PDA

View Full Version : Bountiful Societical Collapse

unseenmage
2020-07-03, 08:16 AM
Inspired by this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?615075-1-Necromancer-vs-1-City/page2) I'm curious about using magic resetting traps or similar to overwhelm a city's infrastructure with an overabundance of whatever we can think of.

(for the purposes of this thread Simulacrum and similar create a living breathing actual creature with intact memories who has no idea they're a copy unless they are given evidence as such.
not here to argue this. this is how it is for this thread please)

Magic resetting traps of Simulacrum and True Creation are where I'm thinking. Other suggestions welcome. I'm imagining hidden traps but publicly available and obvious boon granting magical statuary could work too.

Traps of Sim that copy paste every roach, rat, cat, or dog would be insidious. But how many would.you want and how fast could they destroy a city?

Copying the diseased, infirm, and poor could be amusing too so long as we can keep the location of the trap from being found to fast.
Criminals too. How many thieves and murderers and insurgents can one city really support?

Another idea was True Creation or similar to make too much wealth. We're always told that free money schemes will wreck economies. Good, what if that's the goal. Let's weaponize the idea and start leaving magically generated loot crates and "lost" money pouches all over the city.
How long before that crashed economy kicks in? :smallsmile:

Hmm. Only Simulacrum-ing diseased fleas, ticks, roaches, mice, rats, cats, and dogs could be pretty effective. Assuming the trap resets every round and only copies one such creature per activation even.

My ruling is that Simulacrum can Sim another Sim too so our diseased copies can themselves be copied.
But if the disease is copied so too will its progression so the copies could possibly all die at once limiting their effectiveness as a vector.

Other overabundance bounties we can flood a city with to collapse society and destroy livelihoods?
Too much sugar so obesity and diabetes and tooth decay become a plague?
Traps that make drugs or overflow water reservoirs?
Sell the city lord a trap that makes soldiers resulting in an inevitable military state where the soldier Sims have overthrown normal law and order?

What're your ideas playground?

EDIT
hmm. magic resetting traps that randomly grant inspiration and or prophesy could be pretty destabilizing.

suddenly theres too many people fighting over too many perfect futures.

EDIT AGAIN
War Magic Study (Dragon mag feat, makes spells affect whole battlefields.) versions for multiplicative waves of infrastructure exhaustion.

The Viscount
2020-07-03, 09:39 AM
Sit down to craft a club. Clubs cost 0 gp and thus can be created in no time. You can thus create any number of clubs you want the instant you sit down. Flood the streets with clubs. Clubs piled 5 feet high, blocking the doors, burying Small villagers. Plus being made of wood, they're flammable.

Palanan
2020-07-03, 10:25 AM
Tribbles. Clearly you want to mass-produce tribbles.

:smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-03, 11:19 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

This is my handbook on how to do it.

Consider what might happen if these techniques are done too quickly, in a rigid, hierarchical feudal society with a highly protectionist, stratified agrarian economy. The rigid social order, and the basis of essentially every class, would be immediately thrown out the window. There'd be mass chaos.