PDA

View Full Version : True Dragon Questions: Best Alternate Forms? Best Half-Dragon Alternate form? & More!

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-03, 02:58 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what forms a Nickel Dragon would favor if they got the feats Alternate form and Half-Dragon Alternate form, per the feats in Dragons of Eberron.

As a GM, I'm thinking this Young Adult Nickel dragon is a little naive about the world, and has a pile of low self esteem and body image issues and various other problems that constitute more than just a monster to attack (such as wanting to be good, having no idea whatsoever how to go about doing that, and being a massive headache for the party that it'd be immoral for them to just kill).

What I want to think about, is possible solutions she might seek out or have others 'help' her with (since therapy hasn't been invented yet). Namely:

-The Loredrake template (helps her have access to more & more useful spells at Young Adult)
-The Alternate Form feat
-The Half Dragon Alternate Form feat

So, what are some of the 'top tier' Alternate Forms for her to use?

The idea here is that they be:
-Powerful when the Alternate Form ability is used to become them (ideally Medium, not small)
-Don't look especially ugly, which would likely be implied by a racial charisma score below 8 (unless it's a 7, and the picture doesn't look that disagreeable. See: Slig)
-Ideally, are extra comfortable for her to be in the body of (scales and some form of amphibious ability are solid plusses)

So far, front runners are things like Tren or Troglizard, Slig and Ghaggler, Mwellret, Quanak Lizardfolk, Zek'ira Lizardfolk. The Flind Gnoll doesn't actually seem all that great, except for the higher strength...

Also, for this dragon, what are some good gishy options for her? I'm thinking of her using mostly melee options; what sorcerer spells she has are mostly buffs of some sort, with maybe a bit of Tome of Battle (via feats, which Dragons have lots of), perhaps also a bit of Magic of Incarnum, again via feats, but I am not sure about the specifics. Any suggestions, especially since she'd favor claws?