crafting and for the other things you need. Especially important are crafting cost reducers (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1000.0).

You'll also want to get yourself spells that have Instantaneous (as in, permanent) and Permanent durations, such as explosive runes, Shalantha's delicate disk, and fire shuriken. Give these to your undead so they can activate them for alpha strikes, as well as traps you set up ahead of time that you can lead the adventuring parties you "join" into.

Consider Leadership or Undead Leadership (for obvious reasons). Remember that even level 1 characters can craft alchemical items for you.