PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Undine Race

Lightmagemike
2020-07-04, 04:49 PM
Undine

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.

Size. Your size is medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Languages. You speak common and Aquan.

Protection of the Coral Palace. Regardless of subrace, all Undine have an innate resistance to the cold, Frost Undine having naturally adapted to the cold and snowy environment of the poles and Deep Undine used to the chill of the ocean floor. You have resistance to Cold damage.

Vivian’s Heart. Undine have an innate connection to water and as such, have a natural sense for it nearby. You are aware of the general location of all water sources within 30 feet and, if there is not one in that range, know the general direction of the closest water source within 5 miles.

Subraces

Deep Undine

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Beloved of Umeran. In addition to the normal protection from cold granted by an Undine’s natural state, Deep Undine are further protected from the ocean environments and are capable of both breathing underwater as though normal and resisting the adverse effects of the ocean depths. Though Deep Undine can breath underwater, sleeping underwater is taxing and they gain a point of exhaustion for each night spent underwater.

Darkvision. You have Darkvision out to 60 feet, used to the lack of light in the ocean depths.

Swimming. You have a swim speed equal to your walking speed.

Frost Undine

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.

Sighorn’s Chosen. In addition to the normal protection from cold granted by an Undine’s natural state, Deep Undine are further protected from the crippling cold environments and are capable of both traveling across tundra environments to no penalty and resisting the adverse effects of cold climates.

Wisdom of Celari. As a child of winter, you can call upon the magic of water’s ice aspect. You know the Shape Snow cantrip (using Shape Water but exclusively allowed to target snow) with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast Create or Destroy Snow (as Shape Snow but with Create or Destroy Water) with it, and starting at 5th level, you can also cast Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm with it. You may cast each of these spells (not counting the cantrip) once per long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

DeTess
2020-07-05, 03:40 AM
Overall I like these, however, I wanted to comment on the following two abilities.

Beloved of Umeran. In addition to the normal protection from cold granted by an Undine’s natural state, Deep Undine are further protected from the ocean environments and are capable of both breathing underwater as though normal and resisting the adverse effects of the ocean depths. Though Deep Undine can breath underwater, sleeping underwater is taxing and they gain a point of exhaustion for each night spent underwater.

Doesn't this point of exhaustion immediately get removed by the fact that a long rest removes a point of exhaustion? If so, I'd reword the ability to 'you do not remove any exhaustion after a long rest when sleeping underwater' to make it clearer. If this ability is instead intended to slowly increase your exhaustion, I'd also add that line, once again to make it unambiguous.

Sighorn’s Chosen. In addition to the normal protection from cold granted by an Undine’s natural state, Deep Undine are further protected from the crippling cold environments and are capable of both traveling across tundra environments to no penalty and resisting the adverse effects of cold climates.

This doesn't actually do anything. having resistance to cold already protects you against the effects of extreme cold, as per the DMG, page 110.

Anonymouswizard
2020-07-05, 05:36 AM
I like it, although I'd be wary of allowing the Deep Undine if sailing was a large part of the game I can't see anything actually overpowered even in that circumstance (at least compared to 'you are immune to the negative effects of vacuum' in a space game, which I have seen before).

I'd also change 'breathing underwater at though normal' to 'breathing underwater as though it was air', just for clarity's sake. While it's clear from context what you mean, somebody is going to point out it can be read 'they can breathe underwater as though it was water (and as such down)' if doing so would give them an advantage.