PDA

View Full Version : Magic item help for a pyromancer

moonfly7
2020-07-03, 09:12 AM
I'm playing a 7th level tiefling sorcerer with the UA pyromancy blood line and almost exclusively fire based spells(I've asked several questions pertaining to said character on the forums recently if this sounds familiar). My DM is using the extra starting equipment rules, so I get 1 uncommon magic item, or 2 common(the 2 common is his personal ruling) now usually I'm all over this, but for once my characters flavor doesn't really get a significant boost from a magic item, and I also Would prefer more roleplaying oriented items than just a +1 wand or the like.
That being said I've got no idea what to choose. Basically every source for magic items is allowed, even modules or the like. Our DM is pretty much fine with any item so long as it was printed by wizards. Any suggestions you can give me would be great.

TLDR: I need help choosing an uncommon magic item for a fire based sorcerer and don't want a generic +1.

Falconcry
2020-07-03, 12:56 PM
Decanter of Endless Water. Sometimes you go to far Dave ...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-03, 01:26 PM
Clothes of Mending, common, Xanathar's.
Wand of Conducting/Pyrotechnics/Scowls/Smiles, common, Xanathar's.

Moon-Touched Sword (greatsword, but say it was made for a tiny fey creature and that it's actually dagger-sized), common, Xanathar's.
Orb of Direction, common, Xanathar's.
Orb of Time, common, Xanathar's.

Ruby of the War Mage, common, attuned, Xanathars (if you plan to carry a weapon).

Broom of Flying, uncommon, core rules; "How about a little fire, Scarecrow?"
Slippers of Spider Climbing, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

Cloak of Protection, uncommon, attuned, core rules.
Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone), uncommon, attuned, core rules.
Weapon (dagger? Moon-Touched?) of Warning, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

Robe of Useful Items, uncommon, core rules.

Wand of Magic Missiles, uncommon, core rules.
Wand of Web, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

That's just the interesting things I found when skimming the items of a given category. Considering you have darkvision, a Moon-Touched (dagger) of Warning with a Ruby of the War Mage isn't exactly necessary, but would otherwise be a cool choice. A weapon of warning on anyone in the party is absurdly good and overcomes resistance to nonmagic weapon damage, so be sure to pitch that to the weapon-users in your party.

I would personally take the Clothes of Mending (they're constantly getting singed but always look perfect the next morning), one of the orbs or social wands, and the broom of flying. Put a strap on the broom and carry it on your back bristles-up, when you need to fly just reach down and pull the handle of the broom forward between your legs.

Throne12
2020-07-03, 09:56 PM
So it can be anything published by wotc. Ok so go look in the guild masters guide to ravnica. There is a uncommon magic item called Mizzium Apparatus it is a God send item for sorcerers. Because it let's you try and cast any spell from the casters spell list and it acts as a arcane focus.

moonfly7
2020-07-04, 07:36 AM
Decanter of Endless Water. Sometimes you go to far Dave ...
I actually thought about that! Considering my DM and I discussed introducing me via a self caused forest fire, I thought it might be useful.

Clothes of Mending, common, Xanathar's.
Wand of Conducting/Pyrotechnics/Scowls/Smiles, common, Xanathar's.

Moon-Touched Sword (greatsword, but say it was made for a tiny fey creature and that it's actually dagger-sized), common, Xanathar's.
Orb of Direction, common, Xanathar's.
Orb of Time, common, Xanathar's.

Ruby of the War Mage, common, attuned, Xanathars (if you plan to carry a weapon).

Broom of Flying, uncommon, core rules; "How about a little fire, Scarecrow?"
Slippers of Spider Climbing, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

Cloak of Protection, uncommon, attuned, core rules.
Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone), uncommon, attuned, core rules.
Weapon (dagger? Moon-Touched?) of Warning, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

Robe of Useful Items, uncommon, core rules.

Wand of Magic Missiles, uncommon, core rules.
Wand of Web, uncommon, attuned, core rules.

That's just the interesting things I found when skimming the items of a given category. Considering you have darkvision, a Moon-Touched (dagger) of Warning with a Ruby of the War Mage isn't exactly necessary, but would otherwise be a cool choice. A weapon of warning on anyone in the party is absurdly good and overcomes resistance to nonmagic weapon damage, so be sure to pitch that to the weapon-users in your party.

I would personally take the Clothes of Mending (they're constantly getting singed but always look perfect the next morning), one of the orbs or social wands, and the broom of flying. Put a strap on the broom and carry it on your back bristles-up, when you need to fly just reach down and pull the handle of the broom forward between your legs.
Wand of pyrotechnics and clothes of mending sounds pretty useful.

