PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5: The Gnomehound

Adamantrue
2020-07-04, 06:00 PM
Little details help fill out campaign worlds. Even if its kinda silly.

Gnomehounds are a specialized breed of dachshunds (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund), somewhat common in gnome communities. They have a slow burrow speed, which does allow gnomes to communicate with them. These are the statistics of a "wartrained" version.

Gnomehound
Size/Type Tiny Animal
Hit Dice 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative +3
Speed 35 ft, Burrow 5 ft
Armor Class 17 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple +0/-9
Attack Bite +0 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack Bite +0 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks Trip
Special Qualities Low-Light Vision, Scent
Saves Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities Str 9 (-1), Dex 19 (+4), Con 13 (+1), Int 2 (-4), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 6 (-2)
Skills Listen +5, Jump +3, Spot +5, Survival +1*
Feats Alertness, Trackᴮ
Environment Temperate plains
Organization Solitary, Pair, or Pack (1d8+4) (Domesticated)
Challenge Rating 1/3

A gnomehound is small and long, and rarely weighs more than 20 pounds. Trained for tracking and hunting burrowing pests, such as garter snakes, they also make loving pets to gnome families.
Combat
Gnomehounds generally hunt in packs, chasing and exhausting prey until they can drag it down.
Trip (Ex): A gnomehound that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the gnomehound.
Skills
A gnomehound has a +4 racial bonus on Jump checks. Gnomehounds have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Price (adult): 75 gp

jjordan
2020-07-04, 06:20 PM
To be honest, when I clicked on this I thought I was going to see a variety of dachshund bred to hunt gnomes.

Lord Foul
2020-07-04, 06:43 PM
To be honest, when I clicked on this I thought I was going to see a variety of dachshund bred to hunt gnomes.

Given a goblin icon this is particularly amusing.

Regardless, seems like a fun bit of world building fodder, and it could make for a good familiar.

noob
2020-07-06, 05:07 AM
Simple question: is it a burrow movement that leaves a tunnel or not?

Adamantrue
2020-07-09, 01:44 PM
Simple question: is it a burrow movement that leaves a tunnel or not?
Initially, I just assumed that it would go with the standard Burrow (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#burrow) description, and fill in material behind itself.

I don't know how useful it would be for a Tiny animal to leave a tunnel, even for Small characters like Gnomes. But strangely, I kinda like the idea.

rferries
2020-07-20, 11:16 AM
This is a very charming idea. :)