PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.X] Beetle Buckler

Thurbane
2020-07-02, 12:06 AM
So, this is an interesting little item from the Arms and Equipment guide (Beetle Buckler, p.14; 6,600gp).

Basically, it's a tiny scarab-type beetle that acts as a masterwork buckler, and can also detach and fly about to utilise the Deflect Arrows feat.

The fact that it borders between gear and creature should offer some interesting options.

Firstly, would you say by RAW, it can be enchanted as any other masterwork buckler?

Secondly, what kind of options could you open up if you awakened the beetle (Master of Flies 9 can do this)? It would get +2HD, 3d6 Int and +1d3 Cha.

I'm open to all kinds of optimisation tips and tricks for this little guy. 🐞

Cheers - T

Darrin
2020-07-02, 06:23 AM
Hmm. I don't see anything in the description that says what happens when the beetle gets killed. With only 4 HP, that would happen quite a bit, just with area-effect spells. So... there goes 6600 GP down the drain?

Thurbane
2020-07-03, 05:48 PM
Hmm. I don't see anything in the description that says what happens when the beetle gets killed. With only 4 HP, that would happen quite a bit, just with area-effect spells. So... there goes 6600 GP down the drain?

Good point.

All the more reason to awaken one, I guess.

tiercel
2020-07-03, 06:59 PM
Re-reading it... this item is weird. What is it? It works much like a magic item does, but... is it really technically nonmagical? (Could it still function fully in an AMF?) And if so... how?

Darrin brings up a good point, especially if this really is a nonmagical item... or creature... or both?

To extent it really is a creature, at least while in beetle form, I guess the question is how many Vermin-specific doodahs could be stacked on it, but it does seem a fragile base from which to work.

Bronk
2020-07-03, 07:07 PM

It's the part where it says it's 'effectively a masterwork buckler' once it's attuned to you. At that point, it would be treated as a worn or attended item and not be affected by area effect spells.

Doctor Despair
2020-07-03, 07:26 PM
It's the part where it says it's 'effectively a masterwork buckler' once it's attuned to you. At that point, it would be treated as a worn or attended item and not be affected by area effect spells.

If it were awakened, it should be able to take class levels; would it be able to take actions if it were acting "effectively [as] a masterwork buckler?" If so, that opens up spellcasting for further breaking action-economy in addition to familiars and clones and whatnot.

If not actions, would it retain class features? As a low-optimization option, if it had an aura from Marshall or Dragon Shaman or something, could it still project that aura if it were acting as a shield?

Thurbane
2020-07-03, 08:43 PM
I think it would be fair that while acting as a buckler, it could take any purely mental actions.

I mean, intelligent items can activate powers, which are treated as SLAs from memory.

Dimers
2020-07-03, 09:20 PM
So go psion or the like for class levels.

If it's a creature, can it have templates applied? I think 'warbeast' works for vermin and would help a little with the HP problem at a fraction of the original cost ...

Huh, all beetle bucklers are one size. That's probably both restrictive and abusable.

Do what you can to raise the beetle's Reflex so it can deflect more shots.

schreier
2020-07-03, 09:27 PM
It seems like it's armor - but not definite. Would it work for monks without the issues?

daremetoidareyo
2020-07-03, 10:12 PM
Feed it some armor crystals...

shaikujin
2020-07-03, 10:54 PM
Since it has no more than a +1 enhancement, maybe the rules for Founding a Legacy Weapon can be used.

Other ideas, Verminlord to treat it as a Vermin Servant (and hence a familiar), Hivemind, then apply Symbiotic creature template :D

Telonius
2020-07-05, 08:33 AM
This is an extremely interesting catch. This bit really jumped out at me:

"Once it’s attuned to its wearer, the beetle buckler is effectively a masterwork buckler with a nonmagical +1 enhancement bonus to Armor Class."

I don't think I've ever seen any enhancement bonus called out as nonmagical anywhere else. The table shows it as giving +2 AC, so that's taking into account the +1 enhancement on top of the usual +1 AC from a buckler.

Blue Jay
2020-07-05, 07:12 PM
Do what you can to raise the beetle's Reflex so it can deflect more shots.

In 3.5e, Deflect Arrows no longer requires a Reflex save. Since the beetle buckler's ability specifically says it works as the feat, I assume the buckler would now use the 3.5e mechanics too.

I once made a character out of an awakened jumping caltrop (using the pre-MIC version, which had stats for a jumping caltrop as a Diminutive construct). An awakened beetle buckler sounds entertaining too: I hope Thurbane plans to share a finished build or something.

Thurbane
2020-07-05, 08:23 PM
Near as I can tell, stats for an awakened Beetle Buckler would be as follows (not sure how to apply skill points, or whether it would retain vermin traits):

Size/Type: Tiny magical beast (augmented vermin)
Hit Dice: 3d10 (16 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 24 (+6 natural, +2 size, +6 dex), touch 18, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-9
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-5)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-5)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., deflect arrows, vermin traits (?)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 23, Con 10, Int [3d6], Wis 10, Cha 2 [+1d3]
Skills: Hide +14, Listen +4, Move Silently +10, Spot +4 (?)
Feats: 1, 3 (?)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: (?)
Advancement: (?)
Level Adjustment: —

Bronk
2020-07-05, 09:53 PM
Nifty! And that’s before you equip it... You know, that beetle would probably make a great familiar as well. That would also give it protections, hp, and boost its Int...

daremetoidareyo
2020-07-05, 09:57 PM
Any way to get a sizing enchantment on this bad boy?

Doctor Despair
2020-07-05, 10:36 PM
Nifty! And that’s before you equip it... You know, that beetle would probably make a great familiar as well. That would also give it protections, hp, and boost its Int...

If it can cast spells, why not have a familiar and a buggyboy? Double the additional action economy!

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-06, 12:50 AM
There's got to be a way to turn it into an animal companion, familiar, mount, or something, so it can have Share Spells (and perhaps Share Soulmelds). Actually, once you manage to get Share Spells onto it, you could pull an old trick of mine and give the beetle the Share Soulmeld feat, letting it share its soulmelds with you. It's a bit of a legal grey area, but it is objectively sharing spells with you, even though it isn't the source of those spells.