PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bag of Tricks broken?

Greywander
2020-07-04, 02:07 PM
I was just looking at the Bag of Tricks and noticed that (a) you can only use it three times a day, but it never runs out, (b) the animals it summons also never expire, they are permanent, oh, and also (c) the animal is friendly toward you and can be commanded as a BA, also with no expiration.

I feel like this item would be more "balanced" if either you could only use it a certain number of times before it lost its magic, or if the animals disappeared after a certain amount of time. As it is, you can use it to summon food, mounts, distractions, combat minions, etc., and can even stockpile them by summoning them during days off (provided you have the means to care for them).

I'm not complaining, I think this makes it a really neat and useful item, I'm just surprised from a game design standpoint that someone allowed this to go through. I am a bit worried that it could be exploited too easily, which might feel clever the first time but would quickly stop being fun if it's used over and over.

MaxWilson
2020-07-04, 02:42 PM
AFB but I'm reasonably sure the animals expire after a day, instead of being permanent. Edit: Online sources say:

"You can use an action to pull the fuzzy object from the bag and throw it up to 20 feet. When the object lands, it transforms into a creature you determine by rolling a d8 and consulting the table that corresponds to the bag's color. The creature vanishes at the next dawn or when it is reduced to 0 Hit Points."

So no multi-day stockpiling.

DeadMech
2020-07-04, 02:43 PM
When I look it up online it has the line "The creature vanishes at the next dawn or when it is reduced to 0 Hit Points."

which is missing from the DMG. Looking now it was fixed in errata.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DMG_Errata.pdf

Greywander
2020-07-04, 04:05 PM
Ah, well that dramatically curbs the potential exploitiveness of this item.