So it can be anything published by wotc. Ok so go look in the guild masters guide to ravnica. There is a uncommon magic item called Mizzium Apparatus it is a God send item for sorcerers. Because it let's you try and cast any spell from the casters spell list and it acts as a arcane focus.
Definitley a useful item. Not entirely sure I'll take it, but very nice. Feels a little more flavored towards wild magic but I won't deny that it's useful.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-04, 11:23 AM

Definitley a useful item. Not entirely sure I'll take it, but very nice. Feels a little more flavored towards wild magic but I won't deny that it's useful.

So, the Mizzium Apparatus is made by the Izzet League to aid their casters who do a lot of experimenting. "The popular conception of the Izzet League is based on mad inventions, dangerous experiments, and explosive blasts." The Izzet Engineer background adds a whole lot of cool spells to your class spell list that you can choose as spells known, such as Produce Flame, Create or Destroy Water, Heat Metal, Conjure Elemental, etc. for a Sorcerer.

All the Ravnica lore was ported over from M:TG, in which the Izzet cards take both blue (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Blue) and red (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Red) mana. I'd say this is absolutely fitting for the type of character you're making, both in mechanics and flavor.

moonfly7
2020-07-05, 09:38 AM
So, the Mizzium Apparatus is made by the Izzet League to aid their casters who do a lot of experimenting. "The popular conception of the Izzet League is based on mad inventions, dangerous experiments, and explosive blasts." The Izzet Engineer background adds a whole lot of cool spells to your class spell list that you can choose as spells known, such as Produce Flame, Create or Destroy Water, Heat Metal, Conjure Elemental, etc. for a Sorcerer.

All the Ravnica lore was ported over from M:TG, in which the Izzet cards take both blue (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Blue) and red (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Red) mana. I'd say this is absolutely fitting for the type of character you're making, both in mechanics and flavor.

I mean, I didn't explain this so you couldn't know, but my character is an escaped slave from the underdark. He learned magic because once his drow owner realised he can cast normal spells in a firey form she thought it was entertaining and made him learn magic to please her. He used this knowledge to eventually escape.
When I join the game I'll have just gotten out of the underdark a week or 2 ago. Any items I have were stolen from there, and I don't think that the drow have intense knowledge of magic that borders technology like the izzit.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-05, 11:04 AM
I mean, I didn't explain this so you couldn't know, but my character is an escaped slave from the underdark. He learned magic because once his drow owner realised he can cast normal spells in a firey form she thought it was entertaining and made him learn magic to please her. He used this knowledge to eventually escape.
When I join the game I'll have just gotten out of the underdark a week or 2 ago. Any items I have were stolen from there, and I don't think that the drow have intense knowledge of magic that borders technology like the izzit.

Who's to say this setting doesn't have an organization of drow wizards equivalent to the Izzet League, prone to experiment mishaps? The matron who had your character captive asked a member of her house who's part of that organization to teach you magic, rather than do it herself, and you picked up most of their standard practices. You could have grabbed one such device on your way out.

Refer to PHB p125, Customizing Background. Adjust the Izzet Engineer to give appropriate skill/language/tool proficiencies for what your character has learned, and replace the background feature with one that's more fitting (such as those found in Out of the Abyss (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/OotA_CharacterBackgrounds.pdf)). Also replace the background equipment and class equipment package with whatever gear you scavenged (value determined by starting wealth). All you really keep from it is the extremely fitting (but not necessarily more powerful) spells added to your class spell list.

moonfly7
2020-07-05, 11:50 AM
Who's to say this setting doesn't have an organization of drow wizards equivalent to the Izzet League, prone to experiment mishaps? The matron who had your character captive asked a member of her house who's part of that organization to teach you magic, rather than do it herself, and you picked up most of their standard practices. You could have grabbed one such device on your way out.

Refer to PHB p125, Customizing Background. Adjust the Izzet Engineer to give appropriate skill/language/tool proficiencies for what your character has learned, and replace the background feature with one that's more fitting (such as those found in Out of the Abyss (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/OotA_CharacterBackgrounds.pdf)). Also replace the background equipment and class equipment package with whatever gear you scavenged (value determined by starting wealth). All you really keep from it is the extremely fitting (but not necessarily more powerful) spells added to your class spell list.

My DM is the one to say so actually. He's pretty chill but I know for a fact that his drow aren't like this and even though he would likely add it for me if I asked, I don't like that concept for my character and won't be doing so. It's a great suggestion but I don't like the flavor personally as we're playing a less industrial more classic midevil setting and quite frankly neither I nor my DM like the extra spells via background from that book, and if I wanted a specific spell outside of sorcerer all I'd have to do is ask and he would likely let me have it. But moreover I've already got my background, backstory, and everything else fleshed out, so I just need help with the magic item, and I'd rather not take the Mizzium Apparatus, mostly because I'm more focused on flavor and story for this character than maximising effectiveness, but if I was doing that I'd likely take the Apparatus and background.