PDA

View Full Version : One of those Magical Secrets threads, but with an unnerving twist

Reynaerde
2020-07-02, 05:25 AM
I know we see this kind of thread quite often around here, but for my particular magical secrets conundrum I'm looking for some thematic input, rather than pure optimization advice.

My character (whisper bard 12/hexblade warlock 1) is getting more and more heavily involved in the Far Realm elements of the campaign we are playing and I would like some suggestions of spells that have a real cosmic horror kind of feel, which I could nick with my magical secrets at level 14 or 18 (or possibly even the level 10 one, since our DM is quite easy when it comes to that kind of stuff).

If you know some 3rd party spells that really fit this theme, I would be interested in that too!

My list of options so far:

Hunger of Hadar (3)
Evard's Black Tentacles (4)
Summon Aberrant Spirit (4)
Maddening Darkness (8)
Reality Break (8)

diplomancer
2020-07-02, 06:45 AM
Some of the graviturgy (dunamancy from wildemount) spells have that feeling, I believe.

MrStabby
2020-07-02, 09:24 AM
Reverse Gravity
Demiplane
Crown of stars
Contact other plane
Shadow of moil
Mind spike

Reynaerde
2020-07-02, 11:02 AM
Some of the graviturgy (dunamancy from wildemount) spells have that feeling, I believe.Yeah, that's where I got the Reality Break one from, will have another look at the rest.

Reverse Gravity
Demiplane
Crown of stars
Contact other plane
Shadow of moil
Mind spikeThanks! Contact other Plane was on that alternative spell list Unearthed Arcana article a while back, so that one I already have (and I absolutely love it!)