PDA

View Full Version : "Multiple similar abilities"?

Stam
2007-10-28, 10:05 PM
Just what does this entry in the DMG/SRD mean, regarding multiple magical abilities on a single magical item? Any FAQ qualifications, or Sage answers, or anything?

In particular, I'm interested in knowing if a Circlet of Charisma +2 and the Circlet of Persuasion would be considered "similar abilities" for the purposes of adding both abilities to a single circlet.

(Or for my purposes, a Circlet of Intelligence +2 and a custom version of the CoP that works on Int-based skills instead of Cha-based skills.)

MCerberus
2007-10-28, 10:44 PM
Well since they are an "enhancement bonus" and "competence bonus" they could stack. This would be extremely expensive though, as I would put it costing a lot more than just the two items, like how a +2 sword and +3 sword cost less than a +5 sword... and I mean it would cost A LOT more if you wanted to create it.

This also means that the effects would compete with competence bonuses to individual skills AND general CHA enhancing effects.

adanedhel9
2007-10-28, 11:18 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has rules specifically for adding common effects (ability enhancements, save enhancements, etc) onto another item. It suggests that for simple, number-changing effects, you can just tack them on to existing items for no extra cost.

So a circlet of persuasion and charisma +2 would simply be 4500 (circlet of persuasion) + 4000 (ability enhancement +2) = 8500.

bugsysservant
2007-10-28, 11:24 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has rules specifically for adding common effects (ability enhancements, save enhancements, etc) onto another item. It suggests that for simple, number-changing effects, you can just tack them on to existing items for no extra cost.

So a circlet of persuasion and charisma +2 would simply be 4500 (circlet of persuasion) + 4000 (ability enhancement +2) = 8500.

Wait, I thought you multiplied the lower level effects by 1.5 when adding abilities on to an item. 'Course I'm going from memory, since I don't have my MIC at hand, and am too lazy to go fetch.:smallwink:

Douglas
2007-10-28, 11:47 PM
"Similar" in this case means "uses the same resource" (such as charges from a staff), "mostly redundant", or is otherwise difficult or impossible to benefit fully from both abilities at the same time.

leperkhaun
2007-10-29, 01:11 AM
For example - If you have two items that give enhancment bonuses to +INT, you dont combine them, you get the greater of the two.

If you had one that give an insight bonus and one that gives a competance bonus that stacks, however its important to note that basically insight/competance/etc bonuses cost alot more than the "normal" enchantment bonuses.

The exception to this is dodge bonuses, they stack.

To combine multipule effects onto one item, you multiply the lowest costing one bu 1.5 and add it to the other.