PDA

View Full Version : Deck Of Many Things “Flames” Ideas Needed!

Eunuchorn
2020-07-03, 10:40 AM
I’m already running a pretty demon heavy homebrew, and one of my PC’s drew the Flames card. The PC that drew the card is not the owner and doesn’t make it to all of our sessions, so I run her as an NPC most of the time.

I’m thinking of starting out with nightmares of fiery hellscapes, seeing glowing eyes in the dreams and then waking life. Not sure what else to do that’s not too “in your face demon attack” stuff.

What are some things y’all have seen done with this card?

“ A powerful devil becomes your enemy. The devil seeks your ruin and plagues your life, savoring your suffering before attempting to slay you. This enmity lasts until either you or the devil dies.”

Keltest
2020-07-03, 10:48 AM
Does the character own property? Perhaps it is vandalized or ransacked. If the PCs have a home base, perhaps the nearby NPCs become convinced that the PC committed some kind of crime against them. Perhaps their friends suddenly become alienated from them, believing them to be deliberately trying to cut them out of their life. If they go out drinking, the devil could maybe persuade the innkeeper to give them significantly harder stuff than they ordered.

Basically, anything that they like, try and orchestrate to have it taken away. But be fair about it, give them a chance to refute the charges, catch the drink, actually make contact with their friends and family, etc...

HappyDaze
2020-07-03, 10:48 AM
The most dangerous encounters with devils usually involve social interactions. Let the devil find ways to manipulate the character or those the character cares about. The suffering that can come about as the devil turns the character's friends and allies (aside, perhaps, from other PCs) against the character can be lovely without combat ever occurring.

Eunuchorn
2020-07-03, 11:03 AM
The most dangerous encounters with devils usually involve social interactions. Let the devil find ways to manipulate the character or those the character cares about. The suffering that can come about as the devil turns the character's friends and allies (aside, perhaps, from other PCs) against the character can be lovely without combat ever occurring.

Does the character own property? Perhaps it is vandalized or ransacked. If the PCs have a home base, perhaps the nearby NPCs become convinced that the PC committed some kind of crime against them. Perhaps their friends suddenly become alienated from them, believing them to be deliberately trying to cut them out of their life. If they go out drinking, the devil could maybe persuade the innkeeper to give them significantly harder stuff than they ordered.

Basically, anything that they like, try and orchestrate to have it taken away. But be fair about it, give them a chance to refute the charges, catch the drink, actually make contact with their friends and family, etc...

Oh wow my brain totally read demon in the card description. Yes, devils obsession with social hierarchy does open up my prospects. My main issue with doing this is she is essentially playing an NPC that is worked into the main storyline. She joined our campaign late so has almost no personal attachment to the storyline or the city they met her in.
She was assigned to the party by the king to look into various happenings. I have a full scale siege planned already against this city and it’s going to fall. She is also not a very experienced dnd player and so I will probably have to make it a little more in her face.