PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Pathfinder Halfling Cavalier, help me optimize tactician stuff

Tyrrell
2020-07-02, 04:32 PM
An old friend is going to start a 1rst ed. pathfinder game in the near future.

I'm planning on playing a (halfling) Cavalier and getting lots of mileage from spirited charge.

I was taken with the ability to share teamwork feats. It's why I took the class (so even if gendarme is a more optimized archetype I'm not drawn to it, I'm thinking about the strategist archetype). Another player is going to play a halfling paladin so we can do cooperative charge when I reach level 11.

I've never played pathfinder before (but I did tons of 3.0 and 3.5 back in the day) and I want to get the most bang out of the teamwork feats. Which ones should I pick?

Precise strike, pack flanking, and outflank all look good. Is there some synergistic creation that I can do that blows these away?

Is there a cavalier order that improves his ability to buff his fellow party members?

Bruh_moment
2020-07-02, 04:41 PM
looking over the teamwork feats, Assuming you use a lance Precise strike would be nice because that D6 is tripled doing and extra 10.5 damage on average, make sure you charge an enemy your friend is next to so this triggers though

10.5 extra damage is by no means the peak of optimization, but its really, really nice at low levels

PS. dont forget that you can ride your favorite war weasel into dungeons (im assuming thats why you chose halling)

Tyrrell
2020-07-02, 05:46 PM
looking over the teamwork feats, Assuming you use a lance Precise strike would be nice because that D6 is tripled doing and extra 10.5 damage on average, make sure you charge an enemy your friend is next to so this triggers though

Two thoughts on this, the first is, the pack flanking teamwork feat allows my mount to flank even if it's not in flanking position, I think. Is that right?

Second, there is this exception listed in the SRD by critical hits
Exception: Precision damage (such as from a rogue’s sneak attack class feature) and additional damage dice from special weapon qualities (such as flaming) are not multiplied when you score a critical hit. is that only from critical hits or does that also mess up my spirited charge multiplier?

Edit, thanks for replying to me. I appreciate it.

Bruh_moment
2020-07-02, 05:51 PM
Two thoughts on this, the first is, the pack flanking teamwork feat allows my mount to flank even if it's not in flanking position, I think. Is that right?

Second, there is this exception listed in the SRD by critical hits is that only from critical hits or does that also mess up my spirited charge multiplier?

Edit, thanks for replying to me. I appreciate it.

first point: yes you count as flanking with that feat as it says (or in the same square as you) which a mount is
second point: I'm 99% sure it does still multiply because it specifies Crits not multipliers as a whole. But i can't find anything on it so ask the dm if it applies

Psyren
2020-07-02, 09:08 PM
If you want a teamwork focused Cavalier then Strategist is definitely the way to go.

Teamwork Feats Handbook (https://rpgbot.net/pathfinder/characters/teamwork_feats.html)

Mnemius
2020-07-02, 11:26 PM
As a GM running a campaign in Pathfinder's ice country... there is a halfing cavalier in the party. I know he has power attack, spirited charge (not sure if that's a feat or class thing), and precise attack (teamwork).

He has rolled crits on charges multiple times now. At least one of them gutted the scary monster of the encounter in one hit before it could even take it's first turn. He is currently wielding a +1 lance.

The party just dinged up to level 6... and now the party is talking about making him and his mount fly for an upcoming dragon fight.

Alexvrahr
2020-07-03, 12:35 AM
Outflank is good. Especially good when high crit range weapons are involved, but they're not required.

Coordinated charge is something to look forward to. Plan accordingly.

Heavenblade
2020-07-03, 12:39 AM
If you want to, you can take the luring cavalier archetype comboe'd with covering fire as a shareable feat, swift aid, and some traits and feats that boost aid another.

Also, escape route feat is pretty fun for a cavalier, especially if you take that neat saddle that I forgot its name.

Kurald Galain
2020-07-03, 04:38 AM
A nice combo is Broken Wing Gambit + Paired Opportunist. Any enemy you hit, if he counterattacks, he's going to eat two opportunity attacks.

Tyrrell
2020-07-03, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm getting a feat tree together with your suggestions (although I don't have as many feats as I'd like and the suggestions are for the most part mutually exclusive, if I do one I don't have the slots to do another).

I've pretty much settled on Order of the sword for the charge damage bonus, although I really do like the order of the Dragon for it's teamwork focus.

Can I ask if there are some feats or magic items that increase charge damage beyond spirited charge (and the cavalier abilities)? I think there was a 3.5 item but I don't recall what it was.